Absolute horse shit™ The official thread of Railton Heavy Industries Limited and it's subsidiaries.

Heidel_Kakao

post-82-0-72966700-1508091822_thumb.jpg
Dumped at the defunct pub
post-82-0-67816300-1508091888_thumb.jpg
I didn't expect I would need a thread dealing with regular cars as I only intended to buy estates going forwards, however I accidentally won a Proton & I still have a Corrado which I should probably do something with in the future so here we go.

The Proton is safely back home after an easy and enjoyable collection that involved maybe the worlds only Lexus V8 taxi which picked me up from Caersws train station, after that it was a fun blat home on twisty Welsh and English roads without a hint of motorway and a pit stop at Newtown for coffee and petrol.
post-82-0-77169600-1508091937_thumb.jpg
I also had to stop to piss in a field as you do which is where the above photo was taken. So initial impressions of my "prize"? This thing is a real hoot :) It was great fun to hustle along the A & B roads and I even did an overtake! There is a flat spot around 2000 RPM (yes it has a rev counter) which causes a bit of kangarooing at low speeds but this should hopefully be cured by a much overdue service. Performance wise it actually feels lively, compared to the XM's and Impreza I have been driving recently it's obviously much lighter and feels quite eager at lower speeds even with the aforementioned flat spot, I had it to up to an indicated 80MPH at a few points and I am sure it would go even higher on the motorway, also the lack of power steering made for quite a different driving experience, it's been too long that I have had such a basic car so I am glad to have won it.

I already have a dilemma about whether or not I should wash it, I was intending to go for a vibe of cared for but also giffer owned and bodged which would involve cleaning it but leaving all the dodgy repairs and mismatched bonnet etc intact. Or I could just leave it as is with years of valuable patina, I may have to toss a coin to decide if it gets washed or not. It has MOT till August so I don't have to worry about that in the immediate future.

Things what need doing to it fairly soon in no particular order;

• Straighten the steering wheel as it is off center
  • Bloody good service. It came with a oil filter and I have some 10W40 in the garage. Will also need spark plugs, air filter etc
  • Fix the temp gauge. It's currently stuck near the top of it's travel and while I am sure it's not overheating I would still like to have a working gauge
  • Fix the drivers window so it does not fall off the runner when opened and Maccie D's drive thru's can be visited
  • Source a new petrol cap, it currently has one of those emergency ones which is not even the right colour!
  • Clean the interior which is rather minging even by my low standards

That should be enough to getting on with at least. I am off to read the owners manual now to fully acquaint myself with my new Proton.
post-82-0-19972800-1508092019_thumb.jpg

temp gauge, depends on how it is wired up.

traditional lucarse method would be to run a regulated 10v to the gauge from a voltage stabiliser. the circuit then earth through the temp sendor on the engine.

If it was wired like this ^^ *

test #1 would be to locate the sender on the engine and pull the wire off it. gauge should drop to nowt. = replace sender, if it doesnt, replace gauge

If the gauge appears to over read and teh sender is ok, find the voltage regulator and ensure that it is earthed to the cars body. Another Brit car from the 60s through 80s anomaly is that if the temp gauge is over reading there is a good chance the fuel gauge will too.

*more likely it will be horrifically complex with at least one ecu in line

post-82-0-50809200-1508104396_thumb.jpg

I have just been for a random night time drive for no reason which I have not done for years which must say something about the Proton. You can see the situation with the temp gauge in the photo as that is from stone cold.

I forgot to mention earlier that it also appears to use hardly any fuel, I chucked £20 in at Newtown which nearly filled the tank and it's barely nibbled at it. Oh and it seems to have a great heater too. Would make a superb WBOD if I didn't walk to work.

Edit - DW did a much better job of the dashboard picture in the dash at night thread!

Potential problem in Proton paradise..... So I looked under the bonnet for the first time this morning and the majority of my coolant appears to have escaped :( The expansion tank is completely empty and radiator also seems to be pretty much empty based on squeezing the radiatior hoses and removing the rad cap. Hopefully no actual damage has been done to the engine as it was still driving fine when I took it for a quick spin last night and there is no mayo on the oil cap so best case scenario may just be something as simple as a leak somewhere.

New priority job is cooling system flush, refilling with fresh coolant, keeping an eye on it and fixing the bloody temp gauge.

I wonder if I could rig up a temporary temperature gauge from stuff I have lying around in the garage.....

I may have over panicked, I always get paranoid where cooling systems are involved. I topped up the water at lunchtime and it didn't take much to fill the radiator to the top again so I don't think it has lost that much after all.  Will still go through the cooling system as a priority though just for peace of mind and to see if it loses coolant again.

I may have over panicked, I always get paranoid where cooling systems are involved. I topped up the water at lunchtime and it didn't take much to fill the radiator to the top again so I don't think it has lost that much after all. Will still go through the cooling system as a priority though just for peace of mind and to see if it loses coolant again.

I think it's standard for the coolant level to drop after the head gasket has been replaced especially if hasn't been used much.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

post-82-0-01056800-1508232856_thumb.jpg

Part of the fun of getting a new car for me is browsing eBay to see what crap I can find to buy for it. I just purchased the above stamps for some reason along with actual useful things like a Haynes manual, HT lead set etc.

Now I am debating whether I should buy a Proton key fob or not, plus I would like a brochure.....

attachicon.gifstamps.jpg

Part of the fun of getting a new car for me is browsing eBay to see what crap I can find to buy for it. I just purchased the above stamps for some reason along with actual useful things like a Haynes manual, HT lead set etc.

Now I am debating whether I should buy a Proton key fob or not, plus I would like a brochure.....

I'm sure I have Saga tat kicking about including the postcard the stamps should go on... it doesn't go for huge coin.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

post-82-0-66840100-1508267800_thumb.jpg
post-82-0-29066700-1508267847_thumb.jpg
Updates coming thick and fast with the Proton which reflects my enthusiasm levels with it, Dollywobblers assessment that there is a great little car waiting to burst out of this thing seems accurate :)

I had the day off work and the weather was nice so I decided to take the dogs to the park. I don't think they like the Proton as much as I do, maybe they have become spoilt by the XM.
post-82-0-72424500-1508267890_thumb.jpg
Then I started to do something about the interior.
post-82-0-96727400-1508267959_thumb.jpg
I removed the boot carpet and it's currently in the washing machine, I will probably remove the rear seats completely as well to aid cleaning.
post-82-0-16262500-1508267996_thumb.jpg
Then a few screws later and this happened, I am going to fiddle with the instrument cluster and see if the temp gauge is fixable, if not I may have to get another one from a scrapyard and swap the temp gauge over. Oh and I removed the gearstick gaiter to wash that too. Actual mechanical tinkering will have to wait till I am next round my mother's house.

post-82-0-46187200-1508361511_thumb.jpg

I discovered what was wrong with the temp gauge, the little plastic arm thing had popped off the little metal peg thing, technical I know. I put it back together correctly but the needle seemed to be sitting too low at rest, so I adjusted this as there is a cam where it can be moved.

post-82-0-54279800-1508361712_thumb.jpg

I went for a quick test drive to get it warm and it works :)

post-82-0-05172600-1508361814_thumb.jpg

And here it is at rest with the ignition off, that is good enough for me.

Nice one! That must make driving it a lot less concerning.

Yeah it sure does :) I will keep an eye out for a spare cluster though just in case.

Ooo, looks like you're going full Vulgalour on the interior here.  Nice!

I wouldn't go that far! I am going to do the engine bay as well after being inspired by your efforts and the ChrisFix video you linked to. I am puting off cleaning the exterior of the car as I want to take it to some car shows looking like a shit heap just to see what kind of a reaction I get, I am childish like that.

I have a set of clocks removed from a 1987 Lancer which should fit - worked fine when removed. I also have other stuff from same model. Not much as it's a while when I broke it up and i've slowly moved stuff on other the years.

I still have a 1986 Lancer and a 1995 Proton - not done much with em mind been busy with other stuff. Glad this one has been saved for now.

Another good days worth of Proton tinkering today.

post-82-0-74234000-1508524761_thumb.jpg

Engine oil and filter change in progress.

post-82-0-98312200-1508524833_thumb.jpg

Rust discovered when expansion tank removed for cleaning.

post-82-0-26147400-1508524959_thumb.jpg

Before and after with the floor mats, they came up ok after being jet washed then used Megs Natural Shine.

post-82-0-92964700-1508525027_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-05802200-1508525108_thumb.jpg

The results of my first ever engine bay cleaning session, not bad but could do better. I also got the coolant changed today after giving the system a thorough flushing.

Impressive. Not nice to find a new hole, but shouldn't be much bother to sort out.

I've no idea what the white gunk is all over the brake master cylinder and stuff in that area. My first guess was overspray after its front ender, but it almost looks like fire extinguisher powder to me.

Yeah that white powder is a bit of a mystery, it kind of disappeared when wet but then came back when it dried, I don't know if brakes would have set on fire though. I just hope it's not Cocaine or the Police will be after me lol.

I like Corrados (I’ve owned two).

I like greyhounds (I’ve owned two).

I like SC100’s (a mate owned a black one in the early 90’s - they were silly rare even then).

I don’t like Protons (I’ve not owned any).

I didn’t want to like this, but I’ve liked it, because I like it. Great work. Maybe the greyhounds will come around to it in time.

f423bac0a9424661b6935afa9f50cd8c--funny-

I like Corrados (I’ve owned two).

I like greyhounds (I’ve owned two).

I like SC100’s (a mate owned a black one in the early 90’s - they were silly rare even then).

I don’t like Protons (I’ve not owned any).

I didn’t want to like this, but I’ve liked it, because I like it. Great work. Maybe the greyhounds will come around to it in time. f423bac0a9424661b6935afa9f50cd8c--funny-

Cheers :) It does feel a bit perverse to be spending time and effort working on the Proton when I could be fixing "proper" classics like the SC100 or Corrado. This Proton is one of the best rubbish cars I have had though and sometimes you would rather be fixing new problems on a new car than dealing with old problems on a car you have had for ages.

Oh and you should try a Proton, they have my seal of approval :)

Cheers :) It does feel a bit perverse to be spending time and effort working on the Proton when I could be fixing "proper" classics like the SC100 or Corrado. This Proton is one of the best rubbish cars I have had though and sometimes you would rather be fixing new problems on a new car than dealing with old problems on a car you have had for ages.

Oh and you should try a Proton, they have my seal of approval :)

I need to buy a VR6 Corrado first. I’ve owned a couple of 16 valvers, VR Golfs including a mk2 conversion but never a VR Corrado. Still lookers despite the fact the design is nigh-on thirty years old.

Back to the Proton though, keep up the good work!