Absolute horse shit™ The official thread of Railton Heavy Industries Limited and it's subsidiaries.

Heidel_Kakao

18 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Merc's classic support really is that good (and cheap). My dad is something of a skinflint, yet he always used to visit the M-B dealer for parts when he had his 190E in the mid-2000s, something he never did with any other car he'd owned. 

I’ve bought a few things from Mercedes dealer in ascot. Last was an ignition lock - they apologised it would be three days. Just less than £90 I think. They seem very good on heritage parts unlike modern Citroen.

On 25/06/2021 at 04:43, Heidel_Kakao said:

https://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/,26,/89886/DAF_8x6_DROPS_Multilift_.htm

They have the Leyland version, it's cool sure but if you squint it looks like a bigger version of my Roadrunner, the Foden just looks much harder.

but i think there is more chance the Leyland/Daft version is road legal

Screenshot_20210508-193317_eBay.thumb.jpg.35f683e33e858266f90b14f43894ab01.jpg

So if all Roadrunner have the inherent ability to drive on two wheels.... Does that translate to it's bigger brother's?

15631916354.jpeg.4894b731f6ca2f479011ba5810ee9b6f.jpeg

Could a Leyland DROPS be driven on four wheels?....

Screenshot_20210509-000653_YouTube.thumb.jpg.cc231c13c91b5981e0328a2bff4a42a7.jpg

Gilbert Bataille the man, the myth, the legend already demonstrated in 1986's License to Kill a big truck can also be driven on "two wheels"

Screenshot_20210508-234535_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a49722112a66607d5e6649483cd1188d.jpg

Lately a philosophy of mine has been, "what was once done can be done again", we could make Concorde again, Titanic, Brighton and Rottingdean Seashore Electric Railway, whatever. If humanity did it once before, they can do it again.

So if Gilbert showed us the way, why not honor his legacy and get improbably large vehicles balancing on their wheels again 😀

On 6/29/2021 at 10:07 PM, Steve79 said:

Majestic Major?

Something bigger and older I think. It dwarfs the Mercedes grille and looks big enough for a small truck. 

I reckon some long dead limousine  from the early 1950s. I assume that film was made in Oz and there’s all sorts of treasure in rural junkyards over there.

10 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

By the way, what on earth does DROPS stand for?

The 8x6 Drops (Demountable Rack Off Pickup System) is a logistical support vehicle designed for the flexible delivery of a range of cargoes in arduous conditions.

The vehicle features the Multi Lift Mk4 Load Handling system, which is capable of uplifting 15,000kg of cargo on purpose built flat racks and able to switch between, lift, tip and slide configuration with 3rd service connections for additional hydraulic powered equipment.

Using the appropriate Flat Rack, these vehicles are able to lift, transport and deploy a 20ft ISO container, there are also DROPs bodied containers which can be directly mounted to the vehicle without the use of a Flat Rack. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demountable_Rack_Offload_and_Pickup_System

Wikipedia says the Foden is the improved version.

However I have actually after thinking it over and consulting with my main supplier decided to hold off on purchasing something capable of moving a Stolly. You could maybe call it being "sensible". I absolutely want the ability to move my own kit but have realised it's something I should work my way up to.

With my solution to the windup issue I will be able to drive Biggles any distance economically and with zero emissions. The ultimate green vehicle?

9 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

If you want to do things again can I suggest recreating Admiral Byrd's Snow Cruiser?

[IMG]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Snow_cruiser_2.jpg[/IMG]

Or for added cool points going and finding the original in its icy grave and rescuing it? You could have the first Stolly to work in Antarctica....

spacer.png

If I recall correctly the truck stunts featured a shit load of weigh positioned in the trailer to stabilise it along with locked diffs and from memory you only ever see it from one side whilst on 2 wheels.

2 hours ago, DodgeRover said:

If you want to do things again can I suggest recreating Admiral Byrd's Snow Cruiser?

[IMG]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Snow_cruiser_2.jpg[/IMG]

Or for added cool points going and finding the original in its icy grave and rescuing it? You could have the first Stolly to work in Antarctica....

spacer.png

I wouldn't want to recreate that because it was a flawed design. Going to find it however that's a much more interesting proposition.

Fair enough, each to their own.  No disrespect for experienced stunt drivers who have honed their skills over many years but I never was a fan of the circus anyway.

Almost crashing a Suzuki jeep and putting it on 3 wheels by accident doesn't really qualify anyone as a 'stunt driver' capable of driving a HGV on 2 wheels  Please get real.  Honestly, what planet are some people on?

HK may want to prove me wrong, but that's not my decision.

55 minutes ago, JeeExEll said:

What's all this 'driving on 2 wheels' bollox about?  Why would anyone be so interested in that?

Even if it could be done, who actually gives a fuck?

You obviously never watched Diamonds are Forever as an impressionable 12 year old then. I honestly think the question should be who doesn't want to drive on two wheels.... It's literally been a lifelong dream to have a go at it.

I also want to drive a forklift truck through a brick wall because of License to Kill..... Yeah maybe I have issues lol

In fact I really don't understand the mentality and negativity of your post and attitude.  Do you watch Mission Impossible and question every cool stunt? Who wants to see bollocks like Tom Cruise jumping put of a plane etc. Do you get no pleasure from watching stunts?

37 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

I think Russ Swift has spent several decades proving that people find it very interesting.

He did. It's ace.

He also sent years doing autotesting/rallying before that.....

30 minutes ago, JeeExEll said:

Yes, that's great but irrelevant, it refers to someone else, he won't be driving this time. 

Yes, that was the point. Years of actual motorsport activities before managing it...

Not just 'yeah' I can do that'.

In no way negative or disparaging - 

I'm not sure motorsport experience is relevant, because you're not aiming to drive on two wheels for that. At some point, he will have welded up a diff and lined up a ramp and all his friends will have told him he's an idiot. He will have rolled cars several times finding the limits. I admit, the idea of learning to two-wheel in several tons of truck is worrying, but I'm not sure you can really fault ambition.

13 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Something bigger and older I think. It dwarfs the Mercedes grille and looks big enough for a small truck. 

I reckon some long dead limousine  from the early 1950s. I assume that film was made in Oz and there’s all sorts of treasure in rural junkyards over there.

Looks like a Consort grill to me, complete with starting handle springy flap