Absolute horse shit™ The official thread of Railton Heavy Industries Limited and it's subsidiaries.

Heidel_Kakao

37 minutes ago, rickvw72 said:

I’d reckon you’d need a wheel lift to get the wheel off, kind of an investment and prevents you knackering yourself, which will really fuck up earnings if self employed.

I’m 90 percent recovered from a bad abductor tear, and it’s not been right for over 6 months. Could of been catastrophic If still self employed, but I’ve retired into teaching so have just limped around recovering.

I will see what wheel lift (probably a forklift to be honest) the guys at Tank's A Lot are using when I am there next week.

Good point about being careful to avoid injury when self employed.

12 hours ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

I have not "played" with it yet but the great thing about my MK2 having a HIAB means it should be able to do it's own heavy lifting :)

If you are using it for business purposes make sure you have received the appropriate training.  Actually, for any purposes, make sure you are trained. 

And before you trot out the standard 'challenge  accepted etc' claptrap save your breath. 

On 20/06/2021 at 09:45, red5 said:

If you are using it for business purposes make sure you have received the appropriate training.  Actually, for any purposes, make sure you are trained. 

And before you trot out the standard 'challenge  accepted etc' claptrap save your breath. 

How do you know I don't already have the appropriate training? Is it that hard to believe a 38 year old man may previously have had a job which involved operation of a hydraulically operating lifting device.

Same as I already have forklift truck certification  for anyone who feels like chirping up when I inevitably buy an FLT.

I don't. 

It's not. 

You haven't said anything to imply or infer that you have either training or experience. It would be reasonable to consider that you have neither based on the thread. But you know that, and are pfe as usual. Despite your smug dismissing of people's genuine concerns some of us are still bothered. 

5 minutes ago, red5 said:

Posting for effect.  

Something on a better moderated forum that would be (moderated) along with 'post on poster' et al. I suspect you know all of this already though. 

No this is the only forum I have used, I joined on May 24th 2006 and have never felt the need to join another.

I have however heard of a forum called The Dark Wob...... Is that better moderated do you know as someone told me I should join the other day.

15 minutes ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

Same as I already have forklift truck certification  for anyone who feels like chirping up when I inevitably buy an FLT.

One which will almost certainly be not valid.  Fork-lift certification is *incredibly* specific to the type of fork lift being used, the drive type, the physical arrangement, the weight of lift, the height of lift etc.etc.  It would be an astonishing co-incidence if the cert you already have covered you for what you now apparently want to do.

Same is true for crane operations, be they cable operated, hydraulic, static, mobile etc.  Just because you've cocked about with some other hydraulic bit of kit at some point in your past absolutely does not qualify you to be able to use any other bit of lifting equipment.  The regs in this area are remarkably strict and very easy to fall foul of.

This sounds *exactly* like that utter shit from a few pages back where apparently you're "experienced at driving on two wheels" because you were driving like a complete cock when 19 and managed to very nearly crash whatever it was you were driving.

Driving like a complete prick <> trained and skilled stunt driver.

Having a fork-lift licence for some obscure piece of kit a while ago <> licenced for any fork lift.

Used a bit of hydraulic equipment in the past <> certified to operate overhead lifting equipment.

Registering a limited company with companies house <> I am a CEO.

You're sending off an awful lot of very serious danger signals here.  If *any* of this starts to actually happen (which I severely doubt, but that's another matter) I suspect you're going to end up on the nasty end of an investigation by the HSE (something I actually DO have experience of, again, different matter) and they will absolutely crucify you.  I just hope no-one dies in the process.

16 minutes ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

True that. How long have you been a CEO out of interest?

I'm retired now but was one at times earlier this century. I also qualified as an accountant before you were born so have a bit more business experience than you, including advising boards of companies like Vodafone and The Post Office.

That's a lovely story, and completely irrelevant as well as being unable to be substantiated.  No one mentioned other forums. 

In my opinion? No. It's mostly 'self-moderating' if you will, with a light touch as and when needed. With appropriate explanations at the same time as moderation. It is, of course, full of 'vile hatred'.

Why would you join? Allegedly you have never felt the need to join another forum. Ever. If you want to join because it's 'better moderated' then that is an odd sole criteria  for joining a forum. 

7 minutes ago, chadders said:

I'm retired now but was one at times earlier this century. I also qualified as an accountant before you were born so have a bit more business experience than you, including advising boards of companies like Vodafone and The Post Office.

'challenge accepted'

12 minutes ago, chadders said:

Just imagine Chadders, if you’d have advised the board of Vodafone and the Post Office to buy ten tons of scrap and have a load of keyrings made, they might not be the textbook examples of business failure they are now. 

22 minutes ago, chadders said:

Excellent I knew the way you said it with authority that you had the chops to back it up. Who was your inspiration as a CEO out of interest? Mine are Bill Gates, Tony Stark, Howard Hughes etc.

When experienced and well meaning people give you good advice that you don't want to hear, acting clever and provocative rather than actively taking any of it on board is not the way to put anyone's mind at ease.

I don't know you, nor of your experience etc, but traditionally, the first steps made in a new business don't often include "get a load of keyrings made", so I can see why people are a bit concerned, just the same way we would be if someone had embarked in a complete restoration of basket case Alfa Romeo Arna by getting someone in to tint the windows. 

I wish you all the best in this venture and hope that perhaps I (and a lot of other people) are reading your posts in the wrong tone. 

But there’s a lot more to running a successful business than inspirational role models and key rings.

I think what many people are saying here is that we’re all concerned that you’re biting off more than you can chew. You’re confident in your own abilities and choices, but from the outside looking in it looks foolhardy at times and incredibly worrying at others. This isn’t negativity or a challenge to be accepted, but advice (which I have given several times before) to be cautious and slow down a bit. Not one of us gives advice because we want you to fail, exactly the opposite. If we wanted you to crash and burn we’d be egging you on. Some are, some are doing so tongue in cheek and sarcastically. I’m not sure you always get that.

The vast majority of us are just worried about the current direction of travel. Rather than dismissing the advice in a cloud of seeming self destruction it might well be worth taking the advice on board and considering it. You may decide not to heed it, but please at least consider it. Surely the fact that so many of us are taking the time to say ‘whoa there’ must mean something.

34 minutes ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

Excellent I knew the way you said it with authority that you had the chops to back it up. Who was your inspiration as a CEO out of interest? Mine are Bill Gates, Tony Stark, Howard Hughes etc.

I wasn't inspired by anyone as such as all were existing businesses with various existing or potential problems.

Jim Ratcliffe would be my choice though with INEOS.

Tony Stark wouldn't as I'm not sure Hollywood scriptwriters inhabit the same world as me.

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

But there’s a lot more to running a successful business than inspirational role models and key rings.

I think what many people are saying here is that we’re all concerned that you’re biting off more than you can chew. You’re confident in your own abilities and choices, but from the outside looking in it looks foolhardy at times and incredibly worrying at others. This isn’t negativity or a challenge to be accepted, but advice (which I have given several times before) to be cautious and slow down a bit. Not one of us gives advice because we want you to fail, exactly the opposite. If we wanted you to crash and burn we’d be egging you on. Some are, some are doing so tongue in cheek and sarcastically. I’m not sure you always get that.

The vast majority of us are just worried about the current direction of travel. Rather than dismissing the advice in a cloud of seeming self destruction it might well be worth taking the advice on board and considering it. You may decide not to heed it, but please at least consider it. Surely the fact that so many of us are taking the time to say ‘whoa there’ must mean something.

Shall we officially draw a line under any business discussions in this thread? Just vehicle chat going forward? I feel like I am not going to be convincing people I know what I am doing until at least September so we will just be going round in circles till then.

I get advice from everyone, sure I come across as a sarcastic and dismissive cunt but I read every post and take on board any useful information within.

4 minutes ago, chadders said:

I wasn't inspired by anyone as such as all were existing businesses with various existing or potential problems.

Jim Ratcliffe would be my choice though with INEOS.

Tony Stark wouldn't as I'm not sure Hollywood scriptwriters inhabit the same world as me.

Cool 😎 Ratcliffe is inspiring for sure. James Dyson too.

• Heidel_Kakao changed the title to Absolute horse shit™ (Vehicle chat only please)
1 hour ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

No this is the only forum I have used, I joined on May 24th 2006 and have never felt the need to join another.

I have however heard of a forum called The Dark Wob...... Is that better moderated do you know as someone told me I should join the other day.

'The Dark Wob' is predicated more towards a ' kinder and gentler' form of posting and opinion.

It’s disappointing to see a thread like this full of so much negativity. So here’s some positive advise. From my two penethworth……. 

One of these would be a good investment. But buy a decent one not from Chinaland. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124020550805

my last resort when the inch gun won’t move a stubborn seized nut, is I break the torque multiplier out……or I just break the torque multiplier….which ever. 

12 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

It’s disappointing to see a thread like this full of so much negativity.

Totally agree mate, a Stolly is an amazing vehicle and I would rather be discussing it instead of all the other stuff.

Thanks for the torque multiplier advice, Mr Bollocks already recommended I get one as he finds it invaluable for working on his Horse Bollox.