Mk1 MX5: Fresh pics. £700 or swopz

Fabergé Greggs

... Once you’ve told the insurer you’ve had a bang though there’s no way back.

When it comes to renewal and they ask about any accidents in the last 3 or 5 years you need to give the details anyway or face fines/prison/death (delete as appropriate)

Of course with it being a driver from overseas then they will no doubt not be sharing any details with other insurance companies :)

As it wasn't your fault (he moved into you IIRC) then I'd wait until at least SOME contact is made by either the driver/company/insurer..... so you'll know their approach. As it'll be company insurance - you could also contact them direct..... tell them you don't want 'too much' hassle and if it'll damage their insurance premiums to a greater amount then a cash settlement would be easier all round.... worth a shot.

If plod didn't register it, and no report number is active then it won't show on any insurers database so you'll be clear on that one too...... if worried - a friendly insurance broker could do a check and see if anything is logged on 'the system' - they do this all the time even for telephone quotes.

Good luck fella - perfect track soldier now I'd say......... get 'er done!

Can't get a hold of the driver or are the company ignoring you

Ask mid now has a cost option for you to get the insurance details of the other party , think its about £5 but youd need to check it can get the detsils of a foreign policy

Were there any witnesses, did you take out the legal cover with the policy , if you did they should do all the chasing on your behalf

After meeting MrTwoShoes at work the other day and chatting mx-5s, I've been thinking about what I'd do.

Since you have a contact for the Polish haulage firm I'd drop them a nice email with some pictures, times, dates, etc. and ask them for some money. It's not in your interest or their interest if you start to make calls to the Met Police and insurers imho. It's pretty easy for them to sack you off and there's not that much feasibly you can do about it though.

I'd tidy up the damage, the main thing being that there's no bare metal showing over winter. The truck's paint will come off with some Farcela G3 or something. Cut back as many of the scrapes with something like that or maybe a very gentle soapy wet fine grit sandpaper? You mentioned you had Kurust but it shouldn't need Kurust unless it's going quite rusty already. If the paint's broken in places cover it with something. Zinc primer maybe. If it's just small bits spray it in the aerosol cap and put it on with a small brush. You could probably get body colour and touch it in if it's not too bad. I'd budget for panel beating and paint in the spring, maybe getting some other bits of bodywork tidied at the same time it's with a pro. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mazda-MX5-Workshop-Manual-Enthusiasts/dp/1845840836 This is the best MX-5 book. It's really well written compared to a similar Haynes manual.

I don't mind your wheels. What steel wheels would fit that you know? Golf G60 steels look nice and are the right bolt pattern but are offset for FWD.

1087821130_1b63732d56_b.jpg

My old Eunos Roadster for comparison.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't done much with this at all- sent the company that owned the truck an email which they resoundingly ignored.

I CBA with a claim and all the increased insurance on all my other policies.. so inaction is the only action. It's shame that I have to live with the dents, but hey, at least I'm alive.

Having not used it much I'm about to embark on million miles North around Scotland in it- can't wait to drive on some proper roads with bends.

Preparation for the trip has amounted to trying to polish the rear screen with Brasso, which kind of worked, and topping up the oil. I also briefly considered trying to get rid of the smell of dog, but didn’t quite get it together.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this completed over a thousand miles with no fuss, other than the rear screen seemingly cracking all by itself one particularly cold night, promptly repaired by clear gorilla tape. 

I got the opportunity to hoon like a right bastard at certain points, and can further confirm that I miss my X1/9. 

Screen_Shot_2018_01_07_at_12_38_27.png

IMG_0024.jpg

• 2 months later...

This isn’t really getting used very much, hence it’s been laid up in the work car park. It’s very slowly dripping coolant from the thermostat housing, as if to test my enthusiasm for minor repairs on it.

Let’s look at the tests results:

Enthusiasm for minor repairs= 0

Not sure- which one’s that? My folks live there so I return often..

It's the northern section of the A702 between Carronbridge (just north of Thornhill) and A74(M) junction 14. Great bit of road, would be fab in the MX-5. Video below starts not far off the A74(M) and is heading south-west towards Carronbridge.

The stretch of A713 south of Dalmellington is fun too but the visibility isn't as good and there is more (slow!) traffic than the Dalveen Pass.

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen! Due to impending financial ruin brought about by my Daf, this is 4 sells. 

It's parked up safely at the car park at work in South London. 

The Good: 

• Its a purple MX5. 
  • It hasn't had the usual life that these have had- I know the previous owner and he's captain sensible. 
  • Cambelt & water pump done at the start of the previous owners ownership- about 10,000 miles ago I believe. 
  • Well looked after, good matching pirellis and all that.
  • Drives very very very very nicely! 
  • MOT unti Nov 2018. 
  • It's been the best WBOD ever- I've been all over the place including some 1000 mile trips around Scotland etc

The Bad: 

• It's a purple MX5. 
  • During one particularly intense moment in time, I was driving down the motorway waiting to hear about some of my Dad's medical test results.. Just when the suspense was at it's most unbearable, a Lorry sideswiped me on the motorway. Damage is superficial to one door and rear wing. 
  • A little notchy when cold into 1st gear. TADTS.. 
  • I've noticed a very slow coolant drip from the thermostat housing, this could be a pipe or it could be the T piece that tends to corrode. Supposedly a drill and tap of the housing and you're right as rain. 
  • It's had some none too subtle patches on the sills in its past. 

Fresh pics to follow shortly. 

Will anyone bid me £700?