Dollywobbler's Lexus - £SOLD

dollywobbler

My memories of these from the 70's , was that there were always a couple at every football match you saw on the telly.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

So maybe DW will be allowed on the touch line at Aberystwyth Rovers next season.

Lovely pics, but wrong thread. Sorry, my fault for having so many!

Today in picture form.

Reading. Grim.

DNs9_iDW0AAN1aZ.jpg

Back home. Less grim.

DNt-65GWsAAzb5R.jpg

'Mason' is now over 1000 miles in my ownership, so I've broken that new cambelt in. Set the cruise to 60 on the motorway, with the result that I got back home on half a tank - 260 miles. Leaves me wondering if I could get 500 miles out of one tank... (75 litre capacity).

On the downside, there's something that sounds like an exhaust manifold leak. I'll investigate more some other time. Also need to renew filters and fluids. Well, oil. That's a service, right?

At one point, I was enjoying the sound of Massive Attack's Protection so much that I refused to stop for a lunch break at my usual haunt. You can't just interrupt good music.

At one point, I was enjoying the sound of Massive Attack's Protection so much that I refused to stop for a lunch break at my usual haunt. You can't just interrupt good music.

At one point I had both that and Blue Lines in the CD changer(the right way up :-P )  Both sounded awesome through that stereo. 

I'd be keen to hear more of how the cambelt change went and what else was found? Any luck with the air leaK?

Only issue with the cambelt change was a snapped tensioner bolt - and the fact it takes BLOODY AGES.

23131810_10155847234718200_2324923132710

Sorting that snapped bolt out was a right faff, as there's not good enough access to get straight on it with a drill. Somehow, the chap managed to drill it out and tap it - you can't remove that bracket as it seems to be part of the front plate. That was the best part of an hour gone.

A puller is necessary to get the crank pulley off, but a breaker bar was sufficient to undo the pulley bolt - there's a quick and easy panel to remove on the bellhousing so you can jam the flywheel. All very easy with the car several feet off the ground of course. This would have been an absolute sod of a job on my driveway. Otherwise, it's just unbolting stuff, and then bolting stuff back on - an awful lot of bolts. The rad can stay in. Lots of bolts were very tough to get out though, suggestion a previous gorilla. 

Next time I'm up at Brightwells, would you be interested in trying out an LS430 for comparison?

I'd certainly be curious, but despite being on good terms with Brightwells, I'm yet to actually make it there for a sale (I managed one 4x4 sale about five years ago). Always too busy. Plus it's well over an hour away from here.

That was engine running. I noticed that the wipers seemed slow yesterday. No battery light or anything. Today, the dash is like a Christmas tree and it clearly isn't charging at all.

The battery is fine. It has started the engine three times today so far with no issue. Off to the local garage later. I can't get anywhere near the alternator at home. Access seem to be below. Can't get my ramps under due to the length of the nose. Ugh.

If they didn't, this battery is bloody ace! It's done over 600 miles since then. Alternator wasn't removed fully, so I don't think the wiring was touched.

I was thinking it was plugged in enough to work but the clips have popped loose & it's now dropped out. I know I've done it myself when I was sure I'd plugged stuff in properly.

Just seems a coincidence shortly after loads of work was done.

Nope. Wiring all intact, charging circuit fuse is healthy, output from the alternator pretty much zilch. Guess a new alternator is needed then! Not the best placement really, as it's directly below the PAS pump. So, when that leaks, which it has a little, it drops ATF straight into the alternator. 

Now, the tensioner and idler for the aux belt are also a bit noisy, especially on first start. This is getting expensive...

Let me and 17-Coffees know what it's like replacing the alternator, please.

His one has been on the way out for a while (also seemingly from PAS fluid seepage) and I will no doubt try to get involved in helping (holding tools in the general vicinity). :D

"..Now, the tensioner and idler for the aux belt are also a bit noisy, especially on first start. This is getting expensive..."

Ahh Haa... My PAS belt whelped like a beaten whippet t'other day... It was a cold night, I had just fired up and the PAS kicked back through the steering wheel like someone was heaving on the front wheels...

However... My MOT guys swapped both the WP & PAS last month, I supplied the belts from the factors, so I think they can do me a 'No Charge' NipUp..  :-P

keep at it...

TS

* ..just rang them >> "Nae Praab.. 9AM tmozz" Just while I wait  8)

Let me and 17-Coffees know what it's like replacing the alternator, please.

His one has been on the way out for a while (also seemingly from PAS fluid seepage) and I will no doubt try to get involved in helping (holding tools in the general vicinity). :D

I can tell you already, it sucks arse. It's right down at the bottom of the engine, so all the access seems to be from below. A friend has a BIG set of ramps, so might have a play with that next week. Guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order a new alternator as well. 

Nope. Wiring all intact, charging circuit fuse is healthy, output from the alternator pretty much zilch. Guess a new alternator is needed then! Not the best placement really, as it's directly below the PAS pump. So, when that leaks, which it has a little, it drops ATF straight into the alternator. 

Now, the tensioner and idler for the aux belt are also a bit noisy, especially on first start. This is getting expensive...

See also the V6 XM, which has its hydraulic pump directly above the alternator and which can do the same thing. Ask me how I know...

Ah well. once you’re finished spending money on it, it’ll really be worth owning. A friend of mine (prolific on the barge thread on PH) always used a nightclub analogy about these big cars. “The purchase price is really just the entry cost. The real pain comes with the prices at the bar”.

Stick with it - I’m sure you will.