HMC- AUTOSHITE 2.0

HMC

20 hours ago, Crackers said:

I've possibly missed it upthread, but has it always been green? Your first set of pics lead me to think it might have been white at some point in its life (or it's had some panels off a white car, resprayed):

image.thumb.png.bbc45f7d7a2e2d600f451a980c3d7663.png

There definitely looks to be a fair bit of white under that chrome finisher, and the TURBO badge has that odd peeling/cracking effect going on around it that I wouldn't expect to see on a factory finished panel, regardless of age - and that also looks to be cracking to reveal white underneath. 

A2C901B1-912B-4DA5-85EF-60140C285312.thumb.jpeg.055b21eb6e32d5a2176248849277ed75.jpeg

balmoral green is the paint code apparently. Who knows what a suspension package is?!

20 hours ago, Crackers said:

I've possibly missed it upthread, but has it always been green? Your first set of pics lead me to think it might have been white at some point in its life (or it's had some panels off a white car, resprayed):

image.thumb.png.bbc45f7d7a2e2d600f451a980c3d7663.png

There definitely looks to be a fair bit of white under that chrome finisher, and the TURBO badge has that odd peeling/cracking effect going on around it that I wouldn't expect to see on a factory finished panel, regardless of age - and that also looks to be cracking to reveal white underneath. 

Might it not be an overload of polish? Looked at first glance to me like someone has been less than economical with a big bottle of Autoglym SRP and not bothered making sure the excess was wiped off. 

Excellent purchase, my boss owns a very early mulsanne turbo which we have spent many hours trying to get running right. in the end we sourced a nos carb after the original was found to be so warped it was unusable.

The suspension package is a very good thing early cars had the same floaty boaty suspension as the silver sprit. The package was probably uprated springs and dampers. Possibly even anti roll bars. All this became standard later on when the turbo became the Turbo R.

Just now, Mat.T said:

Excellent purchase, my boss owns a very early mulsanne turbo which we have spent many hours trying to get running right. in the end we sourced a nos carb after the original was found to be so warped it was unusable.

The suspension package is a very good thing early cars had the same floaty boaty suspension as the silver sprit. The package was probably uprated springs and dampers. Possibly even anti roll bars. All this became standard later on when the turbo became the Turbo R.

Wasn't there such a thing as a Harvey Bailey handling kit for shadows and the like?

16 hours ago, HMC said:

A2C901B1-912B-4DA5-85EF-60140C285312.thumb.jpeg.055b21eb6e32d5a2176248849277ed75.jpeg

balmoral green is the paint code apparently. Who knows what a suspension package is?!

The fact it says Rolls Royce and not Bentley as a suspension package is interesting. Could the original owner have specced it with softer Rolls Royce suspension instead of the Bentley setup?

I rememeber Xtriple saying there was an owners group/forum in Australia which was pretty good with these things-a bit more hand on and less polishing

16 hours ago, Matty said:

Wasn't there such a thing as a Harvey Bailey handling kit for shadows and the like?

Harvey bailey kits are still available for early sprits and shadows. Totally transforms them handling wise.

Not cheap though! 

https://www.flyingspares.com/harvey-bailey-handling-package-silver-spirit-bentley-mulsanne-hbeksp.html

Just now, Mat.T said:

Harvey bailey kits are still available for early sprits and shadows. Totally transforms them handling wise.

Not cheap though! 

https://www.flyingspares.com/harvey-bailey-handling-package-silver-spirit-bentley-mulsanne-hbeksp.html

Just had a look. Wow that's a lot. Although if you have to ask the price....

😁

1 hour ago, Mat.T said:

Not cheap though! 

Introcars also do a handling package. £1400 which isn't bad relatively speaking. 

https://www.introcar.com/blog/handling-kits-for-rolls-royce-bentley-models-from-1965-to-2003

MPGs?! Currently this is VERY economical. More so than any number of EVs PHEV or other lentil type vehicles. It won’t start!

I’ve checked a few obvious things and drawn a blank. I was planning on having @panhard65 give it a good going over anyway as he knows them well and is a pragmatist. We were planning on this later in the year but the shabby Bentley decided it wanted TLC pronto.

I also bought Glyn Johns’ biography to find out more about its first owner…

image.thumb.jpg.a67e156236080c33b7cbd8c82a232ec3.jpg

22 minutes ago, gadgetgricey said:

So its run out of fuel then. 

Hope its an easy/cheap'ish fix and normal wafty service is restored quickly.

I’m looking forward to Panhard giving it a going over. Its off on a (hefty) trailer to him Tomorrow .  

It’s from far but far from nice, he’s the man for these cars (older members before modgate might remember his skillfull ownership and fettling of silver shadows, spirits and turbo r models. ) Another loss to the forum sadly, along with @Junkman and others.

This thing is like an old country house, or possibly Keith Richards. Decrepit but elegant.

Hopefully something simple.  I don't think I've ever touched the ignition side of things on one of these so haven't a clue if they run points and condenser...if so could be as daft as dirty points or a stuffed condenser. 

I'd far rather be trying to diagnose a non start on one of these than a Jag or the same era!