HMC- AUTOSHITE 2.0

HMC

8 hours ago, sporty-shite said:

I really enjoyed mine (1.8, 225bhp). Just needed general maintenance stuff. Only issue was the lack of space in the back for the kids. 

Just maintenance stuff for a vag owner means -

3 pcv valves and pipes

window reg

2 door locks , possibly a loom repair

caliper

3 springs 

One way alternator clutch and tensioner 

Meanwhile a Honda or Toyota owner has to top up the washer bottle 

“ unreliable piece of shit “ 

😂

3 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Honda's equivalent car of the time is the S2000. While fantastic machines, they are several times more expensive than this. They do have their own set of expensive transmission problems that can require a rebuild. Caliper problems certainly on the rear too. Not unusual either to burn oil at a rate that would make people think it's a BMW. Also a car that can quite easily catch the unwary in the wet leading to it swapping ends. 

The equivalent Toyota would have been the final generation of the Celica. ...And people berate the TT mk1 for not being a proper sports car!

While the TT can have rusty wings, the Japanese equivalent cars (unfortunately) give a whole another level of potential grot. 

12 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Just maintenance stuff for a vag owner means -

3 pcv valves and pipes

window reg

2 door locks , possibly a loom repair

caliper

3 springs 

One way alternator clutch and tensioner 

😂

rac man one told me the only callouts for civic/jazz was flat battery/tyre- this was whilst doing paperwork after having work polo slowmotion* recovered with dead in tank pump🤣

*kwality german kar

23 hours ago, camryv6 said:

I am sure* @SiC will buy this from you, when you are bored of it

It would be (almost*) the perfect match to sit next to my Boxster! Some of the reason I want a TT MK1 (apart from the fun of potential borkage and Bauhaus intrigue) is it would be neat to have them both together. Won't be forever that both are affordably priced making it possible to do so by the average person.

Would also be great to drive them back to back too and see what the difference is considering they were direct competitors at the time. I guess a 225 would be the better match at the time of Boxster Vs TT release but the 986 Boxster was made late into the year of this too. But a better and very interesting close engine match comparison with VR6 Vs Flat-6.

So yes, I'm eagerly waiting for the eventual for sale advert on this!

* Almost because it's not a manual Vs manual. But these DSGs are great boxes to drive though (imo and ignoring the borkage potential) and actually would be my preference as I'd not want two cars too identically matched. Plus the additional liability makes it even more interesting.

3 minutes ago, Matty said:

The only man I know that wants things to break 😄

Providing there always one vehicle I can rely on and whatever I've bought it cheap enough that the tears aren't too expensive, it's all good fun.

It's why, when our faithful A4 finally kacked it, I was quite happy that Mrs SiC both chose and really wanted a Honda Civic Estate!

7 minutes ago, HMC said:

Quite a small footprint…..

4C90CE88-A4D0-4A72-AAEA-8093F6EF366C.thumb.jpeg.18e2060b32b86f625c6eded5978aa81e.jpeg

Watch the heads of anyone sitting in the back when closing the boot lid! Our MK2 had a warning label. 

Not that I remembered when I nearly caused Mrs SiC an injury when transport her and her friends back from the pub. 🫣

Just now, SiC said:

Providing there always one vehicle I can rely on and whatever I've bought it cheap enough that the tears aren't too expensive, it's all good fun.

It's why, when our faithful A4 finally kacked it, I was quite happy that Mrs SiC both chose and really wanted a Honda Civic Estate!

Yeah, mine chose and really wanted a 15 year old z4 3.0 si coupe. Y'know, for that built in reliability and low maintenance costs. Do you want to swap wives? 😁

2 minutes ago, SiC said:

Watch the heads of anyone sitting in the back when closing the boot lid! Our MK2 had a warning label. 

Not that I remembered when I nearly caused Mrs SiC an injury when transport her and her friends back from the pub. 🫣

Her friends must be very small. When Mrs CSW had her mk1, the kids (mid teens) did not fit in the back.

4 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Her friends must be very small. When Mrs CSW had her mk1, the kids (mid teens) did not fit in the back.

Mrs SiC isn't particularly tall (iirc I think you met her) but just about fitted with legs a kimbo. Her friend who sat in the back is small but her friend in the front is on the slightly larger size. 

They were both egging me on the floor it with Mrs SiC giving a big "No!". Anyway I gave it ESP off, sport mode, brake and full accelerator to let it rev to 3k rpm. Then release the brake to zooooooooooooom. (Launch control on DSG)

The rear seats on the later ones are pretty much useless for fitting an actual human being in...

Sadly I can't find it right now but we have a somewhat hilarious photograph of my other half attempting to fold himself into the back of the one we had here back around 2018ish.  Fine if you don't have a head or legs.  

The styling has aged well though I reckon.

I’ve just woken up. It’s a collection day. It’s not because I need to catch a  3am train to collect a rover 45 from derby, or whatever. Not today at least! I’m just excited and can’t sleep.

I need to head for Bristol for about lunchtime.  There’s a bucket list car waiting there, at a spares or repairs price. But apparently it’s not broken; it’s just old and a bit battered.  

Time will tell.

• HMC changed the title to HMC new - Live collection
5 hours ago, HMC said:

I’ve just woken up. It’s a collection day. It’s not because I need to catch a  3am train to collect a rover 45 from derby, or whatever. Not today at least! I’m just excited and can’t sleep.

I need to head for Bristol for about lunchtime.  There’s a bucket list car waiting there, at a spares or repairs price. But apparently it’s not broken; it’s just old and a bit battered.  

Time will tell.

I’m still coming to yours first right?

:-)