HMC- AUTOSHITE 2.0

HMC

On 12/3/2022 at 10:42 PM, Jim Bergerac said:

I don't tend to visit this parish often these days, but I've just stumbled through the past few months of this thread. It's like a book where you can't see the next twist coming, from Bentley to battered Yaris, via assorted Nissans. 10/10 shiteing.

hmc's brain

must buy car must buy car bored bored must buy car bored bored must buy car

Used the maxima qx these last few days. It’s so bland and anonymous, reinforced by the front grille badge being missing

97CDCEC7-E9F9-4234-8486-A67AAA507FC3.thumb.jpeg.1b30dbe6ce14f374cd761a43ba52f69d.jpeg

Its styling is generic Korean / Japanese barge - instantly forgettable, and indeed forgotten. It’s pre Qashqai - from a time when Nissan UK were perhaps less certain of themselves, and still felt they needed to offer a barge, which was received with apathy by buyers.

796FDB22-3BB6-4F81-8AD6-B7B17BEDB700.thumb.jpeg.1257dd7e70dba155bd433e2cbcef2aba.jpeg

OE is an Oxford reg- and many of the original 90s qx models were Oxford registered as well. Makes me wonder if there is a HQ there, and if nobody actually bought these new and were registered by the importing parent company?

• HMC changed the title to HMC- Nissan Maxima QX: IT EXISTS?

The QX I had from 2005-2007 was P679EAL (which I think is a Nottingham reg.).  In my working days I used to visit the USA on business - generally Seattle area - and on one occasion the only hire car available at the airport was a QX.  I was disappointed as I preferred to try the various USA makers, not a bloody Nissan which I'd never heard of.  However, it turned out to be a 'full size sedan,' had a decent sound system and such a refined engine and transmission that I was impressed.  The memory soon faded on return to the UK but on another occasion I was offered a Toyota Camry in Seattle and took it because the alternative was an Oldsmobile Ciera which I had tried on a previous visit. The Ciera was comically appalling to drive, so the Camry won - which was quite nice.  A few years later I saw an advert for QX 2litre for sale at a dealer in Sutton Coldfield. The thought of refinement and luxury tempted me to cough up £3,800 and I was initially happy. My earlier post a few pages ago shows that that did not last!  After I bought mine, I saw quite a few around here (South Northants area) but they all disappeared at about the same time I got shot of mine.  Ebay used to have two or three quite regularly in the early 2000s.  

• 3 weeks later...

This was a bit of an impulse purchase whilst I was at a curry restaurant on New Year’s Eve.

It was just about the cheapest road legal Boxster, going totally against the matra of buying the best you can afford.

Its had about 14 owners. Done 160k odd miles. Cosmetically a bit knocked about. So all the red flag stuff most people avoid with these. YOLO

28BB0661-CFDF-44AB-A1A2-3866945DC296.thumb.jpeg.7dae21a69882f28f477a5f943563a8c6.jpeg

• HMC changed the title to HMC- NEW ropey BOXSTER

It was the clutch:

Vehicle arrived broken on tow truck

Diagnosis charge

Remove gearbox

Remove exhaust and heat shields

Remove clutch and starter motor

Replace clutch and starter motor

Replace gearbox

Drain and replace oil (clutch fluid?)

Bleed clutch

Road test 

List of parts: repair kit (clutch kit?), Screws, fork (clutch fork?), Guide dowel, (slave cylinder screws?), DMF, o-ring, oil filter, cork gasket, hex head bolts, security screw, mobil 1 oil, expansion rivet.

A very quick translation of the  'garage' French was - arrival on the back of a recovery vehicle with the clutch problem and then some extensive work in fitting a new clutch etc. including difficulties with the exhaust bolts (welded and extracted) and replaced. ie lots of work to get it apart and back together. And an oil change. 👍

Some people can’t resist accessories  such as Porsche branded clothing. Glasses, jackets and especially caps, and presumably underwear? to be worn at the wheel. I’m not one of those people. 

I have however put an old ACO sticker in the screen as a nod to the brand’s motorsport heritage (heavily Le Mans associated) but that is as far as it goes. 

F907BDA2-4B0F-4C3E-87FB-C487843DE8FC.thumb.jpeg.f2e7d95605f033b750fdc150a443da4b.jpeg

This ropey Boxster has got a pattern replacement rear exhaust. Boomy as hell below 3k under load. Nastily boomy. But over 3k the boominess goes and it sounds epic. I don’t think it’s a sports system as such, it’s just a pattern job that was made with cheaper material and less care and attention in the R&D. Fun in a childish way. 

Go on, what's it drive like? I'm too much of a shithouse to take something like this on as I'd set about trying to right it's wrongs straight away, thus negating the point of buying a cheap one. So what's the reality @HMC? Is it good crack to punt around (sound enough as is I mean, no major annoying faults)?

Impressively massive nuts again by the way! Never ceases to amaze 👌

Just now, Matty said:

Go on, what's it drive like? I'm too much of a shithouse to take something like this on as I'd set about trying to right it's wrongs straight away, thus negating the point of buying a cheap one. So what's the reality @HMC? Is it good crack to punt around (sound enough as is I mean, no major annoying faults)?

Impressively massive nuts again by the way! Never ceases to amaze 👌

Early days, it seems ok so far. Quicker than I was expecting (the 2.5  tends to get played down a bit) it’s done 164k and has a fairly decent service history, and I’m a big believer in using stuff as intended so I took that as a good thing. Plus cosmetics not being perfect means I’m quite happy to not wash it and park anywhere.

Just now, HMC said:

Early days, it seems ok so far. Quicker than I was expecting (the 2.5  tends to get played down a bit) it’s done 164k and has a fairly decent service history, and I’m a big believer in using stuff as intended so I took that as a good thing. Plus cosmetics not being perfect means I’m quite happy to not wash it and park anywhere.

Exactly what you want. Mechanically straight, cosmetically ropey. Like you said, get your use out of it properly that way.