HMC- AUTOSHITE 2.0

HMC

3 hours ago, uk_senator said:

Am I the only one looking at this pic imagining the 7 on a custom roof rack atop the Vic, with some drop down folding/extending ramps... 😕

Or slung out the back on davits like a dingy hanging off a luxury yacht? 😛

10 hours ago, jon.k said:

I was reading a CAR magazine from 2000 yesterday, and there was an article on the state of the american car industry. I think it said that in the US the "sub-sub-compact" Focus cost the same as a Crown Vic, so everyone bought a Crown Vic.

Probably not too far from the truth. And why would anyone in their right mind if you don't use it as a urban commuter?

In 2000 we moved to the states and needed 2 cars which turned out to be a Crown Vic and a Focus. 
The Focus was the first Focus “Wagon” in California - made an interesting comparison to the Focus estate I had been driving in the UK. The Crown Vic delivered 88k miles of easy trouble free motoring over the following 4 years. Fantastic car. Should have brought it back here.

Well, they were built to be utilitarian.

Grandpa's choice of wheels.

Police choice of wheels. Once the police have finished wringing the life out of them, taxi driver's chariot. They're big, simple, over engineered vehicles. Good long distance cruisers, not so great around town but if all you're going to do is get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic it might as well be comfy.

On 3/6/2023 at 6:01 PM, HMC said:

Well, this ex US govt police interceptor arrived yesterday….

68D023E8-958D-498F-96BD-9F2E6DACE56B.thumb.jpeg.467096b86e5fa331005b7e5e4cc69137.jpeg

I was told by the transport guy, in broken English, that I should not remove the key from the ignition. I was a bit suprised as I wasn’t told about this by the vendor, but decided to go along with it anyway until I could contact the vendor for clarification.

I duely sent a text, and drove off for some fuel…

A8C8A848-18D9-449C-8914-13D3E733DFE1.thumb.jpeg.bf859117528ead50fdbb2fba7177dbeb.jpeg

Just after this was taken, the car either locked itself ( with the keys in) or a little person pressed the locking and then shut the door.

So a spectacle developed for passers by of me trying to use string, coat hangers and cable ties to avoid having to break a windows to get back in. To break into my own former US government car. After an hour I gave up and broke a rear quarter light (“vent window” as I was later to learn searching for a replacment) 

Anyway, after that was sorted I recieved a text…. The Driver was mistaken, there’s no need or purpose for leaving the keys in the ignition. Oh , right. Brilliant.

Anyway it’s a really nice car, very clean and tidy and unworn. I’m not sure what it’s previous  life entailed but it’s not been lived in and hammered around. 

5F72E938-344C-49BB-9680-4C95393D78DC.thumb.jpeg.a67eea3126dda2fb1501cf476cf8c87a.jpeg

Seems to have been in or around New Jersey… (I’m picturing Tony  Soprano being tailed)

B5A0A508-F53D-411D-AA4F-0BED4481D906.thumb.jpeg.1197b1f31f4c80ab976575d71bf05840.jpeg

It cuts a suitably menacing presence in and around Tavistock…..

B6A43EEC-7609-4755-A9E7-092108DAD287.thumb.jpeg.883fbdd5d41498b6b3e4e48510d2406b.jpeg

Magnificent. I once considered importing a Police interceptor Crown Vic when they were about £10k. Now....

• HMC changed the title to HMC- ADO16 VDP incoming
2 hours ago, HMC said:

Ever since I was a kid, I’ve wanted a bmc 1100/1300. I even rang Derek Bayliss of the 1100 club when I was 15 to ask about buying one.  27 years later I’ve got one incoming- currently being loaded onto a polish registered  beavertail in central london….

3E809EEF-B2C1-42DD-8978-370BD6F28734.thumb.png.7c7c318b1147568b0e88e0d3a79583d9.png

8834FA44-DBA8-4F05-B7DB-61AF745A9274.thumb.png.8caf37c14957285bfe03438f29924246.png

B260B6DD-CE1E-4096-836B-F4687C020E88.thumb.png.9445dce85acda947e0831e996cb971a1.png

Looks like Bermondsey - never seen it about.

E3B01B84-CCF0-4E0B-BC9B-6588814F9796.thumb.jpeg.d81b4ea31305e857db2d6a067dcf33d1.jpeg

This surprisingly solid but scruffy little thing arrived yesterday, offloaded by a gruff polish man, and promptly refused to start. Turns over readily. had to leave it on double yellows all day with a rain soaked note of apology. Surprisingly I didnt get a ticket, maybe they took mercy?

Anyway i towed up up to my car park and at the weekend I’ll have a play and see what’s what. It was happily driving around London, and it’s got fuel in the tank. Apparently the fuel gauge was working but now it doesn’t. Could there be an issue with power to the pump? I’ve checked the fuses and beyond that I’ll start checking for fuel and spark at the engine on Saturday. At no point did I hit it with a stick. Any go to ideas?

• HMC changed the title to HMC- ADO16 VDP does a basil

Assuming it still has the electric pump in the boot, check it ticks with ignition on (will be a very slow tick once float chamber is full).  If not check it has power.  If it has power give it a tap or take the rear cover off and clean the 'points'.  Fuel gauge wire comes through boot floor adjacent to pump so it's possible something has dislodged/damaged both.

31 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Gruff polish man syphoned the petrol out hence guage reading zero?

Good point, although I’ve since put 10 litres in, and gauge not registering toward “e” from bump stop, with ignition on makes me wonder if power to / wiring associated with the pump could be an issue if the gauge also affected? 

1 hour ago, BeEP said:

Assuming it still has the electric pump in the boot, check it ticks with ignition on (will be a very slow tick once float chamber is full).  If not check it has power.  If it has power give it a tap or take the rear cover off and clean the 'points'.  Fuel gauge wire comes through boot floor adjacent to pump so it's possible something has dislodged/damaged both.

Thanks for this, definitely no “ticking” going on, I had a quick check of the wires but nothing more than a quick once over, will report back once I’ve done what you’ve suggested.

9 minutes ago, BeEP said:

You can also test the fuse theory by trying the indicators (or wipers, or heater fan), which are also protected by the single fuse on the ignition switch circuit.

Ah right, yes the wipers and fan are working. I’ll get a multimeter and test that power is getting to the fuel pump later, thanks.

Meanwhile I’m using the crown vic, as a daily, for which it’s totally capable; the council neglected roads around here are matched well to the rugged enchanced police spec. 

Currently I’m toying with offers of either a swap for a 2010 merc e class estate, an Austin maxi, or some money with it against a rover p5b. Or just keeping it. Or a swap/ deal against anything any of you might suggest?

122F803A-5D36-431D-9D0C-3F59D66D7E1F.thumb.jpeg.080adadbe637ebd6af051e67b8666abf.jpeg

• HMC changed the title to HMC- Deal on a crown vic interceptor?

Did you manage to fix that broken window?

I like that series of Crown Victoria very much. I hired one once when I was working in New Orleans. It was triple green, with pale metallic green paintwork, mid-green leather seats and darker green for all the rest of the interior, plastics, carpets, seatbelts and all.

It was a lovely thing to waft around the bayous and the sound of that V8 up front was very pleasing.

5 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Did you manage to fix that broken window?

I like that series of Crown Victoria very much. I hired one once when I was working in New Orleans. It was triple green, with pale metallic green paintwork, mid-green leather seats and darker green for all the rest of the interior, plastics, carpets, seatbelts and all.

It was a lovely thing to waft around the bayous and the sound of that V8 up front was very pleasing.

I’ve got some glass on the way from the USA. Any of your fleet you would want to trade?