HMC- AUTOSHITE 2.0

HMC

48 minutes ago, HMC said:

Meanwhile, I’ve got a collection lined up tomorrow. 90s, German and cheap. It’s also fairly practical as my I’m going to chuck my bicycle in as it provides the connection to and from the station. Assuming the train doesn’t run out of electricity.

Is the Volvo 4 sells then?

I’m a bit nervous about lack of electricity to the train too... got to pick up a certain Mercedes van I left in London...

9 hours ago, marm said:

Is the Volvo 4 sells then?

I’m a bit nervous about lack of electricity to the train too... got to pick up a certain Mercedes van I left in London...

Me too, no the plan (for this week) is to keep the Volvo and the newcomer and have a sort of 90s magazine twin test on my street, until I get bored (Tuesday maybe?)

40 minutes ago, HMC said:

Didn’t want to trespass but there’s an MG rover graveyard just off the a37 and about a million HHR models gathering moss in the background......

EFB3F9D9-490C-4BA8-8DC5-8DD037188BAF.jpeg

Is that the garage that’s still trying to shift “new old stock” (and “old old stock”) stuff for huge amounts of cash? 

BOOM! returned to collect my bike, it’s originally from Scotland I think, spent time in the south of France, and for the last 5 years has been degrading on a driveway. It’s plus mot but feels like it needs using. For instance the throttle pedal is sticky in its travel and jammed fully down earlier- on the hunt for some wd40 supplier as I type

D1C07ABF-02B5-4A43-B15A-87152FB8DF59.jpeg

Back home, overall I’m pleased d with the new acquisition. For a blind e bay purchase it’s not bad, any omissions from the description are fairly minor ones and it drives like a fairly well maintained but 192k e39 should; it’s a whole lot nicer than my old one which was nasty.

Would a locked viscous fan make the car hang onto revs a bit longer than normal? That’s my theory as they can pump a lot of air when needed. On this example that would appear to be all the time!

FF03B0FD-673D-4AE9-89E3-CEAD6DD5C2D2.jpeg

F7FD22FB-D313-45E8-82F4-E88074BAA962.jpeg

Stopped by Wells on the way back and visited the cathedral. Another old ruin that wearing its years well.

10 hours ago, HMC said:

523i manual 

Jammy sod! Yours has less rust than mine too! I am still amazed these cars are so cheap. They drive much better than their years and seem to wear wel. I'd like to try a petrol one at some point but I'll have to wait until another LPG'd example appears coz I'm rather liking having a daily drive that does 45mpg atm ;)

It’s just the rear end, not very knowledgeable on it but essentially it seems a lot less messy than when w124/w210 estate SLS goes tits up with rotten pipework, dribbling fluid and subframe drops galore; I’m a veteran of all that.

It seems even MB thought better of it and the successor to the 210 ended up with air struts rather than spheres and dissolving pipework.

Getting back to the BMW, any people with e39 touring experience had similar?