HMC- AUTOSHITE 2.0

HMC

4 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

That speedo is interesting.  All the Yank speedos I've seen of that era have been graduated from 5 to 85 in 10mph increments.

Possibly a Japan export model originally, if the window tints are in the glass rather than film. The front numberplate is Japanese style...

5 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Stunning, has it got one of those weird drop down and side hinged lower tailgates? I always imagine at some point theyll just fall off if you get it wrong.

Yes. The glass winds down electrically, but yet to figure out how it does the hinges down thing.

48 minutes ago, sickboy said:

That’s fab!! Saw it on Fleabay the other day. Is it running the 4spd automatic (AOD) gearbox? 

You’ll have loads of fun with this!! The colour is astonishing too

Yes it’s got that box. Column shift (“four on the tree”?) I’m going to have to brush up on the lingo.

6 hours ago, Soundwave said:

That is made of win.... although it boggles my mind that the US was still producing stuff like that in the early 90s! Looks straight out of the 70s! :D 

Yeah it’s a bit of a hangover really. From what I’ve read 1991 was also the last year it was offered. When they rebodied it the following year they didn’t do an estate version, instead punters were directed to the Ford Aerostar MPV.

• HMC changed the title to HMC motors- Ford LTD crown Vic station wagon
48 minutes ago, HMC said:

Yes it’s got that box. Column shift (“four on the tree”?) I’m going to have to brush up on the lingo.

Column is the correct place!  You don't need many gears so it doesn't matter how many you actually have.  The mountain of torque will cover your needs.

I've always wanted a proper station wagon...

For a car produced in 1990/1991, that is absolutely representative of everything that was wrong with the US car market.  And it's brilliant.  You could park that next to just about any 70s yank barge and it would look in keeping.  The rear-end is particularly 70s in the way it looks.

The USA never really did "styling" of their cars did they.  It looks like it was designed with a set-square, modelled in lego and fabricated using sheet metal and a folding machine.  Roof?  One big fold.  Tailgate?  another big folded sheet.  Front end as square as possible?  Job done.  A slab of dashboard?  no problem.  Some more slabs for the seats, a lump of asthmatic iron for an engine and we're in business.  12mpg is still fine* in the early 90s isn't it?

What shocks me even more is that people actually bought them.

Crown Vic wagon, nice one! Its pretty much the very last year for the Ford fullsize wagon, '92 would see the new much more aerodynamic Crown Vic that didnt offer a wagon version anymore. You could however still get the amazing Caprice/Roadmaster/Custom Cruiser wagons.

This one should be fairly easy to live with. Its pretty much bomb proof and parts should be easily available, its not like much changed underneath until the platform was retired a few years ago.

2 hours ago, Talbot said:

For a car produced in 1990/1991, that is absolutely representative of everything that was wrong with the US car market.  And it's brilliant.  You could park that next to just about any 70s yank barge and it would look in keeping.  The rear-end is particularly 70s in the way it looks.

The USA never really did "styling" of their cars did they.  It looks like it was designed with a set-square, modelled in lego and fabricated using sheet metal and a folding machine.  Roof?  One big fold.  Tailgate?  another big folded sheet.  Front end as square as possible?  Job done.  A slab of dashboard?  no problem.  Some more slabs for the seats, a lump of ashmatic iron for an engine and we're in business.  12mpg is still fine* in the early 90s isn't it?

What shocks me even more is that people actually bought them.

This wagon is pretty much one of the big exceptions. The US auto industry and especially Ford was over half a decade into a major shift in design principles, that gen Crown was replaced literally a year later. And people  didnt really buy them, they bought minivans and a bit later SUVs instead, which is why this was the last year for it. The Explorer basically replaced it which was very much ahead of its time.

Puts it all in perspective.

Here is me looking for an old fiat panda, like a few us i suspect.

Just think how many fiat pandas we could make with one of those.

Just think8ng there are also many similarities, acceleration and top speed and MPGs !

As i always tell my family when shopping,  always look at the price /kg looking for value for money , i bet this scores well compared to a packet of pasta.

Summary :  marvellous. 

53 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

Not sure sideways seats are illegal to use are they?  If fitted when new you're OK.  Like cars without seatbelts, no requirement to wear one if never fitted.

It's a weird one for sure. This is (amazingly) a 90s car though, would they have already been illegal in the UK by then but not in the states, and if so does that make a difference?