HMC- AUTOSHITE 2.0

HMC

What happened to the bloke on here that had an A30(5?) bought from @cros and used as his everyday car? Land Rover and traction engine botherer, had a plant moving business , can’t remember his name or if he’s still around , I know Cros went to The Other Place and I think the little Austin was a  bit breathed on.

Someone should start a sweepstake on which comes up for sale first.

Im saying VdP before the end of June.. My logic? Even in Devon, there are occasions when one might need to travel at more than 50mph, so the S500 will be the perfect stablemate for the A30. 

17 hours ago, HMC said:

As alluded to on news 24 I have also had a crisis over another car. One which the esteemed LJK Setright had to say this of in 1980....

“That appallingly unlovely and deservedly unlamented little saloon”

Soz Len

C9D8DC46-3FC0-47AD-9CC5-69588CFFA4ED.thumb.jpeg.eb86b5d4c5f5bebca7907ac66e4042c3.jpeg

8EA85D0C-EF57-475B-A12E-B9A01A7050A1.thumb.jpeg.674bd5e6fee1bc27ddd9e37abadc0915.jpeg

06CC9A36-BB99-480E-9950-FC65CF7303E3.thumb.png.ded5224f82655a8a1f1fcc9a8d860714.png

AD6DD4D5-51A6-4C5C-978C-06C8AB4BA009.thumb.png.a7174ed1627206ec9eece6e711b28b37.png

D16DFD7F-5876-4B26-8D6D-3821C95A340F.thumb.jpeg.ddbb9743c39c9d3ec5fb1c4dd9fbd720.jpeg

6FF13DF7-EED2-4825-91DC-76C2C6A5AC84.thumb.png.92f68ee61d11f1cf886425dda35b27ad.png

0D8C6427-9267-4237-977E-D176BA3869CA.thumb.png.b8dd4e4e680910946c0cad796aa9b83c.png

E7E133DA-4D05-4171-ACFD-962A27E471A7.thumb.png.a49703c3667d8b3c23ae52a14b90066b.png

Very nice. I've had a few years ago. They used to go for about £75.

They benefit from daily/weekly maintenance if you use regularly. Brakes are hydo-mechanic - join the owners club to get advice on getting them right. 

Front suspension uses lever arm dampers - wear in the front suspension set up can make them not much fun to drive. Again there is lots of advice to be had there. 

These were a very innovative car at the time - its easy to forget.

*unitary body

*OHV A series engine

*IFS

*3box styling

This is an AS2 version with dash designed by David Bache - he of Range Rover fame. 

Some lovely detailing on them. Look at the fillet plate behind the bumpers to elegantly hide the bumper irons and the Austin of England script. 

Car had an interesting design history - based on a car called the Duncan Drone - then completely reworked by Bob Koto at Loewy and then Dick Burzi at Austin.  The stressed monocoque is very rigid and well engineered - some aircraft tech went into that.

Very good design overall compared to the contemporary Fords and Hillmans - and the fact they are still raced says a lot.

Keep on top of the running maintenance.

48 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

What happened to the bloke on here that had an A30(5?) bought from @cros and used as his everyday car? Land Rover and traction engine botherer, had a plant moving business , can’t remember his name or if he’s still around , I know Cros went to The Other Place and I think the little Austin was a  bit breathed on.

Im saying VdP before the end of June.. My logic? Even in Devon, there are occasions when one might need to travel at more than 50mph, so the S500 will be the perfect stablemate for the A30. 

That description sounds a little bit like @JimH, but actually I don't think it was him!

I know who you mean now, but not by name. He had a white DAF and a lowloader.

50 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

You are thinking of Scruff, I bought my Land Rover 90 from him, I think he might not have the A35 anymore 

1 hour ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Allegro ones are clearly superior because they give you somewhere to secure your mug of tea.

Mug? Mug?!  Peasant.

Have you not read that brochure? It’s all about point-to-points and the Hilton, not White City dog track and the Crossroads Motel you know.

Outstanding purchases sir ?

No, it's obviously most likely to have been used as an ad-hoc ash tray.

Super purchase. I thought I was good at sniffing things out but obviously my stone cold ignorance of proper cars makes these elude me. And to be honest I don't really have enough (or really any) class for a Vanden Plas. 

What's the plan? I know you're as bad as me for selling stuff on but is that likely with this? 

Just noticed the Cardiganshire registration, in my formative years I visited Merion Motors in Aberystwyth whenever we went to what was to us the biggest town we ever went to. BL cars were relatively rare in rural mid Wales in the 70’s- Ford was king with dealers In  smaller towns and even some villages. I used to stand looking longingly at SD1s until the salesman found me whatever brochures I hadn’t already got and sent me on my way. There were a lot of retired Brummies around who would have been the most likely first owner for this as they had more money than local older people, and were often the snobby type that was BLs targeted demographic.

There must have been a dealer in Cardigan although I can’t remember it and one in Llandysul where my mum bought a Mk2 Capri trade in.