HMC motors- primera BTCC

I had a mk3 golf gti up till last year. Weve just replaced a mk4 gti 20vt but I've kept the car. Going to be my winter beater. Bought with 150 thou on it now on 200 thou. Both cars were absolutly faultless but the mk4 especially drove like a new car and everything still works. Bearing in mind its on a 99 t plate. Say what you like about modern vag stuff cos that really is a bag of shite trading on past glories but the mk 4 golf/bora is a high water mark. Not that interesting ill grant you but just plain good

IMG_20200411_162959414.jpg

Just realised that yesterday marked 10 years of existing on the forum. That’s over 3650 days of probably checking in every day (!)

Around that time I had a £120 Volvo 240 glt estate and a £250 e34 525 amongst others. I think whilst the cars at the bottom end back then are now bona fide classics (with similarly larger price tags) My interest in cheap cars is still just as keen. Actually there is a bit of a pattern as they were about 20 years old and so are my current cars!

10 years on what will you be driving? what cheap stuff now will be more pricey in 10 years? Over to you

• HMC changed the title to HMC motors- in 10 years time?
35 minutes ago, HMC said:

Just realised that yesterday marked 10 years of existing on the forum. That’s over 3650 days of probably checking in every day (!)

Around that time I had a £120 Volvo 240 glt estate and a £250 e34 525 amongst others. I think whilst the cars at the bottom end back then are now bona fide classics (with similarly larger price tags) My interest in cheap cars is still just as keen. Actually there is a bit of a pattern as they were about 20 years old and so are my current cars!

10 years on what will you be driving? what cheap stuff now will be more pricey in 10 years? Over to you

I reckon we'll all* be drooling over Hyundai I30 estates and that you won't be able to get a mk3 Fiesta for less than 3k.

*well, Autoshite members 

10 years ago I had an e28 520i which I paid £400 for and a Golf mk1 convertible which I got for nothing and sold for about £800. Actually the e28 was one of the few cars I kept for long enough to see the value rise, if only by a few hundred quid. Not quite as cheap as HMC's motors but still very affordable, and now bona fide classics. Both were relatively hassle free and cheap to run. I owned them at the right time.

Generally speaking, if we kept them for long enough to see values rise we'd miss out on owning loads of other great cars at the bottom of the curve... plus often the older they get the harder they become to maintain. Parts are cheaper for bangers than they are for classics!

In ten years time I'm looking forward to cheap hybrid and electric vehicles. Imagine a Tesla for less than a grand... I wonder what it would be like? Or a Nissan e-NV200 as a cheap DIY camper/day van? Plus there are a few fun and interesting designs amid the mainstream dross. The Citroen Cactus springs to mind. A BMW 1 series (saloon or cab) or an Audi A1 would also appeal for a bit of cute compact class on the cheap. And Audi A7s have a presence about them that would be hard to resist for, say, £500.

The future looks bright to me...

2 hours ago, HMC said:

what cheap stuff now will be more pricey in 10 years? Over to you

Anything with a decent engine - i.e. 6cyl or 8cyl. Also powerful n/a vehicles. 

Almost certain the Clio 172/182, Civic type-R and the like will be at price levels of Renault 5 GT Turbo, 205 GTi and other revered 80s hot hatches are now. Just see current liability levels at the moment on them! They'll carry on being stripped + smashed on the track and broken for parts. 

RX8 will do alright as quirky styling like nothing else and quirky engine. 

2 hours ago, HMC said:

10 years on what will you be driving?

There really isn't much that I find interesting which is 10yrs old now and will be interesting at 20yrs old? Everything is direct injection petrol but rare as everyone went common rail diesel. These have DPF and the like. Petrols will just be carbon up and lacking performance. Especially against electric cars in 10yrs. 

Even worse is 20yrs time will just be a this SUV shit, with tiny petrols strapped to turbos that is so popular now. 

4 hours ago, SiC said:

There really isn't much that I find interesting which is 10yrs old now and will be interesting at 20yrs old? Everything is direct injection petrol but rare as everyone went common rail diesel. These have DPF and the like. Petrols will just be carbon up and lacking performance. Especially against electric cars in 10yrs. 

Even worse is 20yrs time will just be a this SUV shit, with tiny petrols strapped to turbos that is so popular now. 

Agreed. With new internal combustion sales outlawed soon after 2030 perhaps the shiters choice is simply to own a car powered by internal combustion? How old skool.

Life with the a forum favourite* the mk4 golf has been uneventful. The v5 is fun and quite noisy. I think it has a sports exhaust as the 5 cylinder throb seems quite loud. When not in such a mood there is the 1.6 SE. It’s a bit tired and wallowy- wether the v5 is set up differently I don’t know, or perhaps a bit of age related wear and tear on the 1.6? Probably a bit of both. It’s generally pretty smart for a 20 year old, even if the door handles have gone a bit VAG.

C02C76DE-B7D8-4446-9B5C-5CAD1A5BFF0A.thumb.jpeg.9eeb63cada8937e64e409f4d11f47a27.jpeg

F22178CF-4367-4E02-AA06-EFF67CB16F9C.thumb.jpeg.915ffdb0aba4f6cd84e8c02cb0ab169e.jpeg

Does anyone know if the radio cassette is standard? It looks period correct, although it may have been chopped about a bit as the rear shelf has pretty impressive holes cut for a long since departed ICE set up. Still, it gives something for the kids to entertain themselves with.....

45FFC5BE-DB11-4827-AB0A-79A3A76E4F98.thumb.jpeg.fa246af322e5868840fe3b86539f3562.jpeg

9E7D62CE-D4F6-40B8-8DDF-373311FA0FD4.thumb.jpeg.26d8f0db273e224ad29beabd0375d835.jpeg

• HMC changed the title to HMC motors- Life as a dubber
  • 3 weeks later...
  • HMC changed the title to HMC motors- Primera P11 minicab arrival

They’re quite thin on the ground now, that generation of Primera. Do they rust as badly as the Almera? Look forward to seeing the daylight pics.

Childhood memory of these was a daft old neighbour having one (R126 AVX) driving home  drunk from the pub (as he did all the time) and clipping the front bumper of my granddads Fiesta Ghia (P739 LEV) as he was reversing onto his drive. Grandad, taking no shit, saw it, went out and confronted him, smelt the booze and called the cops, who then came and breathalysed him. 3 times the DD limit IIRC. He obviously received a nice long ban for that.

Not sure what happened to the Primera but it was in surprisingly good condition. The silly old duffer had some stickers on the middle of his garage door (presumably) so he could line the car up in his car port as he was reversing in while pissed.

Someone else in the village had a Cabstar which was R127 AVX.

8 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Is that rear wiper factory?  I don't recall ever seeing P11 saloons thus equipped.

Yup. Entirely  factory. So many JDM saloons had rear wipers in the 1990s judging by what I saw in NZ. Very odd that the Primera brought such technology to Europe, where it was more like a five-minute fad (Mondeo Mk1, Dedra, some Imprezas).

7 hours ago, jonathan_dyane said:

Gorgeous! Junkman used to witter on about 1986 and all that but I maintain the P11 Primera was the pinnacle of vehicular development.

I think the peak of functional, reliable car design is the late 80s-mid 90s era. 

The P10 Primera is a better car in engineering terms, eg the P11 has a torsion beam rear axle instead of the P10's multi link set up. I also think the P10 is better built. 

But good luck finding a nice P10 now, this thing looks great. Nice find and buy. 

• HMC changed the title to HMC motors- primera BTCC