HMC- AUTOSHITE 2.0

HMC

Love that sticker @HMC

I had a genuine, works Supertouring splitter and spoiler for mine, along with my 18” Raceline RL7’s - try finding those in 114.3x4 PCD... I was merrily chopping it up to make the BTCC rep I always wanted.

Doors hollowed out, poly windows, attempting to tub the arches to be able to absolutely slam the thing with no skirts etc. 🤣

It was fitting that I was using a 1600 Si A/C shell, as the RML cars were never built from GT shells, despite being badged as such.

A mate had a 1993 Japanese import one of these around 2002 with a 1.8; looked like an eGT with gingercators but seemed faster than any 2.0 I ever drove

Even a 2.0d another mate had the guts of 20 years ago was sharper than you'd think

Tbh, I don't think I've seen a P11 in the wild for a good while, let alone a P10; even P12s seem to be thinning out by now

On 13/10/2020 at 08:22, Lacquer Peel said:

I think the peak of functional, reliable car design is the late 80s-mid 90s era. 

The P10 Primera is a better car in engineering terms, eg the P11 has a torsion beam rear axle instead of the P10's multi link set up. I also think the P10 is better built. 

But good luck finding a nice P10 now, this thing looks great. Nice find and buy. 

NO the p12 had the beam set up

p11 was same as p10 hence they were quite good at BTCC

p11 has plastic wiper spindle bushes which WILL wear and wipers WILL clonk on bonnet edge- p10 items are metel and will fit ti solve the problem

8 minutes ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

I had a P11 GT, certainly one of the best 2.0 NA pez engines of all time if you ask me, an absolute stormer of a thing. Brilliant.

BITD, I had a couple of brand new SR20DE’s and I could barely shift the things. Not many knew about them, really.

I guess similar to not many being aware of the SR16/20VE/T, to this day. I’m sure the tag line for the VE stuff was something like ‘VTEC, invented by Honda. Perfected by Nissan’

34 minutes ago, Out Run said:

P11 didn’t have the P10 IRS, it was beam.

The second generation Nissan Primera was launched in the end of 1995 in Japan, and in the autumn of 1996 in Europe. Unique in its class, new Primera featured multi link beam rear suspension with multi-link front suspension.

50 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

The second generation Nissan Primera was launched in the end of 1995 in Japan, and in the autumn of 1996 in Europe. Unique in its class, new Primera featured multi link beam rear suspension with multi-link front suspension.

I had one for years, they were different at the rear to the P10. Like it says, multi-link beam. 

4 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

My username may be a clue but I cant recall a single P11 that passed through our yard having a multi link system the same as a P10. We did have some oddballs though such as a very early H reg P10 with a 8v Bluebird engine and another two P10s which had dealer fitted weber conversions.

• HMC changed the title to HMC motors- Alfa 166- IT WORKS!

This may seem a non event- but not to me who never takes things for granted when it come to old chod. After collecting the 166 I basically parked it up and left it. One week on would be an interesting test; interesting at least if you want to have an on the button car with no starting issues. 

Would it churn  slowly? Would it just give me an array of dash lights and clicking from Relays? Well it fired up strongly and settled to an even idle.  

I decided to take it for a blast on Dartmoor en route to my takeaway pizza. How Italian.  The weather was/is pretty awful so you cant see any Dartmoor except for heavy fog and drizzle. And an Italian rarity, on uk roads at least.

29D0E861-B78F-4BE8-AFE0-6964C4F92187.thumb.jpeg.d69baa92caabfad5ebea6ba596d24fb9.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • HMC changed the title to HMC motors- TAXI! incoming
4 hours ago, HMC said:

So. Ummmmm. 

64DBFFB6-6540-49A2-9BA9-609F6F4EF494.thumb.png.b0c4083ec2d4d0a61321fa18e918c6ab.png

Just don't.

At least being ex London it'll be an auto with no DMF issues. 

Check for rust, rust and more rust. A leaky steering box is a given. Comedy electrics too, check for badly fitted radio wiring. HGF issues aren't uncommon along with autobox problems. 

I found myself looking at TX1s last night and considering them as a very viable option for the next chapter in Bornite’s Durable Motoring series.

Would have to be a colour and not black. Don’t want to see a single mum getting mauled in the back of it by a well endowed man in lieu of a £5.35 fare. 

Enjoy. Will have a brace of tickets when you’re bored. 

Less than £500 for a taxi with a year’s MoT seems real value to me. 

Mind you, I am going by FX4/Fairway values from the late 90s/early 00s, maybe those were more popular, due to nostalgia/lack of alternatives.

I find it hard to believe FX4s were more rust resistant than TX’s but they did have the advantage of very solid chassis.  I assume TX’s are proper monocoques? 

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I found myself looking at TX1s last night and considering them as a very viable option for the next chapter in Bornite’s Durable Motoring series.

Would have to be a colour and not black. Don’t want to see a single mum getting mauled in the back of it by a well endowed man in lieu of a £5.35 fare. 

Enjoy. Will have a brace of tickets when you’re bored. 

The newest TX1 will be getting on for nearly 18 years old now so expect plenty of welding done for "passing" work. The Nissan engine lasts forever but the transmissions, either auto or manual, don't. Build quality os fucking awful at best with plenty of squeaks and rattles from new. Expect 22 mpg auto and 27 mpg manual around the doors. Top speed can vary from 75 mph to just under a 100 with a tailwind.  Some manuals have a very heavy clutch due to the cone wearing out. 

Plenty of the later TX2s were treated to a Nissan engine conversion which works well.  

Bronze spec means vinyl seats and rubber flooring in the back. Silver means a hard wearing rear carpet and tough British Rail fabric seats in the rear and Gold means as Silver but with plenty of fake wood trim and aircon that won't work.

9 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Less than £500 for a taxi with a year’s MoT seems real value to me. 

Mind you, I am going by FX4/Fairway values from the late 90s/early 00s, maybe those were more popular, due to nostalgia/lack of alternatives.

I find it hard to believe FX4s were more rust resistant than TX’s but they did have the advantage of very solid chassis.  I assume TX’s are proper monocoques? 

TX1 &2s have a separate chassis.

Trust me, the Fairway/FX4 rusts just as bad if not worse!

Aged Nissan powered cabs can be very poor starters, especially in cold weather.

Paintwork can be fucked due the changing full body wrap ads every year. They do break reasonably well with Gold and Silver trim sought after along with the optional front passenger seat. Tyres are cheap and last forever as do brake pads. Steering dampers give trouble and in the worst case a steering box can shear from the chassis. 

How long a cab lives for can depend on where it spent the first few years of its life. We always avoided Scottish registered cabs as they seemed to attract rust issues along with being worked harder. Ignore mileage and go for a low number of previous keepers, get an owner driven cab if you can.