HMC- AUTOSHITE 2.0

HMC

51 minutes ago, SiC said:

How well do HDI engines like veg? Might be a good test bed to experiment on when it's getting even close to end of life!

The lift pumps hate it - you can run 20% - more than that and you can get fault codes popping up and lumpy running

2007 should have a soot caralyst but no dpf

2 hours ago, UltraWomble said:

The lift pumps hate it - you can run 20% - more than that and you can get fault codes popping up and lumpy running

2007 should have a soot caralyst but no dpf

Interesting.. can the lift pump (presumably in tank?) Be easily replaced?

99% chance it doesn't have a DPF

especially if it's the 92 horsepower version

oh yeah and you will never get the glow plugs out, they love welding them in on the DV6

the injector seals do cause much excitement even after theyre fixed due to contaminated oil and turbo failure

if you want to do a proper oil change theres a tiny little filter on the turbo feed pipe which needs checking

https://frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46915&fbclid=IwAR1iiZw8moi2T1q1W9QXMjb-VfDwGCR2jzBH75k-z7n7hksPAwE3a2Xpl4c

This is quite an interesting read on preventing multiple turbo failures in quick succession

2 hours ago, 320touring said:

Interesting.. can the lift pump (presumably in tank?) Be easily replaced?

Yes, but they're not cheap, and probably cost more than the saving made by running 20% SVO.

I say SVO, as if you run waste oil in one of these at 20% you probably won't even survive that tankful.

Common rail injection systems and Veg of any kind just don't really go together.  PD engines can just about cope with it, but realistically you need a mechanical injection pump.  Anything else is playing Russian roulette with where and when you break down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It’s been an eventful recent time with family and cars both.

Long story short- the 4 speedBerlingo had a tired 1.6 hdi lump and was pretty tired on whatever basis you judged it. On the odd occasion when warmed up it would hang onto it’s revs when changing up, having had a runway HDI once already I decided to ditch it.

Forgive me forum for I have sinned. It’s not shite and it’s an Audi. A6 2.7v6 TDI QUATTRO tiptronic is it’s full title. It’s a 2006 and has a particularly nasty VED band. But it works and is faultless and cheap. Could do with one new tyre. But that’s it. Is it vain to say I look respectable in it? No apologies necessary to the masses. It’s made me start wanting something extra turn of the millennium VAG like a golf/ beetle  V5 Or a TT or an A2 Once again, sorry. At the time I worshipped stuff like that, aged 20 and a penniless student. Sorry again. Ohh soft touch plastics. I think I need counselling.

7F5AE83C-472C-40B3-98FF-A93FDA6CA966.jpeg

86CCFBBE-F2F1-407E-AB1A-3B023EFCF5B3.jpeg

The auto in the Quattro is not cvt, i was particularly keen to avoid a flakey auto gearbox - it’s the 2wd auto on these that’s a bit flakey “selectronic”, this 6 speed tiptronic is supposed to be pretty robust. Certainly pretty impressive; not DSG Avant grade But nicely matched to the engine and never caught napping.

I think I need to buy a trabant Or something dynamically awful to offset my non shite footprint

I really want to hate VAG. Yet they're comfortable, almost all go well, well specced, nice places to sit, generally inoffensive looking and plentiful of parts. It's why we have a 196k example of a A4 B8 still after 3 years with zero plans to replace. 

There is sweet spots of VAG. If you hit the right ones they're decent machines. Get the wrong ones they're horrendous. Many just do what the yanks say, Nickle and Dime you with many small but persistence different problems. 

I don't understand the VAG hate but I think it's probably something to do with the anti-shite semi "premium" brand status together with the scene/tax around older cars which is daft but probably less so than say for classic Fords.

Personally I've owned dozens of cheaply bought and mostly poorly maintained VAG vehicles which have all provided charming, rugged, and typically reliable transport. They're not perfect but what is?

I bet that Audi is a lovely thing to cruise (blast?) around in. Well bought!

18 minutes ago, marm said:

I don't understand the VAG hate but I think it's probably something to do with the anti-shite semi "premium" brand status together with the scene/tax around older cars which is daft but probably less so than say for classic Fords.

I think it's the fact that they're overrated - the myth of superior build quality and reliability still persists when a Mk4 or Mk5 Golf is no better built or more reliable than the equivalent Focus.  They're not actively bad cars - some of them have annoying faults, but then so do most brands.  I've had a number of Audis and quite liked them.

I find one of the most annoying day to day niggles on early 00s VAG is the rubberised coating they used to (still?) put on switches/ buttons etc. It sort of goes soft/ gooey or peels off and feels like someone’s smeared a half eaten wine gum over it. Perceived quality own goal.

So do early 2000 Renaults. A cleaning product called Elbow Grease is supposed to work well. 

Our 2010 A4 did away with the rubberised coating and went for smooth plastic made in high quality injection moulds. So still looking mostly fine after almost 197k miles. 

28 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I think it's the fact that they're overrated - the myth of superior build quality and reliability still persists when a Mk4 or Mk5 Golf is no better built or more reliable than the equivalent Focus.  They're not actively bad cars - some of them have annoying faults, but then so do most brands.  I've had a number of Audis and quite liked them.

It's fair to argue that VW lost their competitive edge around the turn of the century, and that at times they have traded on reputation and perceived quality. But at the same time there do seem to be more Mk4 Golfs still on the road than there are Mk1 Focuses about.  At least around here...

It always seemed that the Focus was the first car that really gave the Golf a run for it's money. Given that the Golf came out in the mid 70s (and remained light years ahead of anything Ford were making throughout the 80s) you can see how VW built their reputation. I reckon up to the end of the 90s VAG stuff WAS better built than most of the competition, at least from Europe. Not always better to drive, obviously.

For me the early 00s is where they lost it slightly... the cars becoming bloated and full of plastic rather than their solidly engineered predecessors. But they made cars that people wanted.