HMC- AUTOSHITE 2.0

HMC

Saw a few of these through the garage.  The absolute definition of "dull but utterly effective" sums them up in my book.  The automotive equivalent of the colour magnolia.

I seem to recall them being surprisingly pleasant to drive and riding better than most of the competition aside from PSA's offerings despite also handling quite well.  Just lacked any character...bit more of a growl from the engine when pushed...but more feel through the steering...any one thing would have helped.  However it was all just "Precisely good enough." Very much felt like a car conceived by years of very clever people in focus groups and research studies then designed by equally clever Japanese computers.

Bit of a cosmetic tidy up, a good service and you've probably got a decent motor there if those arches are anything to go by.

Condensation is likely linked to the rear light damage...if there are bungs in the spare wheel well (assuming it's inside) it would be worth removing them if there's any signs of water in there until the lights are sorted.

That rear wiper looks like a giffer add-on, although it’s obviously factory. I think it looks so naff because it’s ‘parked‘ in the wrong place.

BT Cellnet aerial indicates a company or fleet was the likely first owner.  

This generation of Primera just seemed to disappear quickly from the roads, I don’t think they were as durable as the P10s and they were a lot less likely to be sold to the private buyer new - the Toyota Avensis and Honda Accord had it beat in that market.

• HMC changed the title to HMC motors- Live collection caper

I seem to remember Nissan went to great lengths to make these primera's handle and ride great but made the interior out of sprayed takeaway cartons. Theyrealised making a nice driving didn't sell cars so the next generation didnt drive that great but got a tv in the middle of the dashboard.

I’ve just spent 12 minutes of my life watching a corporate vid with Tiff Needel basically hammering home that point and comparing it to 406/mondeo/vectra/ a4/318 They looked almost entirely at driving dynamics and avoided all reference to the interior except ergonomics and spaciousness;  “above average” on that one apparently.

• HMC changed the title to HMC motors- Live NEW 90s Alfa saloon

Alfas to my knowledge From circ mid 90s-mid 2000s (possibly to more recent that that?) all have a small reflective foil sticker on the inner bit of the boot lid panel that tells you the colour in full fat Italian.

2BE42ACF-63E7-4231-8DCB-3224C3762A7E.thumb.jpeg.e8edff8752f0570044884ff8eef8f1db.jpeg

“Nero vulcano” which makes even a lacquer peel sound sexy. Volcano black to you and me. It’s more a dark aubergine. 

26 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Lovely, good choice.

I kept looking at it when it was for sale and fighting the urge! 

It would make a nice partner to the 156 v6 saloon. Although small body/large engine vs big body/small engine It would be very sluggish in comparison!

Been using the ‘99 primera 2.0 as my daily.   You don’t have to make allowances. It just all works, and works well.  The things you touch and the sounds you hear that perhaps clinic well with VAG products were probably not spoke highly of when new. But the secret is that they stand up well to use and remain in full working order 21 years on. Respect. Plus it’s actually good fun to drive.

D4AB40E8-32E0-48D6-98F1-1F393E40DCB4.thumb.jpeg.bff16fe9be3a07bd9f838d259d8004f6.jpeg

AA96CC41-5342-40AF-9639-5C235B23EF71.thumb.jpeg.c894d08e1200bf034699ab8268d0b933.jpeg

• HMC changed the title to HMC motors- Verdict on primera

Hey did a primera gti(??) Didn't they? Always wondered how good they are, people speak very highly of, and the talent always has to come from the car its based on

Edit, same year as my golf gti 20vt. More proof of my theory that mid 90s to mid 2000s is the absolute high spot of car

44 minutes ago, Matty said:

Hey did a primera gti(??) Didn't they? Always wondered how good they are, people speak very highly of, and the talent always has to come from the car its based on

Edit, same year as my golf gti 20vt. More proof of my theory that mid 90s to mid 2000s is the absolute high spot of car

They did a eZX,a eGT  and a GT also a GT SE and a GT Chromaflair

image.jpeg.56a48e14dee2eda37fead293770b36b6.jpeg

Nissan Primera 2.0 GT Tech Specs: Top Speed, Power, Acceleration, MPG +  More 1991-1996

NISSAN PRIMERA 1999 nissan primera 2.0 gt, gtle, red, 72000 miles, original  example, must look Used - the parking

My Mystic GTSE - Nissan Primera Owners Club

Yesterday's colours: best colour on a car - Page 14 - General Gassing -  PistonHeads

49 minutes ago, DVee8 said:

They did a eZX,a eGT  and a GT also a GT SE and a GT Chromaflair

image.jpeg.56a48e14dee2eda37fead293770b36b6.jpeg

Nissan Primera 2.0 GT Tech Specs: Top Speed, Power, Acceleration, MPG +  More 1991-1996

NISSAN PRIMERA 1999 nissan primera 2.0 gt, gtle, red, 72000 miles, original  example, must look Used - the parking

My Mystic GTSE - Nissan Primera Owners Club

Yesterday's colours: best colour on a car - Page 14 - General Gassing -  PistonHeads

God i remember that paint. Apparently easy to damage repair cos your never looking for a break to hide the paint match as it never matches anyway 🤣

2 hours ago, HMC said:

Been using the ‘99 primera 2.0 as my daily.   You don’t have to make allowances. It just all works, and works well.  The things you touch and the sounds you hear that perhaps clinic well with VAG products were probably not spoke highly of when new. But the secret is that they stand up well to use and remain in full working order 21 years on. Respect. Plus it’s actually good fun to drive.

D4AB40E8-32E0-48D6-98F1-1F393E40DCB4.thumb.jpeg.bff16fe9be3a07bd9f838d259d8004f6.jpeg

AA96CC41-5342-40AF-9639-5C235B23EF71.thumb.jpeg.c894d08e1200bf034699ab8268d0b933.jpeg

Every time you post "scenic" photos of your cars I remember how much fun those roads were in the Rover 45 and, going back in the opposite direction, in the 156.

On 10/16/2020 at 9:46 AM, Six-cylinder said:

Maybe, but fast compared to a W124 200TE 8v auto!

Yes, 2-litre 166s aren't a slow car at all, although you do need to rev them.  They're not too bad on fuel either for what they are.

Obviously the one to have is a 3-litre V6 with a 6-speed manual, but they're starting to make what I consider to be daft money now.

• HMC changed the title to HMC motors- primera BTCC