HMC- MGF Streetwise

HMC

8 hours ago, cms206 said:

I'm busy next weekend and on 11hr nightshifts so actually going to get it is the issue - cash is sitting! Tavistock is too far to manage between shifts.

83C Transport Services can assist with that. I’ve dropped you a message on Facebook.

• 3 weeks later...

So last weekend I lost my bank card; as I was reporting it lost sat in the sturdy old vectra c, it got sideswiped whilst parked by the roadside. Long story short it was more of a graze down the side and I suggested if he gave me £100 we would forget about it- and that’s what we did. It was a bit bashed on the corners anyway and it’s still on the fleet.

4B1DDD54-F8EA-4F2E-914B-2B0EE5B0A5AF.thumb.jpeg.35ca8de880ed14839cddb2a8c3537e15.jpeg

Earlier times- vectra c - literally invisible street furniture 

Anyway- this £100 I decided would be used to buy the cheapest road legal car I could find. Gumtree and regularly looking for new items, and dredging a lot of crap lead me to a £150 Megane. It was reported as having an EML, no v5 and having been sidelined as they couldn’t be bothered to sort it. When I had a look it was on 3 cylinders but otherwise was ok for £150. They had the v5c/2 so I should be able to dodge the dvla fee for a new one. I decided to take a chance on it as it was fairly tidy, had a long MOT and I was hoping a coil pack or spark plug would fix it. Plus I’ve always wanted to try one of these.

My cheap code reader wasn’t that useful diagnostically; so rolling up sleeves old school I had a look. One plug was wet- changing that didn’t fix it but replacing that coil did. The code reader was good at cancelling the EML and it’s been a nice little local runner ever since. It’s a light green rather than the silver it looks in the pics.

0C0D2DA0-9D12-4130-B8DF-EFEBBDFF2374.jpeg

E900F55F-AB98-4E8D-AE67-E6C46793146D.jpeg

3F13E812-C82D-4546-9AF3-FBCC7216D805.jpeg

2AE2B7CC-E46E-4780-809B-46C28532F970.jpeg

B469FA38-F7DF-4561-A4C0-82180BCF5C81.jpeg

The best way to diagnose which coil pack is gone on those is to remove the alloy shield over the injectors and disconnect those one at a time to find the lazy cylinder . 

For some reason doing the same with the coils themselves doesn’t work .

i like mk1 migraines

Gets £100 to cover a sideswipe to a dismal piece of street furniture.

Immediately hits up gumtree armed with that same £100 to see if they can find a whole other car for that cash.

Some people have the cheek to say this place ain't what it used to be. *doffs cap to HMC*

They weren’t actually a bad car at all those Mk1 Meganes especially the facelift ones with the 16 valve engine. The 1.4 was particularly nippy, was a fairly easy engine to work on as well. Filter at front, the alternator probably easiest I’ve seen, coils again simple job. Back end of sills used to rot like fuck though, Renault in their fucking wisdom painted over the oval shaped bungs that were designed to let water out of the sills. Water sloshing about in the sills was a common problem with these sadly. 

£150 Meganes are for winners.

I bought mine for £9 more than that in 2016 with 7 months MOT. I changed the belts and had a 2nd hand driveshaft fitted, ran it for 2 MOTs which it pretty much sailed through and it's still on the road with someone, somewhere.

Great car, very comfy and nippy for a 1.4.

It's criminal that these are so overlooked, most on here go for a 306 instead. Well bought. 

On 9/8/2019 at 1:11 PM, Bren said:

Not many would offload a volvo to keep a vectra.

But this is autoshite.

I'd have registered that Volvo in someone from the C(o)untryside Alliance's name and address than left it on a main road in London somewhere.  Nothing more than they deserve.  

1 hour ago, snagglepuss said:

The brakes were fine* at the end of the main straight and I certainly didn't* have to use the gears to get rid of some speed before duffers.

13 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

The best way to diagnose which coil pack is gone on those is to remove the alloy shield over the injectors and disconnect those one at a time to find the lazy cylinder . 

For some reason doing the same with the coils themselves doesn’t work .

i like mk1 migraines

Yes, I tried the disconnecting the coils separately and It didn’t really help narrow it down. Have you had any of these as courtesy cars?

Bit of a low point for Renault UK with this bland ad- no Nicole nor no shaking of ass to speak of in this 1999 offering. Then again what is there to say about a megane facelift?  That doesn’t usually stop ad agencies from having a bit of car emerging from explosions in a steelworks nonsense going on.

DVLA news and maybe a helpful hint.

I only got a ragged bit of the old new keeper supplement with the migrane. I Was ready to fill out a v62 cross my fingers, chuck it in the post and hunker down for a 4 week wait for a V5. I looked at the complete v5 I’ve got for the vectra. I noticed the document reference numbers on the main bit and the new keeper supplement were identical but for a single extra digit on the new keeper bit.

Optimistically I thought I’d try putting it through online that I was the new keeper by dropping the first digit on the new keeper supplement bit. I tried and it seems to have gone through- so I should have the new v5 in about 4 working days rather than 4 weeks- quite a difference!

May be worth trying if you either end up with a less than complete v5 or begin to suspect the former keeper has lost their bit of the v5 down the back of the sofa during a snooze.

12 hours ago, HMC said:

DVLA news and maybe a helpful hint.

I only got a ragged bit of the old new keeper supplement with the migrane. I Was ready to fill out a v62 cross my fingers, chuck it in the post and hunker down for a 4 week wait for a V5. I looked at the complete v5 I’ve got for the vectra. I noticed the document reference numbers on the main bit and the new keeper supplement were identical but for a single extra digit on the new keeper bit.

Optimistically I thought I’d try putting it through online that I was the new keeper by dropping the first digit on the new keeper supplement bit. I tried and it seems to have gone through- so I should have the new v5 in about 4 working days rather than 4 weeks- quite a difference!

May be worth trying if you either end up with a less than complete v5 or begin to suspect the former keeper has lost their bit of the v5 down the back of the sofa during a snooze.

Yeah, that works, did it with the CR-V which only came with a new keeper’s supplement. Megane looks nice btw, top purchasing as always.

Vectra c woes!

1.  I own one 

2. After a motorway blast the EML came on and it went into (I think) limp mode, I flicked the ignition and the EML and limp mode disappeared but now it idles roughly and has a part throttle hesitancy/jerking and about 1500-2000rpm.  It feels like it’s on all 4 in general but with an occasional miss. It’s akso started loosing coolant but in this weather unsure if it’s just a hose weep. It’s not overheating. Ideas from the AS hive mind?!