HMC- AUTOSHITE 2.0

HMC

Been there etc. If it's a big leak the compressor stops after 8 minutes or so. Usual culprits are the air bags, I bought a £39 one from Ebay that went pop on the motorway in Holland 6 months later so paid £158 for a ECP one when we got back. The pipe work  to the bags is under the rear floor inside the car.

Snap! This is mine limping home from Eindhoven.

45318660_sonydump104.thumb.jpg.ae39a3f399787abfa435285724bb52f9.jpg

1 minute ago, cort16 said:

As long as it goes back up when you start it and it doesn't take half an hour I'd not bother (until it pops or the pump burns out)

It goes up fairly speedily and stays up over a few hours; that was the result of sitting overnight. 

The bags are easy to change, only a couple of bolts and a shit plastic clip holding the air pipe on.  Needs jacking up, wheel and boot floor removing Mine was usable for ages then developed when I driving myself to hospital, That's when I fitted the cheap bag which bit me later.

7 hours ago, HMC said:

Getting back to the BMW, any people with e39 touring experience had similar?

Mine is the same but always rises again when you put the key in the door.

6 hours ago, EssDeeWon said:

I had a 523 saloon.   Never knew these estates/tourings had that rear set up going on.  Every day a school day I guess.

It's amazing. Looking forward to trying it out with my caravan on the back, as it's self-levelling.

5 hours ago, Luxxo Waftybarger said:

Cheaper to do the bags before it fails.

Will this fault always be leaking air bags? I may add this to list of running repairs but I'm kinda also of the philosophy if it ain't broke, then don't go messing with it in case you do break it....

4 hours ago, Flat4 said:

Mine is the same but always rises again when you put the key in the door.

It's amazing. Looking forward to trying it out with my caravan on the back, as it's self-levelling.

Will this fault always be leaking air bags? I may add this to list of running repairs but I'm kinda also of the philosophy if it ain't broke, then don't go messing with it in case you do break it....

Could be all sorts of things in the air system including the bags

As mentioned before, it'll be leaky airbags in the back, definitely something you can expect at this age, and not particularly expensive or hard to fix (and they'll last another 15 years again). And no, 523i aren't fast in any version, you'd need a 528i for that at least, especially in the Touring. At least its no auto? Vanos probably needs fixing as the seal rings will be worn out by now, you lose a bit of torque under 3500rpm because of that. Your's has dual vanos so it'll probably be quite noticeable.

Long time lurker here, however couldn’t resist to dig out my old account to say I’ve just bought an E39 523i manual myself - but in saloon flavour.  Can’t understand the comments that a 523i manual is slow - compared to my usual old chod it feels positively rapid.  Official stats seem to suggest 0-60 leptons in 8.2 secs for a manual - not too shabby!

The 940 had an FTP the other day- about a minute after a cold start I stalled it at a busy junction- much cranking and embarrassment later and I gave up and coasted backwards into a lucky parking space. My gut feeling was crank sensor or fuel pump. Ten minutes later it started and has run fine since. Intermittent mechanical issue or simple case of flooded engine? I’m thinking the latter

E717A63C-3990-4192-A150-9A0FB3EF777A.jpeg

810DD78F-D7B7-4B72-A9D7-BEAC3BF9F14D.jpeg

4EFBC944-799A-4A57-8356-89883748EF18.jpeg

Otherwise its fine and is currently faster than the e39 which currently has a sensor fault (I think) that is cocking up the Vanos variable timing which is making it flat as a pancake, especially when warm. It has variable inlet and exhaust cam timing “twin Vanos” Usually on a cold start it’s pretty punchy but once fully warm it goes to pot. My theory as it has a new genuine maf, is that the sensors regulating one aspect of this is breaking down when hot. I think I’ll need to get a code reader thing. Can anyone recommend one suitable that doesn’t need a laptop?

Funny how less ambitious, less complex engineering has a habit of going wrong less often #940 respekp

2 minutes ago, marm said:

Simple is good.

so which is the favourite?

Probably right now the 940, but if I can make the bmw run properly I think it will be a dead heat. I think they’re different enough attempts to answer a similar question; practical and contrasting. 

The 520's I've had have been absolutely gutless to the point of being dangerous until about 4000 rpm when the v-anos kicks in and they it takes off.

The vans is oil pressure controlled, could that be related to it warming up? The setup can be a bit of prick on these I hope it's not a fault vanos unit.

The Volvo continues to plod on and lurch round corners, the only news is from the dvla.

When purchased the vendor was keen to keep the (valueless IMO) Northern Ireland cover plate. Once that went through and then the keeper change I’ve just got the details of the reg it’s been given.....

477868DE-E37E-4BFE-A063-E7ED8C13ED42.thumb.jpeg.4e37889a128d6a0e8d1c2b28ae4bb523.jpeg

Odd as it’s a clearly cheap “cherished” reg that the car has been given. I assume that is what it used to be on (no documents to hand to verify this) I would normally expect them to hold on to something like this in case mike f Parkinson wants to splash out on a cheap cover plate? Maybe it will turn out to be non transferable and hence essentially valueless?

EE6FA96C-3939-43FE-B7A1-3717F48F0D76.thumb.jpeg.bd52b213a5a2cbcefa70b42fce412db8.jpeg

2AB59A93-4A3B-4E72-A12E-DA8824686C8A.thumb.jpeg.da84ef6005bbb1e3b079bd032719daff.jpeg

Also- purple lacquer peel?