HMC- P38 photographed beside its reputation 💩

HMC

My attempt at living a shite free life has failed. Trawling e bay/ gumtree again etc but I thought I'd put out a wanted ad here. I've been browsing the for sale threads, but is there anything your thinking of moving on and would like to keep in the fold and have a hassle free sale? I'd consider anything but something fundamentally ok with a bit of MOT would be great. There is a bit of a strange condition- unusually I'm free this Wednesday and rarely at all other times- so being able to collect during the day this Wednesday would be perfect.

How about the Moog Vel Satis Matteo? It's not old but it's defo chod, and it would fit perfectly into your burgeoning waftoluxbarge fleet. It comes with the Bucketeer 1,000 mile road test five star seal of approval. I could even deliver it to you.

If that's not luxywaftbarge enough for you, I'll have a sumptuous Citroen AX soon that you can borrow whenever you want to sate any wandering chodlust without splaffing any real life cash money.

How about the Moog Vel Satis Matteo? It's not old but it's defo chod, and it would fit perfectly into your burgeoning waftoluxbarge fleet. It comes with the Bucketeer 1,000 mile road test five star seal of approval. I could even deliver it to you.

If that's not luxywaftbarge enough for you, I'll have a sumptuous Citroen AX soon that you can borrow whenever you want to sate any wandering chodlust without splaffing any real life cash money.

Man makes sense and it definitely wouldnt cost too much :-) 

Would even MOT it for you  

Many thanks for all the offers I have recieved. In the end I decided to turn it into a quest to find the most useful car for the least money with the longest mot. I came to realise a lot of interesting older stuff is simply worth more than the pittance I wanted to pay. The goal posts shift over time and it's interesting to have trawled through the very bottom of the current used car market. I came to the conclusion a ratty petrol mk3 mondeo would fit the bill well enough, and a grotty, battered 1.8 estate in a non colour with 11 months test is what I plumped for....

post-4673-0-46891300-1507623674_thumb.png

post-4673-0-35835600-1507623693_thumb.png

Collection tomorrow!

Slightly surprised at the lack of love for the 2.0TDCi.  A farmer friend (with typically frugal farmer tendencies) has just conceded it's not worth replacing an injector on his, but only after around 300,000 miles of being used as a general purpose hack.  In fact he liked it so much he's replaced with another; same age but much lower mileage and this time in estate flavour rather than hatchback.

Bargain. I know its a cheap old car but as a seller i would at least have chucked two buckets (wrongun) of water over it before the photos.

Just mot check it and it has a clean mot. Failed first at the same garage so it looks to have had some work done. Cant go wrong for the price.

Overall I was pretty happy with this mondeo. It drives really well, but tends to sort of go flat and run out of breath at over 3k revs. On a hunch I decided to remove the intake manifold to see what was left of the swirl flaps.....post-4673-0-27729900-1507880032_thumb.jpgpost-4673-0-95868500-1507880241_thumb.jpgpost-4673-0-55804200-1507880260_thumb.jpgpost-4673-0-99016600-1507880275_thumb.jpg

Hmmm! So the metal rod had broken, 2 flaps broken off and missing in action, one wedged/ melted into an intake port and the final one wedged closed over the intake port inlet! Somehow despite having eaten some of its intake system some while back it was still running. I presume basically having 25% restriction on the intake was the issue of it running out of breath over 3k revs?

what exactly do the swirl flaps do? or supposed to do?

Work chum had issues with one of these a decade ago ish and a chunk of the metal rod ended up in the cylinder and was mashing around.. Fucked the bore up iirc.

I would think no harm would come of removing the lot, fix that split at the bottom of the #4 intake, remove rods and flaps, duct tape over the rod holes or areldite the holes up

prob find that poor running over 3k is down to weak mixture due to holes and splits in intake. 

^^ here ya go :D

what exactly do the swirl flaps do? or supposed to do?

Get this: what they are for is to promote swirl.

What that means is basically the level of turbulence in the mixture as it enters the combustion chamber, the swirlier it is the better mixed it is which is GR12 for emissions.

I presume a man with a big computer does some gas flow analysis and determines the optimum opening size for the inlet to swirl things up a treat (primarily at the points on the emission test cycle lol) and you fit a flap and bingo you pass emissions. 

Generally people do not report any change in power or drivability from ditching them, but around 0.0001 kittens will die per kilometer driven as a result of the increased CO emissions.