HMC- AUTOSHITE 2.0

HMC

• 2 weeks later...

I’m often in 2 minds wether to bother doing certain cosmetic stuff to cars. It may satisfy me but it’s usually a waste of money on certain cars as it doesn’t make it worth anymore if it’s a worthless banger and not a  nailed on classic driven by the heroine in coffee adverts and what have you. It’s never stopped me turd polishing in the past, let’s be honest.

So it is with fiesta. The urge to tinker was strong and the single biggest return on pointless tinkering would be the bonnet.

C994494B-7BCD-4852-BBE1-56B752A88411.thumb.png.fbf96923de17a5ac652af18251bd1b08.png

63106E38-59AD-4B78-98A6-F75AA2823683.thumb.png.54246c2928adc2b6871ac6727719b35d.png

At some stage someone has bought the right paint and laquer and then made a right mess of it. In the past I’ve got nice results on panels using basic colour matched rattle cans but the mess on the bonnet was so uneven it needed quite a bit of messing with. A bit out of my comfort zone. 

So I took the lazy/ and go for a fun drive way out and collected a panel off a scrapper down in a quiet Dorset village and had a nice drive out there and back. 

DD5B958F-5709-4CE1-A6B9-48252B54E325.thumb.jpeg.09b35de54daf145b8c9f8ee4bd3aee1f.jpeg

Pointless but satisfying 

DISCLAIMER: aeroblades not by HMC

49 minutes ago, HMC said:

It may satisfy me but it’s usually a waste of money on certain cars as it doesn’t make it worth anymore if it’s a worthless banger and not a  nailed on classic driven by the heroine in coffee adverts 

I initially read that as "the heroin in coffee adverts" and assumed that you must have access to a much wider range of TV channels than I do...

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report here fleet wise. The fiesta and the a30 are both behaving and all is well. 

Actually not true entirely, the fiesta tended to have a sort of flat spot at higher revs. Fuel starvation? It also happened a bit eratically lower down during warm up. Not a big problem but annoying. I parts darts guessed an out of spec air flow meter, and a £15 second hand item off a low mileage car (so the ad said...) has cured it. I went for a free revving Moorland drive In it earlier to celebrate. Such a sweet little engine this 1.25 lump.

image.jpg

Just filled up the a30 (£not much) and taken it for a spin. Comical low gearing plus 1098cc does mean it’s easy to Potter about town as 4th Can happen from 15mph. I tend to do 2-4 on the flat or 1-3-4 if on a hill to avoid frantic cog swapping and it’s quite torquey so is perfectly happy like that. I suppose they chose the box ratios and final drive in 1951 for a car with almost half its current power output and at the time they tended to under gear most things anyway. 

3D7F5125-3BD9-4390-851C-CBC922CDA09E.thumb.jpeg.b669deee912b8d272047f425bdcca872.jpeg

Ive loads of minors so having one of these has been interesting. I’m not sure what I prefer. These almost look cartoonish and perhaps it’s the colour but Non Car People tend to want to talk to me about it when I stop far more than anything else I’ve owned.

Years ago I had a Lovely facelift 2.0 hdi berlingo. One owner; full length electric roof (very rare on the facelift) and it was lovely in every way.

This one is not lovely. It was bought new in Cornwall and used as a 4 wheeled donkey. It’s a battered  beast of burden; it has only 4 forward gears (5th is AWOL) Although it’s seemingly never strayed from Cornwall (and now only just over the border) it carries with  it the vibe of an elderly Frenchman on his way to market, somewhere far off the beaten track. It was £200, so essentially disposable.

95E5BE97-ABE2-44F9-BCE3-1F117F4158F2.thumb.jpeg.aadfc2ff9cb6d7e119f1efd6f34d1f42.jpeg

054EA083-8A6E-41B6-9230-28188F64EC6D.thumb.jpeg.8f80a3c6d2faee0e6c8fe9d9b24b5103.jpeg

AFC4CC97-15DA-470C-B7C8-3E7F433E5652.thumb.jpeg.22d1c2cc90650fb4a887d1abdd75d078.jpeg

51599B72-D238-43F2-8547-CEDD3901C2FE.thumb.jpeg.f84822d184ddc2159630633f83849e67.jpeg

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Love the ‘desire’ badge. Is the rear number plate trim piece off a different model (or car)?

Looks very grim but very useful. Well bought!

Yes it looks like the original piece was wider, you can make its outline out in the paint. Presume it was lost when the boot was dented and the replacement seems totally different and is the wrong shape. It’s not able hold the number plate lights in well enough to survive the boot closing. PROPER JOB

Yeah 07- i was thinking the same. I think outdoorsy people with no mechanical sympathy have owned and abused it, probably not a shrewd buy if I start trying to improve it (rather than do nothing to it and bin it when it dies.) I wish I could be so disciplined but I can’t help myself when an automotive orphan crops up.

Why did I need a morale boost?

38FB598A-6B1E-4732-80AF-87DEDA4983A5.thumb.jpeg.50ec616409939d9a7331a427ad5a68d0.jpeg

2 utterly ruined front tyres replaced; plus a track rod end.

Also my initial diagnosis from it sounding like a traction engine has proved correct. One injector seal seems to have gone and is chuffing away. Weighing up DIY attempt (apparently no where near the shit show of merc CDI engines) but I’m time poor.

Please link me back to this when I get tempted by the next cheap banger. Ok I could just run it and bin it which is what the more pragmatic of you would do. I have to be pragmatic in my job but I very rarely am with old shite. Presumably in 3 months someone will be able to buy a sorted but battered Berlingo for less than it owes me. C’est la vie

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

If only you had bought an HDi one.....

It is an HDI- the 1.6 - apparently flakier than the 2.0 though. IIRC it’s the basic engine found in thr fiesta TDCI

On 7/24/2020 at 7:10 PM, HMC said:

Why did I need a morale boost?

38FB598A-6B1E-4732-80AF-87DEDA4983A5.thumb.jpeg.50ec616409939d9a7331a427ad5a68d0.jpeg

2 utterly ruined front tyres replaced; plus a track rod end.

Also my initial diagnosis from it sounding like a traction engine has proved correct. One injector seal seems to have gone and is chuffing away. Weighing up DIY attempt (apparently no where near the shit show of merc CDI engines) but I’m time poor.

Please link me back to this when I get tempted by the next cheap banger. Ok I could just run it and bin it which is what the more pragmatic of you would do. I have to be pragmatic in my job but I very rarely am with old shite. Presumably in 3 months someone will be able to buy a sorted but battered Berlingo for less than it owes me. C’est la vie

What you need* is a R8 Diesel Tourer... 

• 2 weeks later...

Soooo the injector is now gas tight thanks to my local PSA place.

The thing is that this 1.6 hdi feels flakey. Uneven when starting and quite smokey at times. Noisy too. It’s not their finest hour apparently this 1.6 unit. Anyway before I write it off I’m hoping a glow plug change sorts the lumpy running when cold. I also decided to dismantle the Electricalky controlled EGR valve - I disassembled it and a spring and a few parts pinged out of it. After cleaning and reassembly it promptly went into limp mode and wouldn’t rev.

I broke my Berlingo! OBD interrogation reveals many many fault codes related to my EGR work. I’ve ordered a new Valeo (oem) replacement. Yes I feel stupid. Hopefully the glow plugs and a new EGR will help. It just feels like it’s going to let go on me this abused berlingo, just a Gut feeling. Watch this space.

F4F6DE72-FD36-4F0F-BA3A-40E582E83381.thumb.jpeg.b860621b9639aee08c80067fe122d1a1.jpeg

Ps please note the 14 inch Nissan (micra?) trim I found in a moorland hedge and promptly fitted. Pushing the boat out.

39 minutes ago, SiC said:

Probably when the bits of gear from the fifth cog floating around, hits the rotating bits in the gearbox?

This. Plus a sub par engineering job on the oil feed to the turbo, no service history and a very hard 13 years of duty. That is the cold reality of true, end of life autoshite; Take your pic.

• 2 weeks later...

This beaten up Berlingo idles so much better following swapping the fuel filter. A few longer runs seem to have made it run better and smoke less. 

I wonder if the rear beam thing is past it. The camber on the wheels is fine but at speed on sharper curves it feels a bit squirmy at the back when the car rolls. I can’t think of a better word- just a little bit disconnected. At speed in a straight line it’s ok - it’s just pushing it into a corner where the body roll builds and it happens.

I wanted to change all the glow plugs- 2 were tricky and eased out carefully but 2 came out Too easily but minus the tips. Somebody’s been here before and snapped them. I just re inserted them.  Also the steering rack is leaking quite badly. plus let’s not forget 5th gear is missing in action. Ive been sooo tempted to bridge it and buy @Eavb ‘S one instead.

Verdict: total HEAP, but a practical one.

427BC2E7-9F00-4187-BEC9-F2681D78F36A.thumb.jpeg.d40955e1578f5f9aa2cc247def7c9723.jpeg

If this has a DPF (dunno) they can do in terms of regenerating it. Having said that I’m saying they don’t- as you say the mot is up mid December and if it gets there I’ll be mildly surprised, let alone actually having another MOT submission