HMC- AUTOSHITE 2.0

HMC

• HMC changed the title to HMC- new - Nissan 300c Uberbarge ARRIVAL

Fantastic! Certainly brings back some memories.

On the late-reg madness thing, I believe there was an E-reg estate. They were even rarer than the saloons, from memory something like 300-350 sold against 800-odd 4-door models.

Interesting to see about the 280C - initially they look similar, but the 300C is just that less square (it's marginal!).

Edit: Looks like the 280C made it to 1996, getting into the peak era for them being banger raced.

57 minutes ago, hairnet said:

i would say @Spottedlaurel would be jealous but hasnt he done these even before they were shite

No. 1, bought for £500 in 1999. Never really seemed to give its full performance.

1986 Nissan 300C estate (Y30)

No. 2, swapped a couple of Laurels with Datman for it. Pair of black doors came from a banger I stripped for somebody, he had the dented white ones for his racer.

1986 Nissan 300C 4dr (Y30)

No. 3, part-exchanged No. 2 and some cash for it.

1986 Nissan 300C C946 REG (c.2002)

I probably spent more on the last one in total, as it needed a full exhaust within days of getting it, but I was fondest of the second one.

Fun fact: The auto-only saloons are something like 155bhp, the manual-only estates get by on just 150bhp.

Although the charging system on the bluebird isn’t charging properly, it rescued the Cedric when it discharged its battery overnight, this morning….

82A03604-AC7C-4C3C-8348-C3195A1ABD91.thumb.jpeg.3c5de31dd4a137214d01d4ad22869cdb.jpeg

So that’s something to investigate on the 300c. Other than that it all works  spot on and is pleasingly free of rot.

The bluebird itself doesn’t have a battery drain, but it was only showing about 12.9v across the poles of the battery at idle.  Daily, daily short potterings were hammering the battery.

I bought a replacement alternator off e bay one  of those ads where it’s a generic photo but it says it will fit. I wasn’t fully convinced of their convictions but actually the correct item turned up. I spent part of today putting the new one on, nice easy job with plenty of space, the main issue being loosening the bolt to swap the pulley over. And my crummy selection of tools.

Back together and fired it up, it’s now showing 14.8 volts across the poles when running. Glad it’s sorted as winter and my typical local driving habits were making me get twitchy. No longer do I need to keep the engine running/ park on a hill just in case.

Anyway, I celebrated by going for a drive over a moody moorland B road….

571592EE-8B3E-41A7-9FC2-60E7ED3C09AA.thumb.jpeg.bd69bea59daa23311dcd369486b103fc.jpeg

• HMC changed the title to HMC- new - Bluebird/ Cedric- nuts and volts
On 11/11/2022 at 5:48 PM, HMC said:

Actually quite nicely. The engine is quite Spritely and sounds throaty. 

I breifly passed by a loca holstery to capture the early 90s pub landlord vibe

0B71FBCF-7D0B-4305-BAC0-B6F6DA4E2614.jpeg

Aah, the Union. Is it still winner stays on for the pool table?

• 2 weeks later...
  • HMC changed the title to HMC- new - Another lemon Nissan v6 (but what?)
2 minutes ago, HMC said:

Well the bluebird sold on eBay for £1500 and is due to be collected soon.

Meanwhile I’ve bought another lemon Nissan v6 that similarly missed its intended market somewhat. Any guesses? It’s being delivered as I type (local Facebook find)

Was going to guess a QX.

But to be weird, will say it's a Jap market Cefiro version instead.

58 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Mental fuel consumption too.  And a CVT gearbox prone to shitting itself.  The perfect* car for a cost of living crisis - well bought.

It’s also done 172k. We will see how long it lasts. So far it seems well looked after, even the aircon works nicely, and it’s not been trashed.  CVT box is interesting. It was about half what they go for normally so I’m expecting an implosion at some stage. Fingers crossed.

It’s quick but sinfully ugly though.