HMC- AUTOSHITE 2.0

HMC

This was repeated on the Visa.

The CX had a similar setup, but the bathroom scales speedo and rev counter were only on the Series 1 cars from 1974 to 1985. My CX is a 1988 Series 2, so I have the same fingertip controls but conventional dials. Those dials include an electric dipstick gauge which tells you the oil level in the sump - quite accurate.

The horn and headlight dip buttons also swapped sides from Series 1 to Series 2, which confused the shit out of me when I had both at the same time (doesn't take much).

My Visa (B reg) had boring old 205 stalks though.  Boo.

The horn and headlight dip buttons also swapped sides from Series 1 to Series 2, which confused the shit out of me when I had both at the same time (doesn't take much).....

It gets weirder still.

In 1988 or so, Citroën modified the sidelight and headlamp illumination, so if you flicked the sidelights on (position 1), it also made the headlamps glow dimly, Lucas Prince of Darkness style. My CX still does this!!

Given that the GS/GSAs were only designed for 98mph tops, I wonder what she was running hers on?

See, that's exactly what some people here are trying to explain.

On the Continent, the very first thing people do with a new car is to test how much faster than the manufacturer's claimed top speed it will go,

then drive it at that speed most of the time. Not like in England, where people go out of their ways to make any given journey last as long as possible

by dawdling around like old gout rags. Consequently used cars behave completely differently here and there.

It gets weirder still.

In 1988 or so, Citroën modified the sidelight and headlamp illumination, so if you flicked the sidelights on (position 1), it also made the headlamps glow dimly, Lucas Prince of Darkness style. My CX still does this!!

That was a British requirement from 1987 until about 1992 I think. All cars had to have it. Called dim dip. Idea was you could then safely drive around town on sidelights. Tries this in a BX and some sod pulled straight out in front of me, forcing me to do a four-wheel lock up, so decided to stick with full headlamps after that.

Early UK MK1 MX5s did that too. If you put the sidelights on, it would (annoyingly) pop up the main headlights too and have them lit dimly. There was a relay you disconnected to disable it on them. I found said relay from our MX5 only just the other day.

That was a British requirement from 1987 until about 1992 I think. All cars had to have it. Called dim dip. Idea was you could then safely drive around town on sidelights. ....

I found a mention of it in the Haynes Book of Lies. It says that was a requirement in France but didn't mention a similar requirement in Britain.

It just looks a bit like the headlamps were short-circuited.

Well, it sounds pretty French to me.

Usually you either needed external sidelights, or sidelights integrated in the headlights, but not both.

However, France and Spain are the only countries I know (note: maybe there are more, but they are only ones I know)

where driving with sidelights ONLY was mandatory in built up areas. Driving with as much as dipped beam there was

a punishable offence. Granted, this wasn't as strictly enforced in .fr as it was in Spain.

I assume that nonsense was abandoned in France in 1987 and thus the sidelights integrated in the headlights in addition

to the external sidelights became a thing until even the giffers and bumpkins got used to using their dipped beams in town.

I wonder what this looks like on a 1987 - 1992 French car with yellow headlight lenses, though.

See, that's exactly what some people here are trying to explain.

On the Continent, the very first thing people do with a new car is to test how much faster than the manufacturer's claimed top speed it will go,

then drive it at that speed most of the time. Not like in England, where people go out of their ways to make any given journey last as long as possible

by dawdling around like old gout rags. Consequently used cars behave completely differently here and there.

Absolutely. And since this is a GSa fred, Mr Setright noted how traditional Citroëns often felt to have no top speed, they'd just carry on going faster, such was their combination of low friction and (to Anglo-world tastes) low power.

And in the case of the GSa, an engine which didn't get louder the faster it revved (and boy, could it rev). In a world where engines got hugely louder and much rougher at speed, this characteristic appeared to be an engine which seemed to vanish beyond 90mph. Which is probably why any G I've ever driven has given poor economy - floating over Shap at speeds white-faced XR3i drivers tried to beat, but never could.

While some boys sold their sisters to buy these rough-engined, bad-handling cars, I could do a week's holiday work and buy another GSa and have enough change to fill its tank or buy a pair of Michelins. They were the ultimate definition of shitecar with deeply negative cred, but in reality all they lacked was cheap thrills acceleration. You only ever slowed down when absolutely necessary.

France and Spain are the only countries I know (note: maybe there are more, but they are only ones I know)

where driving with sidelights ONLY was mandatory in built up areas. Driving with as much as dipped beam there was

a punishable offence. Granted, this wasn't as strictly enforced in .fr as it was in Spain.

I've travelled in North Africa where they ran French lighting rules, I think there was also the requirement to flash the headlights as you approached a junction. On lit streets where there are as many donkeys and people making their way as motor vehicles, it made sense. Hence the lighting controls (O)ff, (V)ille and ®oute which remained in some Froggy cars through into the 80s.

Is flashing ones lights to indicate giving way still an entirely British thing? Elsewhere it generally means the opposite, a recipe for much confusion and gesticulation where the two cultures meet, unaware of their differences.

I had a 1299cc GSA approx 30 yrs ago ...

PGL155Y,It was an unusual metallic purple colour.

Great car,turbine smooth engine that would easily wind up to an indicated ton on the motorway and it wasn't flat out!

I'd love another at some point.

It was years ahead of the game, just a shame they couldn't really endure the British climate.

I'm late to the party on this one, but really enjoyed reading about the LDV van.

My dad used to look after a small fleet of these for the Red Cross, ex-LAS ambulances that had been sold to them second-hand.  He absolutely loved them and will still grin when he's talking about them.

I don't think you can go fast enough in London for the handling to be an issue, it's all about hard acceleration off the line and they could certainly manage that.

I sat in one and started it up once.  Weird experience.  You walk towards a van, get in, look down and you're in an Austin Metro.  Then you turn the key and suddenly the soundtrack says Rover 3500 (with matching gearbox, not that I ever got to drive one).

Top buying on the GSA, always really liked those and I've had a couple but probably wouldn't go back unless I had a dry garage and the money to run it as a "classic" - they're just too fragile to be useful.

Cassis Nacre, I think that might have been. Not quite purple, not quite burgundy.

Ive just checked the DVLA website and they have a record of it!

It was taxed up until November 1989 which is when I gave it to my Dad who then parked it on my Nans drive for a couple of years until sadly he scrapped it.

The logbook says it was grey in colour but it was definitely a metallic purple, but the paintwork was as flat as a pancake so I'm guessing it had had a non standard colour poor quality respray....

The things you learn about a car you owned nearly 30 years later.