HMC- AUTOSHITE 2.0

HMC

• HMC changed the title to HMC- Big benz beached

It failed pretty regularly on emissions in the past, however always made it through in the end, which means there might be an easy solution.

The rest can be handled very easily, not sure what suspension rod is supposed to be on the lower rear suspension though, other than another drop link maybe?

Does it still have the original cats fitted? And if so is there anything inside them🙈

LPG cars usually have super low emissions in my experience, hopefully this can be coaxed through.

That doesn't look too bad at all. What looks like a fairly long list can be be boiled down to a set of brake pads (cleaning up around the rear whilst doing the pads should fix the service brake), a dust cover, a mystery rear suspension component (I don't think any of my cars have one of those) and some messing with the emmisions. 

To buy an S Class sight unseen off the internet from yo drift wide boy slammers with a short MOT sounds like a recipe for disaster. So that MOT looks like a win to me. 

25 minutes ago, sierraman said:

A shagged out black leather jacket and some really strong continental high tar cigarettes 

Ah, life before children, when I still had (most of) my hair.

I like to think I still manage to appear fairly dodgy though. Maybe this would suit me as a tip run beast when HMC gets bored. I imagine the boot is fairly huge.

DOY news.

The fuel gauge has never worked. Something else the vendor didnt say, besides it being salvaged.

Anyway its extra confusing as the lpg kicks in and so simply looking at miles  covered on the trip meter on the tank isnt an option. Plus I didnt fancy driving to shitefest like this and ending up stranded somewhere.

So. I figured the sender in the tank had power. Then to e bay. This part varies between w140 models and is not easy to get hold of; which went some way to explaining the daft prices asked. No thanks.

I rang the local MB dealer who confirmed the part number, and the fact that its no longer available. I think this is the first time ever in tinkering and fettling over 50 mercs that this has happened; and explains the silly prices. Usually MB are solid when it comes to supplying older model parts. Maybe a sign that they don't rate the w140.

In the end i bit the bullet on e bay as this is my only car and needs to be fully functional.

The next step was removing the nut that secures the unit in the tank and seals the tank. The nut is ally, and the tank steel. I presume there was some electrolytic corrosion going on as it defeated all attempts. the nut is something like 45mm. I lost my shit a bit with it half lying down in the boot, adjustable wrench on the nut and it would slide off and id bash my hand on the tank. In the end I bought something old school from screwfix which sorted it, and will be a useful tool in the future.

IMG_3065.thumb.jpeg.36e60ccfb929adaaad6106c8368cce5e.jpeg

IMG_3066.thumb.jpeg.80243b16ddc41a250c046248a6780b8a.jpeg

And put it back together

IMG_3064.thumb.jpeg.0663f225a38888d217e4492bd2d1739e.jpeg

The bashed up edges tell a story, but in the end it was satisfying to sort.

And now i can see how much fuel the 2.8 is using as it struggles to move this big beast.

IMG_3053.thumb.jpeg.7b5000de2b9eb8e89797b22b269e8c59.jpeg

• HMC changed the title to HMC- Big benz fixed with loss of blood

I ended up with HMC's Focus Ghia. Rave actually bought it to spin for a profit, got it back here to the London area, then decided he wanted to have a crack at my airlocking / overheating Rover 75, so we did a swap about three weeks ago. All I wanted was something compliant and would get me to work without any fuss, which it did until Tuesday this week when the battery snuffed it. Due to various reasons, it wasn't until Friday when I was able to fit a nice new Bosch battery to it.

What have I done to it, apart from the battery? It came with a new set of plugs, so I fitted those. You could have measured the gaps on the the old plugs in yards, rather than mm's. Cleaned the thing up a bit, lipstick on a pig, but it satisfied me. At some point, it seems to have sat for ages somewhere. There was moss on the wiper blades which had gone rock hard, got all that off and the blades are doing what they should now. The rear wiper arm, which is broken, but still does the job ok, was also moss encrusted.

I've bought all the stuff to do a thermostat replacement, but don't fancy the job myself, so I'm going to put it into a local mot / repair shop to have it done. Bought everything needed for an oil change, so that'll be done sooner rather than later. Other than that, not done much at all really. As said in the ad, the clutch bites high on the pedal, but doesn't slip, so that's good to go.

What I really want is a nearside rear door in Tonic blue,  I'm sure that's what the colour is. Also need a complete driver's door mirror, and a good radio antenna. Anyone who has these parts laying around, please feel free to pm me, rather than clutter up HMC's thread. 

I'd really like to know a bit about the Focus before it came into your possession HMC, If I'm correct and it did stand for a while before you bought it, it'd would be interesting to know why someone gave up on it, because it's not a bad little bus really.

14 hours ago, HMC said:

screwfix

Is there a Screwfix in Tavi now @HMC ? God I love Screwfix. Popped into ours a few times now for our house move, and they've always had the right tool for the job. Most times I don't even know what the right tool is, but I explain the situation and they helpfully recommend the right thing.

And they're pretty much always open. 

31 minutes ago, grogee said:

Is there a Screwfix in Tavi now @HMC ? God I love Screwfix. Popped into ours a few times now for our house move, and they've always had the right tool for the job. Most times I don't even know what the right tool is, but I explain the situation and they helpfully recommend the right thing.

And they're pretty much always open. 

Yes its on that little car park area beside morrisons , beside what used to be radmores ford dealers (now a small housing estate)

13 hours ago, Tetleysmooth said:

What I really want is a nearside rear door in Tonic blue,

Probably already looked but I've had luck with various ex-vehicles, both mine and the kids, down Ferry Lane. Sourced a couple of bits for Outlaw_Junior's Focus down there fairly recently. Buggered if I can remember the name of the yard though, soz.

9 minutes ago, outlaw118 said:

Probably already looked but I've had luck with various ex-vehicles, both mine and the kids, down Ferry Lane. Sourced a couple of bits for Outlaw_Junior's Focus down there fairly recently. Buggered if I can remember the name of the yard though, soz.

I didn't know there were still breakers yards in Ferry Lane. I know you can't remember the name of the yard, but can you remember where it is?

• 3 weeks later...

DOY news- is that there is no news. Its big, not that quick, but it is reliable. I dont do loads of miles so i havent filled it up for ages. With the 60L lpg tank on top the range is reasonable, i havent bothered to check the MPG; not great not terrible is my verdict.

IMG_3258.thumb.jpeg.b2228968cb897a0e1c27ec8e2345b23e.jpeg

RHD/ kmh / l/100km- legacy of being ordered in singapore. I still dont understand if it was shipped there, or if an embassy car could come direct to the uk from germany, having been ordered in singapore, and be on diplomatic plates, and then officially be “imported” on uk plates 5 years after it was new.  Thanks to GDPR and the v888 riddle ill never know. Maybe one for @LightBulbFun ?

For the performance level its probably quite thirsty but i just cruise around in it so the economy nor performance are of any concern. Plus it remains my only car and i need it to be a bit daft or i will get bored quicker. Im loving the tired cosmetics and the carefree mindset it offers.

IMG_3253.thumb.jpeg.07f7925346a8cfc03da37645b90bf1f1.jpeg

IMG_3252.thumb.jpeg.672436a76b3d24913e18c715d341a9e0.jpeg

IMG_3254.thumb.jpeg.2c654cbc60c0c1fd562e5dac925b4638.jpeg

IMG_3255.thumb.jpeg.95b48d0f82aca9e43da84a5e257263bc.jpeg

The climate control still isnt quite right; i solved the heating/ cooling thing (with a replacement duovalve) and changed the fan resistor- but it still randomly changes fan speed even in fully manual mode.

IMG_3251.thumb.jpeg.7b0f6bce41097a3678ee4d7edbfc89df.jpeg

Cool? It depends.

On the subject of keeping cool and disobedient fans the viscous engine fan has never worked- even when properly hot it just spins passively. It has never overheated- presumably the margins built into the rad are generous enough but I’ll probably sort it myself before shitefest as id like to avoid a mushroom cloud on the way up in rural mid-Wales.

IMG_3242.thumb.jpeg.20a3394f2711ce1fc546519d0675a96a.jpeg

IMG_3256.thumb.jpeg.ff667e61e54de14dcf7d1b5a538d0279.jpeg

• HMC changed the title to HMC- Big benz: not great not terrible