Bramz fleet. The ever changing procession of mediocrity. Disaster time....

bramz7

Those do sound nice. Succeeded by the "high value" v6, which was 3/4 of a Rover V8.

Gotta love GM.

Is that right though?  Buick 215/Rover V8 and the Fireball V6 developed from it were 90°

This GM V6 X-engine and the developed from it HV V6 were 60°

Either way it's the firing order on the lot that make them sound so meaty and far away from European efforts

ANOTHER reason to import a Pontac Aztek and paint it in AS colours.

I need to play catch up

So the AS fold has THREE Oldmobiles on the inventory, yes?

1) The ex-Wuvvum/PurpleBargeKen and now with BobTheBeard (still?) '91 Cutlass Sedan

2) Drum's '81 Delta 88 diesel

3) this '89 Cutlass Coupe of supremacy

Not forgetting the '50 Rocket 88 Coupe that Colc had for a bit this year.

I need to play catch up

So the AS fold has THREE Oldmobiles on the inventory, yes?

1) The ex-Wuvvum/PurpleBargeKen and now with BobTheBeard (still?) '91 Cutlass Sedan

2) Drum's '81 Delta 88 diesel

3) this '89 Cutlass Coupe of supremacy

Not forgetting the '50 Rocket 88 Coupe that Colc had for a bit this year.

Autoshite

Section 5 - Big Shite

Subsection 5.1 - Yank Tank

Subsubsection 5.1.4 - Oldsmobile

'91 Cutlass Sedan

'89 Cutlass Coupe

'81 Delta 88

See also Section 9 - Wrong Hand Drive

And Section 14 - Waft barge

Caliper pistons don't exactly wear as such, but what happens is the hard chrome surface flakes off and corrosion sets in. That's what has happened here, that corrosion causing it to jam.

Bigg Red will do a repair kit and piston(s) for it, easy enough to rebuild if you can get the old piston(s) out.

Couple of bits of news today:

C5 demolished 280 miles of driving today in less than half a tank, with two dubious front tyres. Not bad at all. Not the best seats for long distance stuff but not crippling. 

A bit of a whine picked up in neutral and first when revved though. Not a vast worry as I don't plan on spending anything on it, other than replacement tyres.

605 is still parked at work, whoops.

The Oldsmobile now won't start! I think the battery just doesn't have enough in it to get it turning properly, so there is no doubt a drain somewhere. Hopefully at least...that's the easiest diagnosis for non starting. 

Okay. The Olds is being a cranky old bastard and won't start.

Battery voltage is ok. I hooked it up to the C5 for like 10 mins and it still didn't fire. Turns fine, I can smell fuel and the drive belt is intact. 

I am assuming something has clagged up the spark plugs, as it does run pretty rich, and I have a feeling the engine is overfueling.

BAHHHHHH.

The plugs aren't obviously placed, so I suspect what with it being FWD and transversely laid out, the front three are easy and the other three will require knuckle scraping on whatever the bulkhead has attached to it. 

Or am I missing something obvious?

Try cranking it over full throttle for a while, that'll cut the injectors. It may have just flooded itself.

These so seem prone to running rich, the sensors are getting on in age a bit. Positive side is they are cheap and fairly readily available here, and likely shared with Opel/Vauxhall of the same era.

It might keep a table in memory, if that was lost by changing the battery then it might be working on the actual sensor values- eg overfueling hugely because it "thinks" it's Arctic temperatures outside. Are these OBD2 or still the old GM diagnostics system?

Phil

I have noticed that the trip computer has also reset itself...I haven't touched the battery at all recently. I know the previous owner replaced it but it started fine at his, and then fine again when I got back in it an hour and a half after getting home. 

Pretty sure this is a base Cutlass so has nothing in the way of any fancy bits on it, it doesn't even have central locking FFS. Interestingly a trip computer reset usually means a duff battery in other cars, so I will try slinging one on and seeing if that makes a difference...

On a scale of one to ten, how much worse has it just got?

the bonnet release cable has snapped.

I managed to get underneath and wiggle something to get it to pop open, which helped, but the battery is so infuriatingly obstructed by everything. 

This car is the beginning of something incredibly painful isn't it?

Battery swapped with something else, still nothing. Spark plugs behind engine mount. Fuelling like no tomorrow when turning, no spark or something. Kicked the front wing in anger and shit loads of (presumably inner wing) rot fell out. Looks like there is mayo on the coolant cap, or at least brown sediment floating in it. Radiator looks shot to shit too.

Well, this was a fucking dumb purchase and I should have not got the train like i had a gut feeling to.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283111328408

Anyone wanna offer me £175 for it and you can have it. I am sick of broken crap outside my house, I need it gone within a week so I can get the insurance money back too.