Bramz fleet. The ever changing procession of mediocrity. Disaster time....

bramz7

No I last ran it about 5 miles the other night, and that was it. I have tried starting it with the pedal to the floor and nothing. It doesn't even try to catch. 

All much of a muchness now anyway, it's clearly very rotten and has been very neglected. 

My last caddy Fleetwood would not start unless you pressed the throttle about 3 times, that some how engaged the cold start. I picked car up from guys house drove home and next morning it wouldn't start, tried all sorts, rang guy and he said, oh ye forgot to tell you about the cold start procedure. Mine was injection but a weird setup. Try that

My last caddy Fleetwood would not start unless you pressed the throttle about 3 times, that some how engaged the cold start. I picked car up from guys house drove home and next morning it wouldn't start, tried all sorts, rang guy and he said, oh ye forgot to tell you about the cold start procedure. Mine was injection but a weird setup. Try that

Definitely worth giving the PO a bell (in a non accusing way) and ask “is there a magical sequence to starting her”?

Some of this old stuff can be quite idiosyncratic.

I've sent the previous owner a message but I got the feeling they never really used it.

It's a bit of a shame. I have made enquiries about another V6 auto to replace this as I have discovered a lust for big old barges, but this really did have my heart in it. Not much chance of getting anything American for so little again really. I did browse the usual sites but it's all pickups and Mustangs.

If I wasn't both ill and 350 miles away I'd be all over this Sam, as I'm sure you know.  Please don't just give up already!  It'll scratch your V6-auto itch like little else if you can get it up and running.  Trust me, I know, I've had similar Yanks.  I've also had V6-autos from other origins, and there's no comparison.

It could be dollywobblers dacia all over again and the plugs so sooted up it not firing? Don’t know but worth a try and we could clean them up. I have some plugs here (new ones) don’t know if they’d fit though....

Your call but I would be kicking myself for you if this was something simple....welding no problem if it were mobile I’ve got a good guy for that and I’ve always got the truck..... I also have a few people of whom I’m adamant would get this going (taken me years to find these people).....

Get it running

Sort the rot

CRUISE....

Come on man! Believe in the oldy....if it were running you’d be all over it again like me and a cheap suit ;)

Better a 3 litre as well - I think you'd be disappointed by a 2.5.

Shame about the Olds - I'm with the others who reckon you should give it a bit more time, but it's your call obvs.  The bonnet release on my one had broken as well so must be a common thing on them.

I've heard bad things about the Sportronic box

You haven't.  It's a generic 'bought-in' gearbox. You'd get one of those in a Volvo.

Either way (2.5, 3.0 or whatever), Sportronic is Aisin (ex-Toyota) and not the Silly Speed you're thinking of

Oldsmobile gone. Thank god. I essentially should never have listed it on eBay, both the highest and second highest bidders pulled out.

I sold it via Facebook to a banger racer. Good.

Citroen C5 also gone. 

Now I have acquired this slice:

43558353614_f520f83cf4_b.jpgreceived_1027028917457986 by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

43558353724_2e9fe1c473_b.jpgreceived_1032303486943998 by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

So this isn't my first German, but it is my first BMW. I have driven a couple beforehand, an E46 M3 and an F30 330xd, both owned by a friend. 

It's really nice to sit in and drive. I understand the BMW hype now, it feels pretty assured and very solid. The handling is pretty planted and steady, but I tend to try not to find a cars breaking point this early in. There is no untoward noises in it either. The brakes aren't great, but I was advised the discs aren't in top shape. It stops in a safe distance, nonetheless. It does make me wonder the obsession with fucking about with them though with dropping the suspension and turning it into a drift slag, when the base car is this good. 

Maybe I should just use French vintage as hobby stuff and stick with a mechanical German as a daily? E36 prices remain reasonably low from a brief glimpse at current adverts, but you can see certain colours/specs/engines/trims starting to demand a premium, and now I have been treated to leather I am not sure I'd be happy with cloth.

I am still really miffed about the 605 damage. I notice I dented the top of the sill and the wheel arch too, so I made a right meal of it essentially. The damage suggests I turned in as a scraped the pillar (yeah sounds about right) and the door won't open from the outside now. Oddly it will open from the inside, perhaps I have damaged the handle mechanism?!

I may be attempting an XM purchase shortly too. I know they are big, scary and full of LHM and electrical issues, but I don't aim on buying a cheap one. 

If that does come off, the R11 will be for sale. Any interested parties, lemme know. It's a top car, but the 3 speed auto leaves me a bit cold.

Well a week of E36 ownership and I've not stuffed it, lowered it or drifted it, either intentionally or not.

It's a good hack and sounds nice too.

Bit bumpy over the rough stuff but it's done 199k...

Also I won an Alfa 156 on eBay today. With red leather and a 2.5 V6. It went very cheap though, so I doubt I'll actually end up getting it.

Currently hatching a plan to save an early (well kind of early) XM Prestige from the scrapper, as the fed up owner has had the water pump fail. It hasn't cooked the engine or anything, just won't hold water. He wants £notmuch for it,  and it's far, far less than I budgeted for an XM, and a hell of a lot closer too. 

It's done something like 65k as well, so barely run in. I did really want a diesel but a full leather equipped one is fine. I suspect it will need a smidge of welding too as it's an XM...but it's all been budgeted for, and maybe spending money on a car will make me keep it.