NOW SOLD 96 MGF - Cash or Swap?

Urban_Paranoia

So...the Puma has sold (and - due to a very unexpected cash injection - has been replaced by a rather tasty 2002 Rover 75 Tourer) and the MGF remains.

C0mwVgF.jpg

MOT'd (next Summer), drives well, few small jobs needed. Very presentable. More details/specifics if required.

Notional value - approx. £400-ish.

Cash is always good, or (if there are any musos on here, swap/trade for something guitar/amp/keyboard-related).

NB. May also be tempted by something automotive and impractical. Happy to add cash if required.

NOW SOLD

Everyone needs to own a Vel Satis just to say that they had one. I would like to try one. Swap for a Rover 75 in 1.8 flavour? Automatic with one rusty rear wheel arch but massive history file. Previous owner owned it from 2002.

I have one too many Rover 75's .

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been to see this car and it's a cracker for the money. It wasn't for me (I realised I just want another mk1 mx5) but will be a great car for someone, The OP is very genuine and honest with his description of the car and I would more than happily buy a car from him. I hope this finds a home on here soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

A quick report on this magnificent machine :)

Been driving it around since January, top down whenever it's not raining, it's brilliant. Maintenance wise it's had all the usual stuff - oil, filters, discs and pads all round - but hasn't asked for much else. The clutch inexplicably went flat once, and I popped the gear linkages off trying to get it into gear/off the road... easily bled though (it's clearly had a new slave cylinder recently) and it hasn't happened since. It's had one FTP when I suspect water got into the fuel pump relay - it was raining biblically overnight and it wouldn't start in the morning. By that afternoon it was back to normal.

I've fitted it with a 52mm alloy throttle body and a Vader induction kit, which I reckon has made it quite a bit faster. I've been running around on my R888s for a couple of weeks and the grip is ridiculous.

I've also changed the alloys for some later 6 spoke ones.

I have never cleaned it and it still has no carpets because #racecar.

Was getting hot yesterday (hotter than usual, that is). Up to almost the red on the temp gauge in standing traffic, but dropped back to halfway when moving.

Today - even hotter and not dropping back down when moving. Then went over the top of the red. Then expansion tank cap went pffffffffft, engine sounded horrible for a few seconds, steam from engine bay...

It got me to the van hire place this morning, and I've left it in a fortuitous 24hr free car park. Will go back for it on Saturday and see what's what. Not worth fixing if it is HGF, I think. Cheaper to get another one ;)

Update.

Not HGF. Hurrah! Coolant leak which caused it to get hot. Filled it up with coolant and drove it home, temp gauge stayed on half all the way, even in traffic. Got home, spotted drip from the middle somewhere. Will investigate further.