Tractor shite

bigstraight6

• 8 years later...

post-7547-0-41349000-1502632233_thumb.jpg

I visited a proper used machinery dealer in South Lincs this morning. I'm looking for a small cutterbar to lash up a hedge-trimmer that I can attach to the lawn mowing tractor. I'm fed up with the stink when cutting the hedge with a domestic petrol hand held one.

I purchased this electric side knife which was from a combine harvester.

post-7547-0-81899500-1502632656_thumb.jpg

It looks to be driven by the wiper motor from a coach, and I was sceptical as to whether it would have enough power. On connected a battery and seeing how it chomps through sticks I have to say you'd be ill advised to dangle your cock anywhere near it. Should be OK then.

Sorry to hijack the thread but i wanted some tractor advise.

Assume i know nothing having moved from a town to the country and now having 2 fields the small one around an acre and the larger one around 4 acres.

I need a tractor to look after them and fancy something old and shite like a grey Fergie.

What i need to know is what tractors would be suitable on my limited budget and what accesories i would need to cut the fields. The small field is kept low at about 6-8 inches before needing cutting and we have done this with a ride on mower but it takes a while and i suspect is a bit much for the mower.

The larger field is left to grow to around 3 foot and only needs cutting a couple of times a year, this has been done by a local farmer in the past but doing it myself is angood excuse to buy a tractor.

All i know in my limited knowledge is i would need a tactor with a pto to drive the accesories, but will any accessory fit any pto and do i need other bits to fasten things on. Also the only accessory i know about is a topper, will this cut grass 3 foot high or will i need something else.

Do NOT buy a Fergy and expect it to work a topper it won't be successful, the pto wasn't designed to run those type of attachments and it's directly linked to engine revs meaning to get the pto rpms up you are going to be running flat out against the gouvernor (spelt wrong sorry) which will mean going forwards too fast in 1st gear.

Most Fergies don't have a hi lo box either so there's really no getting round it.

The mower they were designed to run is a finger mower which looks like a more deadly version of the one above and will give an absolutely lovely cut for making hay but slowly.

Your best value for money option would be a 60s or 70s Leyland or Zetor. They aren't collectible so prices are sensible and if they will start from cold they should do what you want with the minimum of fuss.

Great advice everybody, at least i know a te20 isnt upto the job so dont have to look at those anymore.

I have had it cut and baled by a local guy before and he got 30 large bales, the downside for me was the amount of damage to the land. My entrance lawn is full of tractor tyre marks which i have spent much time this year getting it to look good and now its a mess, some tree branches needed to be removed for access which is fine but they were hacked and left hanging half cut on the tree or thrown around for me to clear up and parts,of the fields are churned up and will probably be a muddy mess now for some time.

It has taken me 2 days to clear up and flatten the worst of the ruts so I thought I would just sort it out myself as everytime i get somebody else to do a job it only ends up being more work for me.

Big bales don't help - they're not far off a ton each depending on how tight they are and how dry.

Small bales you can sell straight off the field, expect people to turn up with horse boxes or 7.5t wagons.

Shouldn't make as much mess although if the access is across the lawn then that's never going to be good. Is there an alternative enterance you could make usable?

Ooh i like that are they expensive

They're cheap compared to equivalent Fords and Massey Ferguson's.

My 996 has 64hp, two speed pto with independent pto clutch, power steering, selectamatic hydraulics (which apparently knocked the competition into a cocked hat in the late 60's and 70's).

Came with the loader for £2k.

Good advice above, with just a 5' 3 rotor mower behind my Grey Ferguson struggled. The lack of live PTO meant an overrun clutch was needed too. Ive seen international 414 , 276 and 434s go for little money and they are pleasant to use. Indirect injection though, so heater plugs need to be working. There are several 6' toppers at the dealer in my earlier post and they're not the nasty cheapo ones. Tractors tend to last longer in my part of the world as the soil is light and they dont usually spent their days submerged in cow shit.

Looks like I was beaten with International info; B250 a nice thing with simpler hydraulics, 5 gears, but, I think, no live PTO.

As mentioned earlier, the little blue Leyland thing belonging to my neighbour is a 154 apparently...everything is in good working order and he's looking for £2800. No idea if it's overpriced, about right or a billy bargain but he is a genuine type and it does appear to be in good condition?

post-17519-0-22733700-1502810066_thumb.jpg

post-17519-0-40736800-1502810077_thumb.jpg

That's well smart. I'd say worth it. They are really shit starters even when in good condition so the battery/glowers/compression need to be tip top. 

Personally I wouldn't even consider a MF or David Brown when you could buy an International B250/B275, I do like Fordson Dextas though. 

Just been to look at this MF with my mate next door who's after something bigger than his Leyland....talk about one extreme to the other. It was a 698 4wd and was absolutely bloody massive!!

It seemed fairly straight but had been heavily tarted up for sale with silver overspray everywhere etc. I'd far sooner see a slightly grubby one that displays its battle scars proudly.

Anyway, the consensus is that one was a little too big so the search continues, ideally for a mid-size Ford apparently, if anyone's got one residing in their barn. If they're up for a deal with a tidy little Leyland, even better...

Do any of you Tractor pervs know how easy it will be to retain the number plate on this??

It's a Kendall 3 wheeler made in Grantham, Lincolnshire. The number is a 1947 issue, so ties in with the period they were built and DO is a South Lincolnshire identifier.

There is no V5 that I am aware of and the number isn't coming up on any online checks that I know of...

It would be a shame to lose it...

Very poor picture...

post-47-0-65619300-1503046486_thumb.jpg