The "That looks a bit odd" Thread

UltraWomble

Looks an early dash with later steering wheel inside. I didnt think you could get a 4x4 as early as that though

It's got 92 spec cable operated inner door handles and 92 spec door cards with the bigger arm rest/pull handles but it could have had replacement doors from a later sierra as they do like rotting

back in the day it was fairly easy to upgrade your crashed car into the next years model , imagine that sierra was crashed and fixed with the later parts from a scrap car and some pattern part wings to make it look newer

done the same with golfs before...big bumpers bolt straight on and make look a few years newer

Actually back in the day I used to see loads of MK1 Fiestas with the later "sculpted" tailgate instead of the original flat one.

Upon reflection, that Sierra does appear all wrong.

While not an expert I'm not sure its that straightforward a job to bosh a mk2 Sierra front end onto a mk1, no doubt it can be done but inner wings are probably a different shape and then theres how the front panel is mounted. Certainly for those reasons its not an easy job swapping front end panel work from mk1 to mk2 Fiesta and vice versa.

However I did read about a mk1 XR4i being fitted with the later front end, this would have been a mid nineties Fast Ford magazine or suchlike. Think the owner did the rear panel too. That definitely looked not right.

It appears to still be on leaf springs so new doors, some interior tidying and a different grill and bonnet (the old 2a front could still be underneath there).

mph1977, on 29 Sept 2017 - 1:53 PM, said:mph1977, on 29 Sept 2017 - 1:53 PM, said:

however 

narrow track axles  ( no  eyebrows on the wheel arches 

split screen and split screen bulkhead 

and is that  leaf sprung front axle i can see 

one in one out hinges look  odd  , but arguably it;s a  series with  one piece doors and a  Stage 1/  coil sprung ' front clip' ( to use the yankee argot)

Yep, I mentioned the leaf spring U bolts & bottom plate on the previous page.

No idea what a "front clip" is though, I don't speak american.

The only thing I can think of that would be less authentic than that Mini is me turning up on Strictly Come Dancing in Susan Calman's next costume to dance her next dance!

Eww, there's an image nobody needs in their head!

Can one report such things?

Leave Eddie alone, he's not hurting anyone. Unless he's trying to pass himself off as the real Susan Calman, for pecuniary advantage. 

i.e. the grille,  the grille surround, the  bonnet  and the headlight trims  of  the coil sprung  vehicles

I thought the 'front clip' was the front subframe, suspension, steering etc?

Don't have a photo sadly, but had a great moment of bafflement a few years back when walking past a coach. Scruffy old thing on it's last gasp stage of school transport duty.

Looked to be either a late Volvo B58 or early B10M from the exhaust style and placement, with a Plaxton Supreme IV or V body, sans much of the brightwork.

...but something just didn't look right. Couldn't put my finger on it for several seconds until I figured out that someone had taken the entire front panel off a Supreme and had grafted it onto what was actually a Duple Dominant II body. I have to assume it had a front end shunt at some point and they happened to have a scrap Dominant around (which given the tendency for the rear end framework to rot is entirely possible) they could rob the front end off. I don't mean like bits of it... we're talking front bumper all the way up to the roof.

Given these two vehicles were arch rivals of each other in the 70s I'm surprised it didn't spontaneously explode out of sheer protest.

Confused the hell out of me for a good few seconds at the time though.

I’d love a photo of the chassis number, are they just riveted on?

The chassis number is(I think) stamped on the outside of the chassis on the offside forward of the front axle, conveniently placed so you can chop it off and replace it when your dumb irons rot.

The original design was NLA quite quickly, the later panel being the only option should your ur-Fiasco take one up the council.

which alot did take one up the council as the brake light switch was badly adjusted from new and the lights wouldnt come on when you stopped- a similar fate befell a bunch of allegro 2s when the 3 had appeared with the flat boot panel

Leave Eddie alone, he's not hurting anyone. Unless he's trying to pass himself off as the real Susan Calman, for pecuniary advantage. 

I thought the 'front clip' was the front subframe, suspension, steering etc?

I think american speak means the front suspension and steering unit but the British version meant the panels.

If you were to order a front clip for an E Type you would recieve the bonnet which obviously the complete front on these.

If you were to order a Mk3 Cortina front clip for your hot rod or kit car then it would be the front subframe / suspension you would get as hot rodding started over the ocean

Here is a case in point......Back to Minis I am afraid but this one is interesting.   Only to me, I know, but still.

post-5367-0-34404000-1507204961_thumb.jpg

Registered as an Austin but has Morris grille....Fair enough - it happens.   Plastered with about £30 worth of Speedwell and Cooper S badges but appears to have nothing more than a garishly-painted 848.   If this bodyshell started off life with the current V5 I would be very, very surprised.   How do I know?  

Because I swept it out of my garage in 2003....

post-5367-0-38925200-1507204993_thumb.jpg 

To be fair a matey did load the remains up on his trailer and took the V5 but we both agreed that there was little could be done to save it. 

I hope I am wrong and the little bugger got stitched back up.   It was virtually a one owner car and absolutely bone stock when I owned it.   13 years in a damp lock up under the heading "one day" sealed its fate, I am afraid.

Given these two vehicles were arch rivals of each other in the 70s I'm surprised it didn't spontaneously explode out of sheer protest.

Confused the hell out of me for a good few seconds at the time though.

Off topic - I always prefered the Plaxtons - Duple seemed the manky option to me - as a mere passenger.

Off topic - I always prefered the Plaxtons - Duple seemed the manky option to me - as a mere passenger.

The finish in the Plaxton coaches was a bit more plush, bit more wood and less vinyl. Personally though I prefer the exterior styling of the Duple lineup...and given it was a duplex that got me into this whole field of madness, that's what I'm looking to buy at some point.

...I will then spend the rest of my life endlessly polishing brightwork I suspect.

As a driver I somewhat prefer the lower windscreen line and "floating" instrument panel of the Duple coaches (Dominant II or later).

Think the divide between the two really thinned down when the Duple Laser and Plaxton Paramount went head to head as they both took the 80s approach of "cover everything with carpet" as I recall.

yIl1Qhr.jpg

Aah. Hmm.

Currently on ebay. Seller wants to do a 60s Mini.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/morris-minor-van-/132352709218?hash=item1ed0d61262:g:S8UAAOSwIylZ1lnq

I do prefer the lowlight looks though.

I really like it, but don't wash it ever again, remove the ironmongery from the roof and put a pre 63 reg on it. And put in some original style seats or a pair of sporty low-back 60s vinyl bucket seats.

Next question, . . . is the rear floor wood-lined?

Well, is it wood-lined? ?