The "That looks a bit odd" Thread

UltraWomble

A friend of mine sold his Land Rover to a dealer and a week later got an angry phone call from him because apparently there was some discrepancy with the chassis no. so he could not export it.

Even though it is not unreasonable for a 30 year old car to have had a new chassis, For some bizarre reason he agreed to take it back but then the dealer wanted £500 more for his expense transport and cleaning it.

I think at that point he got to go do one.

The result still has to pass the same MOT as everyone else and there are not two cars on the road sharing one ID.

Until the 40 year exemption kicks in - so free tax and no further MOT's needed.

There is a 1970's J reg Land Rover locally too ( I have a really shitty cameraphone pic somewhere) that is so blatantly a coil sprung later 1990's 90/Defender as to be untrue.

Anyway, 

s-l1600.jpg

1964 Mini

s-l1600.jpg

1986 Sierra Estate 4x4

s-l500.jpg

1984 MG Metro Replicant

Several years ago I kept seeing what appeared to be a white Vauxhall (Astra) Belmont driven around by some chav types. I could quite work out why it didn't look quite right and the it dawned on me to look at the number plate. The number plate indicated a much newer car than the latest registered Belmonts. It might have been M or N or P reg, I can't quite recall.

I'd hazard a guess that the V5 had the make and model down as a 'Daewoo Nexia'. It might even had been a genuine Nexia with Astra/Belmont parts, who knows?

Some cars are imported and get assigned date of import rather than age related plates.

My friend's father in law built a ridiculous XXL wheelbase Land Rover pickup and tried to get it registered as a tax exempt Range Rover, VOSA weren't impressed, assigned it with a Q plate and a payload of 20 (two zero) kg, because it's only 20kg short of the GVW of a Defender unladen, it's also not allowed to tow anything. LOL

Not at all would I accuse anyone of making or driving a ringer but sometimes you see a car and you think

That doesn't look right

Like this 1968 mini

With plastic lenses

Wind up windows

Reversing lamps ( Mk 3 rear lights)

No door hinges visible

Anyone remember that 1984 MG Metro recently on eBay with late mk3 interior and shell?a04c24d93b1c13ebe3fea2986505ca5a.jpge7f4bf6c87e5fd1d3aa0da828cb9a41d.jpg

Aye, awful lot of stuff on that not correct for G reg. Just as well we never hear of late model Minis going missing, eh?

The two things on that Mini that would be hard to replicate are the larger rear window and larger rear side windows which were introduced with the mk3 in 1969. What 'Mark' were the heritage reshells? I think mk3.

Why reversing lamps though from the Mk4? Teh Mk 3 rear lamps were:-

870e281d68be6047399fc94593f9f559.jpg

Not saying its [red one] a ringer, just wrong.

I think an awful lot of obvious ringers are just stolen then someone chucks a logbook on them. Look at all the defenders that are going missing - they aren't all going for export and to chop that many would be a serious undertaking.

Having had enough bikes stolen over the years I take a pretty dim view of ringing.

eBay is not remotely interested in illegal activity. For more than 10 years it has been prohibited to sell conventional 2 stroke motors for marine use unless for proven commercial purposes.

post-7547-0-88432800-1506593092_thumb.jpg

Though you're unlikely to see this worthless piece of garbage used by any professional salty dog, eBay have failed to respond to numerous complaints and continue to allow them to be listed in their droves. This has been going on for years so there's no chance they'll give a fuck when you report the odd Landrover with flush door hinges masquerading as a series 2a.

(I'm sure 6hp would be ideal for the speedboat though)

That Sierra.

post-132-0-79579900-1506599958_thumb.png

Mk2 not launched until early 87 so that red one ought to have a mk1 front end. Its probably feasible to put the mk2 panels on but there's been a colour change too... wonder if there's any bronze paint underneath the red?

back in the day it was fairly easy to upgrade your crashed car into the next years model , imagine that sierra was crashed and fixed with the later parts from a scrap car and some pattern part wings to make it look newer

done the same with golfs before...big bumpers bolt straight on and make look a few years newer