Show me your headlight wipers

fordperv

I've never seen the ones on the Italian cars with round headlamps before! Wierd yet wonderful.

I was about 7 years old when my parents got their Vauxhall Royale. 8) 8) 8) Those headlamp wash/wipers fascinated me!! :-D Their boxy Carlton 2.2 CDi had them too. Those Vauxhalls the only cars they had to have them. None of my cars had them.

It always interested me that during the late 1970s and up to 1987 Ford only had washers whereas GM had wipers with the washers. That changed with the phase 2 Sierra from 1987 with it's flush headlights: standard on the Ghia spec and above iirc.

Knew Lada used them on the Riva (standard on the Riva GLS/2106/7), never knew they were used on any of the Skoda's of that era though...any photos?

Found the ones on my Saab really useful driving around Scotland in the winter when everything ended up games in salty crud. The increase in light output when you hit the washers was very obvious.

Got through a fair amount of washer fluid though!

One of these threads that pops up from time to time :)

http://autoshite.com/topic/10596-headlight-wipers-are-sexy/

An even better thread is @Zantimisfit's Swedish Spottings thread, which is PACKED with weird headlamp wipers. He even posts close ups of those on the Mini, Allegro and Princess. 

http://autoshite.com/topic/21523-summer-holidays-cars-old/

Confession time: I was so enamoured of the headlamp wipers on the ovlov of much regret that they were the only parts I saw fit to remove before it went to see JB. Somewhere, I still have the wiper arms, jets and tubing if someone wants to reinstate or upgrade to such a system on an early V70...

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Why did car manufacturers stop fitting headlamp wipers?

I used to love seeing them, they were a sign on the likes of mk3 Cavaliers and Sierras of a high spec one, in the same way certain other things marked the car out as not being a lowly Envoy, L, LX, or any of the myriad low spec special editions they did on those cars.

prolly cos plastic lenses would get scratched to fcuk

Hmm possibly, they get scratched to fuck anyway, so wouldnt make a huge difference, also the lenses go all cloudy and stuff as well, they probably shouldnt have stopped fitting glass lenses, but thats another discussion entirely I guess. 

Hmm possibly, they get scratched to fuck anyway, so wouldnt make a huge difference, also the lenses go all cloudy and stuff as well, they probably shouldnt have stopped fitting glass lenses, but thats another discussion entirely I guess. 

They changed to washers. Over here that was a requirement 'til a couple of years ago and then it was dropped as it was deemed anti compeititive to have a requirement that stopped people from buying their cars elsewhere in the EU if they wanted to

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...