40 years Rolling MOT exemption is Go!

Tam

Not really, just look at anything that had a capacity change logged with the DVLA since 1988, 99% will fall foul as I assume they will demand proof of power output of the donor vehicle which in most cases will be more.

How many landrovers are running a TDi or V8

Likewise if you declare under 15% to the DVLA to get exemption and you crash insurers will likely be looking for reasons to reduce your cover to 3rd party only - oh look you've got a twin weber and extractors nevermind you told us already you are screwed etc.

Hopefully this will get amended or junked along with compulsory insurance following the VNUK case as we have better things to waste ministers time on in the run up the leaving the EU.

Otherwise invest in a weigh bridge hiring lead weights and a rolling road...

Likewise if you declare under 15% to the DVLA to get exemption and you crash insurers will likely be looking for reasons to reduce your cover to 3rd party only - oh look you've got a twin weber and extractors nevermind you told us already you are screwed etc.

No difference to insurance when you tell them an exhaust is a non-performance changing cosmetic item then. I don't have before & after dynos to prove mine added around 20bhp at all, oh no not me... :whistle:

I'll fix it properly, I'm not a complete twat.  Though it is tempting to just do a top grade bodge on it instead knowing I'll be fine and above board.

Until you get pulled by plod. I imagine galloping rust holes still = un-roadworthy...

Perhaps there will be more of an incentive to pull over scruffy old motors now as fines will make the govt more money than MOT repair costs going to private garages...

I can't imagine plod laying on the ground by the side of a road, hitting sills with an MOT hammer.

Side/silly question, if a car has a full rollcage, would the structural members like the sills be less of an issue if rotted? I.e. the cage offers plenty structural strength.

Side/silly question, if a car has a full rollcage, would the structural members like the sills be less of an issue if rotted? I.e. the cage offers plenty structural strength.

It would depend on the design of the bodyshell, but in most cases even a proper, multi-point, weld-in rollcage would not suffice. You would basically need to design and fabricate a spaceframe chassis, connecting to suspension pickup points, seat and seatbelt mounts etc. - which is far more complicated than just welding in replacement sills.

I don't think people on here would run about in heaps of shit with sills made out of chicken wire and filler. But saying that there's a lot out there whose enthusiasm isn't matched by any mechanical aptitude whatsoever. They'll run stuff about with bald tyres, rusted brake lines and collapsing suspension, calipers held on with cable ties etc.

Take for example that Cortina estate that knocked about in Alfreton, scraping from test to test, weld over weld over weld. Likelyhood of the owner now welding up the suspension mounts or effecting a proper repair to a perished hose? Fairly slim I'd say.

^ That Cortina inastate is now dead, irrc.

Scrupulous owners will continue to keep their old cars tip-top. The shiny-classic-but-rotten-underneath eBay brigade will now use the new ruling to their full advantage. They won't be the ones caught driving something with hidden terminal rot, and they didn't sell it with a bent MOT.

Much as the concept sounds great, I can foresee, as with everything in life, the minority dickheads ruining it for the majority of decent owners.

The thing is those dickheads are the same dickheads tooling around in shite Astras with four bald Happy Dragon Ditch Molesters, sills made of wob and ABS lights wrapped in tinfoil; which are they going to pick, a car that has a heating and ventilation system that works and ignition that isn't dependent upon the phases of the moon and the ambient humidity, or Fred Flintstone's Viva HC? Let's face it, the kind of 1970s shitter that can be bought at this price point is suitable only for bridging or longterm restoration; putting such a car into regular use would result in a continuous stream of FTPs guaranteed to drive the miscreants back to modern motoring quicker than you can say 'vorsprung durch knackered'.

I was just thinking that. Or just weld a big scaffolding tube along the sill and plate weld the floor so it doesn't fall apart along the road as you drive.

My sis' hubby[to be], when I was a young gunn.... Their pass wagginn was an 1100.

I called round to his house one day and there he was, just the head in view - his dad had a pit! - and busily welding Dexion shelving ribs along the sills....

Substantial, what you say... Eh? ;)

TS

I have been busy contemplating this the past few days.

The shite I'm going to drive next year. The mind boggles.

Stay tuned, this is going to be fucking awesome!

I declare the GGG being catapulted into an entirely new dimensionshite.

The hilarity will be an overwhelming one.

A politician did something FOR me.

I just can't get over it.

Long live the Torys!

Why is it twattish to point out the hilarious disparity in the laws enacted to make life easier for the well off and the ones used to punish the poor?

Because it is a thread about MOT exemption. Even die hard Corbynisteers are fed up with you turning every thread you post in into a Tory/ Government bashing all poor people are perfect and all rich people are bastards exercise. 

As my modern bike broke yesterday shall I drag my Bonnie out, nail the clutch back together & go for a hoon? I won't go far as the oil all falls out...

Currently the 604 has (free) tax which runs out on 1st April 2018, and it is insured, but it has no MOT.

As I keep it off of the road this isn't a problem is it?  or does the lack of MOT require me to SORN it?

According to the consultation

We have decided that most vehicles over 40 years old (on a rolling basis) will be exempt from MOT testing from 20 May 2018.

so presumably I must SORN it on the last day of March as I won't be able to renew the tax, and then 50 days later I tax it again (for free) without an MOT?

I won't really be able to drive it as it leaves quite a trail of oil behind it (blown crank shaft oil seal) but at least when I have found a place to pull the engine and replace the seal and get some welding done I can do so legally.