VW BEETLE FOR SALE

Insideimsmiling

For Sale: VW Beetle in metallic grey its a 2002 car with the 1600cc engine and has done a total of 129000 miles. It runs fine and is good inside however the bodywork lets it down with dents, scuffs and keying to the sides and bonnet. These were previously wrapped but this was removed from the car by the last owner who kept the car stored and allowed the MOT to lapse. I bought this and took it for an MOT which it failed due in the main to rust underneath the car, so quite how it got its last MOT who knows. It cost myself £245 from this very parish however now I know the extent of the work required I would say that £195 is a fair price for a running but tatty Beetle that needs welding for an MOT along with some other things - NJ52CHD, look it up for the fail sheet! There is no log book as the previous owner lost it but a receipt will be given, along with blessings and a lucky rabbits foot.

So plastidip it, spray it, wrap it or sticker bomb it, just bloody buy it!

post-19850-0-99699300-1505221355_thumb.jpg

post-19850-0-19367100-1505221380_thumb.jpg

post-19850-0-56457100-1505221393_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sorting out the For Sale tag & yes it is in Lincolnshire and is the ex-PBK Bug, I didn't expect VW to have built these to the same original standard as the real thing but surprisingly they do rot in the same way. I went to my local scrapyard looking for bits for this prior to the MOT results and the two Bugs they had in there were equally rotten but actually looked better on top than this one.

I do love the idea of wood panel effect vinyl wrapping to the car as suggested by Ghosty, I saw a few woody's ( Now that does sound wrong ) at car shows over the summer, old Royce etc, and really love the look. The shape of the Beetle lends itself to this and if it had been in better nick that is the route I would have gone down.

Still you win some and lose some, Jaguar XJ6 bought recently from Cheezey is a beauty and the drive back from Scotland was enough to make me fall in love with it. He gave me an honest and full description before the sale and if anything overplayed the cosmetic issues, it was a pleasure to buy from him. The only problem was it was my mate who bought it and all I did was tell her about it and offer my services to collect.

Anyway moving forward and at a recent car show I got talking to a TR7 owner and was saying how I considered buying one but missed the boat so instead of being under my self imposed limit of £1000 ( imposed by poverty ) a decent one is £6000, so when I saw another car I had thought about in the past and seemed to have missed out on , well I had to look. It is the Honda CRX Del Sol, a two seater semi sports car with a targa top. Most have now been customised and so a stock one is hard to find and as the rice rocket fans love them they are all over a grand or very rusty. A black one came up locally on Face ache and so I took a look.

It turned out to be a dark blue and in overall good condition for its age, a P plate. It had the automatic roof which is worth seeking out on You Tube if you haven't seen one in action as it is far more complex than anything I have ever seen. A quick test drive and a chat with a very friendly and genuine owner ( sale due to retirement ) was followed by me putting in an offer just under the asking price for a recently MOT'd Del Sol, with a genuine mileage of 217000 miles. Probably the highest mileage survivor in the UK for this model - what could possibly go wrong. So goodbye Beetle hopefully as I am also going to list it on Facebook just in case you are all too sensible to buy it and when I collect the Del Sol in a couple of weeks I will let everyone here see my next moneypit - well you can't take it with you!

It's a bit scary to hear that these rot so badly. I'd have never have said given how solid it was up top, albeit somewhat scruffy obviously. That has really opened my eyes about the option of having another one at some point in the future. Crazy that such a modern vehicle could suffer so badly, especially seeing as how VW is seen as a fairly reasonable* product - supposedly (emissions not included obv). Compare it to my Mk3 Golf which is virtually pristine underneath. Weird.

Thought people might find the fail sheet useful to see.

Reason(s) for failure

• Offside Front Direction indicator incorrect colour (1.4.A.2f)
  • Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid not working (8.2.3)
  • Nearside Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
  • Offside Headlamp aim too low 
  • Offside Front Tyre not fitted in accordance with side wall instructions (4.1.D.1f)
  • Offside Front suspension has excessive play in a lower suspension ball joint (2.5.B.1a)
  • Nearside Front suspension has excessive play in a lower suspension ball joint (2.5.B.1a)
  • Offside Front Lower Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement wishbone rear bush (2.4.G.2)
  • Offside Rear Outer Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded sill as marked (2.4.A.3)
  • Nearside Rear Outer Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded sill as marked (2.4.A.3)

Advisory notice item(s)

• Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement wishbone rear bush (2.4.G.2)
  • Nearside Track rod end ball joint dust cover damaged, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.2.C.1c)
  • Nearside Front Outer sill holed and corroded,but not in prescribed area
  • Central exhaust mounting broken,system still secure
  • exhaust heat shields adrift
  • Offside Rear wheel not binding,but tighter than normal
  • Nearside Front tyre on wear indicator

So essentially some rust on the sills. Shame there aren't any pics so the rot could be seen as to the extent. The rest is not world ending, indicator bulb, wiper blade and so on. If you can weld, and wield a spanner easily enough then it will be a very cheap Beetle. As it was it was still a cheap Beetle.

The previous MOT. and two thousand odd miles less ................

Date tested24 August 2016 PASS

Mileage127,433 miles
MOT test number1014 9705 5279
Expiry date23 August 2017
Advisory notice item(s)
  • Parking brake lever has little reserve travel (3.1.6b)
  • Front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
  • Rear brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
  • Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
  • Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
  • Offside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
  • both inner sills have surface corrosion

Rust can creep up on a vehicle like a sneaky ninja bastard, and cars you've had for a couple of years and thought were solid, due to total reliability and not having up on ramps regularly, can spring most unpleasant surprises at MOT time :shock:

Cills rust, shit happens, that fail sheet doesn't seem like the end of the world for the asking price, if it was an auto I'd be seriously considering it myself as I've fancied one of these for a while, but it's not, and I have no love for the manual box nowadays :?

• 2 weeks later...

Sold to the guy who drove it off my drive stopped up the road to chat with his mate and locked himself out of the car. Much cursing and head scratching observed from my window before a sheepish returning to my door to ask if I have a spare key. Strangely I do not keep spare keys for cars I sell so they borrow a brick and smash a window before going on their merry way with o e more task to the to do list.

Bye bye Beetle, with that much rot it could have been a real one! And hello Honda ( but that's a different story )