Zel's Motoring Adventures...Peugeot, Renault, Rover, Trabant, Invacar & A Sinclair C5 - Updated 13/07.

Zelandeth

With the Partner in work commuting use, the Invacar still boxed in behind a broken Trabant, the Trabant having only half an engine, and the Renault still as far from being road ready as it was at Christmas, the Rover was placed on Daily duty today.

IMG_20240709_151106.jpg.d29bdf09c520475dac8fd5a2131740ac.jpg

She actually behaved impeccably today.  Still running a touch warmer than I'd like but not too worryingly so, the windscreen wiper blades are bloody hopeless, and on a wet road she is *exactly* as willing to go sideways as I expected given the age of the tyres currently fitted.

Oh, and that bloody sidelight has gone out again.  The holder in that just needs to be replaced as it's knackered.  If I clean the contacts it will work again for a couple of uses before packing in again.

Niggles aside though, we did probably 30 miles over four or five errands dotted around town, and she just did car things without complaint.  Do I dare believe that we're starting to turn a corner with things towards the car being properly usable?  Or do we have another exciting random failure waiting to pounce as soon as I believe that?  Don't know, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Now that we've got that oil leak under control I think I just need to make a point of using the car a bit more and try to get some miles covered to shake the remaining bugs out.

In other fleet news it looks like we actually have an upgrade coming in to take the place of the Partner.  I absolutely wasn't looking for anything in that regard, other than likely a newer generation Berlingo/Partner in a year or two.  Really the only black mark against it is that Abby doesn't find it particularly comfortable to drive, and given that she has to make a 2+ hour each way run to work every couple of weeks.  This being the main reason I'd really been trying to get cruise control working, but have so far been foiled by the fact that someone appears to have replaced one of the ECUs at some point which has resulted in it refusing to let us code it in.  I *like* having it there as an option, but as she learned to drive in the US where even the most knackered old clunkers have cruise and AC, it's something she finds not having being really annoying.

However despite my not actively looking for another car, one has cropped up which is such a complete and total home run as far as our wish list goes I'd be daft not to look in to it.

Also is a car which is just in really nice condition throughout as far as I can see.  While the Partner's in decent shape, she is a bit cosmetically rough around the edges in a few areas, and just has wear and tear as you'd expect from a car if this type that's heading towards 20 years and 130K miles old.  This one though really has obviously been looked after more carefully...and I admit that having a daily driver that is just a nice car which I can just keep nice rather than playing catch up from day one actually does sound nice.

• Like 2

• Zelandeth changed the title to Zel's Motoring Adventures...Peugeot, Renault, Rover, Trabant, Invacar & A Sinclair C5 - 09/07 - Rover out and about and seemingly working...
12 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

and given that she has to make a 2+ hour each way run to work every couple of weeks.  This being the main reason I'd really been trying to get cruise control working, but have so far been foiled by the fact that someone appears to have replaced one of the ECUs at some point which has resulted in it refusing to let us code it in.  I *like* having it there as an option, but as she learned to drive in the US where even the most knackered old clunkers have cruise and AC, it's something she finds not having being really annoying.

They made a Cruise control module/addition for the Model 70,  Just saying :mrgreen:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Very awesome to see the Rover P6 out and about its a fine looking beast and its good to hear it finally all digits crossed seems to be behaving itself :) I still am very much looking forward to hearing/experiencing it for myself one day :) (and the same for the Trabant also! one of the things I am most curious to know about that is how its coulmn shift compares to @Six-cylinder's Peugeot 404, because thats the only manual column shift I have driven thus far :)

18 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

They made a Cruise control module/addition for the Model 70,  Just saying :mrgreen:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Very awesome to see the Rover P6 out and about its a fine looking beast and its good to hear it finally all digits crossed seems to be behaving itself :) I still am very much looking forward to hearing/experiencing it for myself one day :) (and the same for the Trabant also! one of the things I am most curious to know about that is how its coulmn shift compares to @Six-cylinder's Peugeot 404, because thats the only manual column shift I have driven thus far :)

The gear change on the Trabant is lovely.  I haven't driven all that many cars with a column shift, but this is definitely up there with the best of them.  It's really light yet positive in action if that makes sense, and very precise.  Which I think stems from the fact that the linkage is so simple - just being a straight rod which is hooked basically straight on to the selector fork.

It's a really easy car to drive all round.  Takes a bit more skill to drive *smoothly* mind you!

Sure you'll have a chance at some point.  Imagine it will be at the FoD at some point in future. 

Won't be able to recreate the full bore launch I subjected you to in the XJ-S in it though!  Granted, the P6 does a pretty decent job of picking up her heels and go, doesn't have quite the same level of immediate and relentless shove though...Though admittedly not all that many things do.

• Like 1

Sidelight has been repaired.  Again.

IMG_20240710_150101.jpg.6244edfe6cdf613329e9022dadc9416e.jpg

The whole back of the cluster is just rotten though so I don't expect it to stay fixed for more than five minutes.  Annoyingly I did get a couple of spare tail light assemblies with the car but no front ones.

Another reason I really need to get the car up on a proper lift is to get a better look at the rear suspension.  There is a really noticeable difference in the ride height between the two sides.

IMG_20240710_141510.jpg.478a23636a22981add8f405187308b97.jpg

IMG_20240710_141459.jpg.d63dada375af575b4cb8d6ac13ae74bf.jpg

I'm assuming that the top one there (nearside) is closer to the correct height.

I did have a look around while I was wrestling with the fuel gauge wiring and couldn't see anything that looked obviously amiss like a broken spring, but something is obviously awry.  Not sure if maybe there was a broken spring at some point and only one was changed - so one is relatively new, and the other has 48 years and 101K miles of wear on it?

Edit: 

Also finally got around to replacing the vacuum line to the brake servo to get rid of this wonderful blanking invention for an apparently unused vacuum port.  No idea where it originally went.

IMG_20240710_155207.jpg.78c2963a70f17277d83e9e24408b72fe.jpg

All I know is that it didn't fully seal, and the hose was a good inch or two too short and as such was firmly wedged against the back of the alternator.

Much better.

IMG_20240710_160921.jpg.1856607d84935d811f5425efb1b26bac.jpg

Also added a couple of hose clips to the vacuum line between the two halves of the servo as that line was quite a loose fit.

Evidently this improved matters as first time I went for the brakes after doing this I just about launched myself through the windscreen.

Having fixed the sidelight meant I could have another shot at getting a halfway decent photo of the car.

IMG_20240710_161941.jpg.ce7dd4dfb5c37eb309658ede03f55678.jpg

Still breaks my brain a little to think how long ago this design was drawn up.  Not quite as much as it does to drive the car mind you.  It absolutely doesn't feel like a 60 year old design.

• Like 3

It's funny to think that the P6 was considered a proper full size family car when it was launched.  However it even makes the Clio I parked next to today look positively bulky.  Never mind the eyesore SUV on the other side.

IMG_20240712_142715.jpg.e3bdd7828b8e0fb2dae31b5d7fb79a08.jpg

A maintenance job I'd never really properly tackled since I got the car was to balance the carbs.  I had a feeling that the engine was mostly idling on the offside carb just from the sound of things and given that that bank seemed to be running significantly warmer when I was doing some temperature checks last week.

I don't have a proper carb balancing kit here.  Not least because this is the first car I've owned which had more than one carb so it's just something I've never needed before.  I do however have an offcut of fuel hose and a reasonable understanding of how these things work.

IMG_20240712_154756.jpg.3897b7cd6fc560cb755882f6d7959e26.jpg

Simply put, just disconnected the throttle linkage between the two carbs, then used the hose as a stethoscope to listen to each intake as I adjusted things until I got both the desires idle RPM and the same amount of air being drawn through both carbs.  The linkage was then adjusted to compensate for the rest position now being slightly different (as predicted, the car was really heavily leaning on the offside carb with virtually nothing being done by the nearside one at idle) and reconnected. 

Idle speed is sitting at 700-750rpm in neutral, dropping to 550-600ish in gear, which sounds reasonable enough to me.

IMG_20240712_154617.jpg.8b799af886b472fa358d277d971d933e.jpg

Idle is definitely smoother.  The biggest difference though is that the engine feels far more responsive coming off idle on light throttle openings.  Which makes sense really.  One of those things that would be really hard to show in video, but is immediately apparent when you're the one whose foot is in control of the throttle and your behind is in the seat judging the level of go being provided. 

Definitely sounding a lot better now than when she arrived here.

The exhaust is generally pretty subtle, but has a hell of a bassy rumble at idle which I'm not sure if the mic will ever really pick up.

While I had the air cleaner off I took the opportunity to finally ask a question about what this unused hose connection on the back of the air cleaner is meant to be used for?

IMG_20240712_154851.jpg.d263a26f3a4e5702bc24a17c4449d688.jpg

Given the surface rust on it I don't think it's had anything attached for a good number of years.  Answers on a postcard?

Evidently I do need to do some more leak searching on the cooling system as there's a bit of coolant which has gathered on the valley cover.

IMG_20240712_154524.jpg.3bca96c22b9f11faef0e93279fcd038a.jpg

It looks like a lot there but one paper towel was fully able to soak it up, so not actually a massive amount.  Those heater hose clips are both secure (the lower one is actually on there fine - the fitting the hose goes on to extends a long way into the hose).  I'd be tending to look more suspiciously at the thermostat housing or the connection up front to the lower heater hose as they're really quite awkward to connect up as there isn't much space to play with.

Not trying to do that now though while the engine is hot.  Same reason I've kicked looking at fine tuning the kick down cable adjustment down the road - trying to do that now is just a recipe for burned fingers.

Last thing I did today was to provide a bit of protection for the coolant bleed line that runs between the top of the intake manifold and the top of the radiator.

IMG_20240712_160039.jpg.9dddfe5703ad434484336025d13a7ea2.jpg

This was chafing on the alternator belt shield - and given the direction the fitting coming off the radiator points I really don't see how it's meant to go anywhere else.

I realised when going to secure this though that I'd somehow actually managed to run out of zip ties...so securing it properly will need to wait until I've had a chance to pick some more up.

• Like 7

• Zelandeth changed the title to Zel's Motoring Adventures...Peugeot, Renault, Rover, Trabant, Invacar & A Sinclair C5 - 12/07 - Old School Carb Balancing...

Hopefully I've found the cause of the water sitting on top of the valley cover.

IMG_20240713_172355.jpg.c86ad215bd07beb252fa514621d2b51e.jpg

That's a new hose and the clip wasn't very tight.  Hopefully it had just loosened a bit as the hose compressed.  Have wiped it down and will see if the water reappears.

I've lost track of how many applications have been made now, but the leather is definitely improving compared to the cardboard like texture it had when the car arrived here.

IMG_20240713_170956.jpg.dca92f747e524f0e694992670d25e379.jpg

IMG_20240713_170948.jpg.156007e604d5f680288015829cbbea60.jpg

Would be good to get some dye on it at some point to bring back out the original colour.   If the above was already too much orange for you, look away now.

IMG_20240713_171020.jpg.008f41972c8e0ebdc132c6640bc739f4.jpg

Definitely not an interior colour choice for everyone this.  However I'm rather partial to bright colours in cars so suits me just fine.

I mean subtlety isn't really what this car is about is it?

IMG_20240713_171741.jpg.e184ee3404297999702e120f703bd105.jpg

• Zelandeth changed the title to Zel's Motoring Adventures...Peugeot, Renault, Rover, Trabant, Invacar & A Sinclair C5 - Updated 13/07.
14 hours ago, SiC said:

eBay has notified me it's been reduced by £75. Also they've put an option for it to be posted too. 

The thing is I'm not 100% sure that's the right rad.  For a start it has a hole for a fan temperature switch which mine doesn't.  There is also an additional medium bore return hose by the filler neck which on mine is just a 3/16" or thereabouts bleed line.  The overflow line also seems to be missing , suggesting this has been modified to be used with an external expansion tank.  Just seems odd. 

Screenshot_20240714_114141.jpg.8c8fdd10269fedc55beaa139097a1997.jpg

This is what the top of that end tank normally looks like.

Screenshot_20240714_113636.jpg.f2ff76843ec07e449634cc723eff9e9d.jpg

So at the very least it's going to require some modification to fit.  I don't want to end up buying it and ending up with yet more junk engine up buried in the garage waiting for me to get around to decide what to do with it.  Have managed to find a couple of *slightly* less ridiculously priced options at least than when I last looked so that's something.

Had to run out briefly this evening (made a critical dog food mathematical error) and discovered that the side light is still working.  Two of the illumination lamps in the instrument panel, not so much.  Grr!

Did have someone randomly wind down their window at a junction just to say they liked the car though.

• Like 2