Zelandeth

Zel's Motoring Adventures...Lada, Citroen, Mercedes & AC Model 70 - 22/08 - Invacar post-paint-reassembly done.

Pressure wise I'm not entirely sure just now.  This gun is calling for around 60psi if I remember rightly, but is a lot hungrier on air than the previous one. 

The new gun doesn't have an air flow control, relying on the regulator for that.  I didn't have much paint today to play with, so when things behaved reasonably well on the first shot (which was just with the reg wound wide open albeit at the end of a pretty long hose) I just ran with it with the bit of paint I had.

That trick using thinners and a visual check of the fan is one I'd been told before but had totally forgotten.  I'll give that a try tomorrow. 

It actually seemed to be going on pretty well today despite the random settings, so I reckon with a bit of fine tuning we'll have things spraying nicely.

One thing I'm definitely doing tomorrow is sorting the blasted hose out first.  I spent half of today tripping over the damned thing and trying to keep it off the panels I'd just painted.  I think a wall mounted drum to store it on is something I need to invest in.  Having a 25 metre hose is well and good, but it's a bloody pain to wrangle inside a small garage.  It's about the right size to let me get to the far side of the driveway, but there's no proper storage currently.

Have been having a bit of a think about long term fleet plans today.  Much as I love the Activa she persistently loses points for being expensive.  She's going to be wanting a decent chunk of money spent soon too. 

[] Two tyres definitely as they're worn out - ideally a full set of four based on age.  So probably £250 based on a ten second check on Mytyres.

[] Rear silencer - probably middle section as well based on prior experience sayi& it'll disintegrate when I separate it from the tailpipe.  I'm not doing this myself and my usual garage have made it quite clear that they really don't want to mess about with exhausts any more than I do.  So it'll be Formula One for a stock system...but the rear box alone is £98 plus the VAT...so I'm probably not going to get much change from £300 I reckon.  At that price I may as well just pay a bit more and get a cat back system in stainless.  At least the cat is a decent distance back on this so it should save me a few quid.

[] Front suspension re-bushing.  To be fair I should have done this a while back.  I've got most of the bushes involved in stock, so at some point shortly I'll probably throw the car at Two Wrestlers Garage with the instruction "stop the front end rattling please." Bit of a shot in the dark...but call it £200.

The  paint really could do with attention as well as she's getting really quite scruffy now.

Granted...once this lot is done it should mean the to do list will be pretty small for a good while hopefully.

This would be a far easier pill to swallow if I could sell the Lada.  Which is now out of MOT... I've been kind of ignoring it for the last few weeks.  At some point I'll need to get it a new test.  That will want a front brake overhaul and a new exhaust.  Blarg.

Don't suppose anyone wants to sell a GSA do they?   Really finding myself fancying one...had forgotten them for a while.  Been forever since I borrowed a friend's one...one of the few cars to get an honest WTF moment out of me when I first sat in the driver's seat...though I remember that the bonkers dash and controls actually worked really well after a few miles, but above that was the almost sublime levels of comfort provided and a glorious soundtrack.

I read somewhere that you are thinking uniroyal rain expert 3 for the activa Zel. Good choice in my opinion. I had them on the activa, on bigger 17" wheels admittedly, and had them on the 407 coupe. Great tyres and when I need tyres again that's what I will get. I find that camskill are always the cheapest supplier for the uniroyals.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I dont see the Xantias clutch issue in that list, did you figure out how to bleed the system? :) 

23 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Don't suppose anyone wants to sell a GSA do they?   Really finding myself fancying one...had forgotten them for a while.  Been forever since I borrowed a friend's one...one of the few cars to get an honest WTF moment out of me when I first sat in the driver's seat...though I remember that the bonkers dash and controls actually worked really well after a few miles, but above that was the almost sublime levels of comfort provided and a glorious soundtrack.

someone's been watching some hubnut recently :mrgreen:

would the lada with a fresh set of front wings, do well at a classic car auction like what @richardthestag is doing with his Range rover?

The clutch has sorted itself.

I'm guessing that there's a miniscule leak on the slave cylinder and the air has escaped through it.  Fluid level hasn't moved at all yet.

Problem the Lada has is that it's not quite tidy enough to do well at a major auction - and the fuel injection conversion will put a lot of people off, despite it making the car a thousand times nicer to drive and live with.

Have seen Hubnut reviewing one in my feed, haven't got close to watching it yet.  Seeing a couple about lately is more responsible for it though. 

19 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

The clutch has sorted itself.

I'm guessing that there's a miniscule leak on the slave cylinder and the air has escaped through it.  Fluid level hasn't moved at all yet.

Problem the Lada has is that it's not quite tidy enough to do well at a major auction - and the fuel injection conversion will put a lot of people off, despite it making the car a thousand times nicer to drive and live with.

Have seen Hubnut reviewing one in my feed, haven't got close to watching it yet.  Seeing a couple about lately is more responsible for it though. 

good work, enjoying this thread.

Re paint, do yourself a favour and pic up a cheapo 1.4mm hvlp gun with the reservoir on the top. set the fan as wide as it can go and 40-45psi. spray thinners to make sure that it does fan, I had one gun with a blocked air hole, the fan was very one sided, 30 seconds with some welding wire and perfecto. Never spent more than £30 on a paint gun. mix paint 90% thinners and practice on cardboard, overlap each strip 50% do not lay it on wet, unless you like the runs ... fnarr

First few coats I put on real thin and dry. do not try to get it shiny on the first coat

I use 2k and the same mask as you have, a few very thin coats seals the surface. 15 mins between coats. Then flat it back 1500 grade and lots of soapy water, if it goes through to primer no problem.

two more coats slightly heavier, and flat it. Then top coat is wetter but not so much that it is danger of running. I move quite quickly and learn something new every time I paint anything

Regarding what buyers at auction think, please let me know because I have not figured it out yet, originality is out.. unless it is the engine number... 21st century build and q control is in apparently. as is making a 70s range rover as good and comfy and reliable* as a modern range rover :D

They are a fickle lot

Today was very much a game of two halves.  Also can be read as "discovering the pitfalls you need to watch for when painting."

Picked up the new paint, got the gun ready, loaded up with an actually carefully measured 5:1 mix and did a quick test panel.  All looked good.  Regulator settings still seem well off the mark, but the spray looks good so I'm going with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach there.  Let's not make myself work.

Things were actually going well up until about the 80% mark.  Though dear fluffing hell I need to tidy my garage up.  Trying to move around a car covered in wet paint in there is damned near impossible just now.

At that point something odd happened... suddenly the volume of paint I got out of the gun increased by a factor of about ten it felt like.  It was very visible when that happened from the cloud and the change in sound.

Best guess I have (also pointed to from the visible evidence) is that I'd not done a good enough job of mixing the thinners in and I pulled in a pocket that was very thinners rich.  Sadly this resulted in it looking like I'd dumped a bottle of thinners over the roof and offside door.

Am I disgruntled?  Not really.  It's a learning experience and I'd far rather make these mistakes on a car that's this cosmetically challenged with relatively cheap paint rather than respraying the Xantia or something like that where the final finish is far more critical.

So I'll definitely need to give some areas another coat, but we're looking close to a point where I'm going to feel I can call it good enough for now on some areas now.

Pictures hopefully speak a thousand words...

IMG_20190820_180347.thumb.jpg.bec22410290e9d36092bc3e8464d159c.jpg

The target here is to get to a state which you'd not immediately think looked scruffy if you saw me driving past...and it feels like we're starting to get there.

IMG_20190820_180403.thumb.jpg.afc1145ad902826b587a329a93823635.jpg

IMG_20190820_180409.thumb.jpg.97d298c81beaef154c4cdd6eecc2ea94.jpg

IMG_20190820_180435.thumb.jpg.d520408725f86e845f7fd59a427a0b6f.jpg

IMG_20190820_180445.thumb.jpg.6726171620e1f1217103568bb0938697.jpg

IMG_20190820_180922.thumb.jpg.9ac5d0170b01caafa463c1c62bc4fed2.jpg

Here's the two shots where there's evidence of my "paint flow anomaly" which I'll need to resolve.

IMG_20190820_180500.thumb.jpg.02996e9a614dacf953e9937ceabf074f.jpg

IMG_20190820_180451.thumb.jpg.5a24ba34e454d90b95e99b81abbd84cb.jpg

Nothing a quick rub down to smooth out the resulting runs and a recoat can't sort though.  Will have done a decent job of sealing the surface at least.

I don't think I'm being too forward in saying that I think TPA is looking a heck of a lot better than she did a couple of weeks ago.  Just a shame I didn't get this done before the FotU!

I've not bothered masking the indicator surrounds up front as they're badly perished and will be replaced shortly.  Likewise the lock on the engine cover - it's seized beyond all redemption so will be getting changed.

I'll be getting a small brush out and doing a few details by hand.  The edges of the door frames you can't see with the doors closed (I can't be bothered taking the doors off or masking the whole interior off!) for one, and applying some "steel wheel silver" to the engine cover hinges and the air intake grill.  Wheels will be getting hammered metallic black (one is already done) as well.

Then next up will be sorting a few items on the snagging list I think.  High on that list is to get the dash out to sort some wiring "repairs" I've seen which I don't like.  The screw terminal strip which is carrying the full primary circuit current (including battery charge I believe - so theoretically up to 35A) which I really don't like.  The ignition switch gets quite warm too, so I'd really like to get some relays fitted to take the strain off it.

...Or I've been spending too much time working on PSA vehicles with their self destructing ignition switch contacts and it's made me paranoid!

That's obviously the ideal time to get the switch for my heater blower fan wired up as the dash will be out and I'll have the soldering iron and heat shrink out.

Feels like I've made more steps forward today than in a while though.

Oh...and yes, I'm very glad I bought the proper mask.

IMG_20190820_180334.thumb.jpg.9f48f346aabbae46cecc051f33b05c9c.jpg

Much prefer that blue paint being in the filters than in me.

Definitely feel I'm somewhat getting the feel of this now.  Got the spray gun working nicely within a few minutes today, and it behaved perfectly throughout the whole loading of paint.

I think we're pretty much at the stage now where I'm happy to more or less to call the paintwork "good enough for now."

The aim has always been to get the car into a state where it looked like a somewhat scruffy but well loved creaky old classic car rather than something which looked like it had literally just been driven out of a scrap yard.  That's a state which we're getting towards now I think.

The bodywork will be seeing professional attention at some point in the future - but it shouldn't be a barrier to the car actually being used in the real world now.

Here's a bit of before & after fun.

IMG_20180623_210358.thumb.jpg.92a01b323d713bd5b812c2d184caf5bf.jpg

IMG_20190821_181629.thumb.jpg.1f33ec3da6e7eabb63f5a07f54dc33dc.jpg

IMG_20190821_181619.thumb.jpg.c174c185e809f440844e8de8116d12da.jpg

IMG_20190821_181608.thumb.jpg.9e9a5f8a6eb0289a842f2fa1f9d9855f.jpg

IMG_20180622_165312.thumb.jpg.7386089c79ae6d957755fde7dad44a00.jpg

IMG_20180622_164850.thumb.jpg.405c44e6b8678015434c00fcf840ac36.jpg

IMG_20190821_181657.thumb.jpg.5986566443a4e5ff18cf5609e5f1e9cb.jpg

IMG_20190821_181642.thumb.jpg.83cbf3b2aa47edd7cd680e458a2f9a18.jpg

No, it's not fantastic...but it's a means to an end.  I want to use the car...and hopefully this should scream "there's no way this is road legal!" slightly less loudly at any passing traffic police having a bad day that might otherwise see me as a target.

The engine cover and doors might want another coat ideally as they're still a bit patchy.  Realistically I'll get a better finish on the doors if I lay them flat for the last coat anyway.  The rest of it I'm calling done for now - at the very most I might throw one more coat on.

Tomorrow's task will be to pull all the masking tape off and put stuff back together.  The interior is still half full of blasting soda too, so an interior clean will also be on the cards.  Keeping fingers very much crossed that the paint hasn't found its way in through too many gaps as I'd rather not have to go over everything with the thinners!  I did throw a sheet over the seat at least though...so hopefully that will still be black.

TPA really has come a long way such amazing work really is a testament to your skills :) 

it makes me very happy!

I very much look forward to seeing her "buttoned back up" and on the road :)

(if nothing else so I finally have a good overview picture to replace the one in my survivors list thats horribly out of date by now!)

10 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Great stuff. Are you sure you can't make it to the National MicroCar Rally? Because parking next to TWC will also make TPA look a zillion times better...

It's really a "will have to see" situation just now.  Still waiting for the blasted throttle cable (ordered on the 8th) to arrive for one thing.

Secondly is just that I'm having a really poor couple of weeks health wise so trying to plan a trip to an event that far off really feels beyond my mental capacity right now.  It's a three plus hour and 120 mile drive (probably a good deal more actually as that figure is just plucked from Google...one return trip of 17 miles each way is the furthest we've gone so far and that wasn't without carb issues...so it just feels a bit of an ask.  I really think a few 30 or so mile runs need to be completed without anything falling off or misbehaving need to be done first.

Would also need to figure out accommodation as I'd otherwise need to turn around pretty much as soon as I arrived to get home at a sensible time.

Really annoying I can't have my other half just follow along with the van...it would feel eminently more doable then and would solve the accomodation issue.  Sadly the only other driver in the house nowadays is terrified of driving anything more than five years old and has a major freak out if in a car without active collision avoidance, adaptive cruise control etc...so piloting a 30 year old van ain't gonna happen.  I think he's terrified enough of being a passenger in it, much less driving it.  Having lost half the drivers in our family to health issues in the last few years is a royal pain.

11 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Really annoying I can't have my other half just follow along with the van...it would feel eminently more doable then and would solve the accomodation issue.  Sadly the only other driver in the house nowadays is terrified of driving anything more than five years old and has a major freak out if in a car without active collision avoidance, adaptive cruise control etc...so piloting a 30 year old van ain't gonna happen.  I think he's terrified enough of being a passenger in it, much less driving it.  Having lost half the drivers in our family to health issues in the last few years is a royal pain.

Frustrating that I don't have a full licence as thats something id be up for doing, esp as I would love to be at the NMR myself but I dont currently see a way of it happening as its just too far for me to do on public transport etc

granted if I had a full licence id be taking REV  down to the NMR ideally :) (assuming I could get her road legal by then!)

Starting to look a bit more like a car again.

IMG_20190822_185712.thumb.jpg.676a8e6e8f948f2227be1571992313b8.jpg

IMG_20190822_184042.thumb.jpg.996fbb7a716736a84ab36fd833bd056b.jpg

IMG_20190822_184519.thumb.jpg.ce1aeed50804ef6b97725b61af164979.jpg

Got a bit of overspray to remove from the rear tyres.  I did initially mask these off, but having to move the car back and forth during painting made that awkward.

IMG_20190822_184605.thumb.jpg.da7f55537ab125ea3a8c8a98a09d8857.jpg

The little "nick" by the offside tail light (bit of masking tape had peeled away creating a paint shadow) has been touched in by hand now.

Annoyingly, when I spilled a bit of paint (actually the jar of thinners I'd been using to clean the spray gun) early on in the process I managed to spill that *in* to the offside headlight.  So that will need to be changed at some point...as I don't rate my chances of getting a paint run off the reflector without wrecking the silvering.  On the plus side, the lights were dirt cheap.

Really need to get a new set of number plates ordered as well as they have both lost about 95% of their reflective backing.

very awesome stuff :) 

40 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Really need to get a new set of number plates ordered as well as they have both lost about 95% of their reflective backing.

im not 100% sure what sort plates TPA would of had originally, luckily REV is still on her orignal plates so I have a good idea what Invacars from about that time would of worn, but I dont have much for 1973 AC Model 70's

invacar2.jpg

I do have this I think fairly period picture of UPB262M, maybe the Number plate gurus can tell us what it is exactly, and then you can get a set made up for TPA :)

(I still wonder where the above picture of UPB262M is from exactly, I know where I found it on the internet, but they dont say where they got the picture from)

Wouldn't surprise me at all if these are the original plates.  They're matched to each other and are extremely weathered...hence now being transparent.

I'm not kidding...they are honestly transparent!

IMG_20180622_204214.thumb.jpg.85e57dfc642867cc05f2b192b549ec45.jpg

Don't think I've seen a plate do this before.

The front one I've sprayed the back of with white paint so the blue doesn't show through so much.  The rear has delaminated enough though I dare not do that.  They're really fit for nothing but scrap though (well no... they'll go on the wall in the garage obviously).

Given the fact that acrylic plates are so much cheaper I imagine they would have made use of them whenever stock allowed.  As AC were producing things other than the Model 70 it wouldn't surprise me if they switched over while Invacar might have continued using up their existing stock of older style plates for longer.

Will probably just go with another generic plate as was originally fitted, though I would by lying if I said the pressed ally style like REV has didn't have some appeal too.  They're fluffing expensive though as I recall.

Either way I'll need to order them in as that's the only option for getting the correct typeface...and I'll be damned if I'm putting post-2001 typeface plates on!

interesting :) did they have acrylic plates in 1973? I figured the plate style would of been some sort of pressed ally or some sort of backing with raised lettering

again one for the Number plate gurus like @MorrisItalSLX or such :) (but TPAs plates always looked fairly modern to me)

and heres a picture of UPB262M from more recently, it looks like she retained her original plates

$_87.JPG

she is 370~ cars ahead of TPA, so a good question is TPA style of plates something thats newer or older then whats UPB?

side note I did a bit of research the other day and the TPA-M block is I think the second to first M suffix block :)

(I THINK there would of been a short block before it but im not sure, they switched to M reg on the 1st august 1973, and TPA-M block starts at TPA581M which was first registered around the 20th of august I think, block ending with TPA780M for those wondering)