Zel's Motoring Adventures...Peugeot, Renault, Rover, Trabant, Invacar & A Sinclair C5 - 16/03 - Trabant (hopefully) MOT Ready...

Zelandeth

48 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Your GP is a shambles, they might as well direct you to google it.

Yup!

Even before COVID arrived the average waiting time for an appointment was around 8 weeks.   Their repeat prescription system is beyond a joke and they are generally the least organised organisation I have ever come across.

I'm saying that having worked for local government for eight years...

My GP herself isn't *too* bad, just massively, massively, massively overloaded.  Our surgery is at something like 175% capacity...and they've just built about another 75 homes within 100 metres of it...on green belt land, but that's another rant.

The repeat prescription system is a bundle of laughs...it won't let you order anything more than 7 days before you're due to run out.  Waiting time for it to be processed, signed then physically (I kid you not) carried next door to the pharmacy and the prescription dispensed?  10 days on a *really* good week.  Usually 14 day give or take.

Every single time I have to reorder my antidepressants I have to chase it.  Every single time.

NHS England have a massively different approach to pain management to NHS Scotland too...their advice to you unless you can tick about three very specific boxes is essentially "Go home and take some paracetamol."

Not what you want to discover the hard way right after moving 450 miles south.

@Zelandeth I am signed up for EMIS patient access. I can have ; book appointments, order repeat prescriptions (I get a text when its ready, then go and get it from my designated pharmacy. There are alternative actions, such as  repeats by the pharmacy), see my medical record, get medical advice and other things through it. Easy to register, and most GP practises are members.   

https://www.emishealth.com/products/emis-web/emis-web-for-primary-care/patient-access/ 

https://www.patientaccess.com/

I believe the thoughts these days are not to bind up someone who has broken ribs, but to let them heal naturally. I knew of someone who broke 3 ribs after a fell (!) walking fall. They would not bandage him, but he found a mans corset, lightly fitted, relieved it for some weeks until healed.  

https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=active&sxsrf=ALeKk02IJMnhX8JWMdmGkv0mjXp9AlPZeg:1625202392790&q=Male+corset+for+posture&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi-qb3azsPxAhWdQEEAHZSEDJAQ1QIwInoECBgQAQ

7 hours ago, bobdisk said:

@Zelandeth I am signed up for EMIS patient access. I can have ; book appointments, order repeat prescriptions (I get a text when its ready, then go and get it from my designated pharmacy. There are alternative actions, such as  repeats by the pharmacy), see my medical record, get medical advice and other things through it. Easy to register, and most GP practises are members.   

https://www.emishealth.com/products/emis-web/emis-web-for-primary-care/patient-access/ 

https://www.patientaccess.com/

I believe the thoughts these days are not to bind up someone who has broken ribs, but to let them heal naturally. I knew of someone who broke 3 ribs after a fell (!) walking fall. They would not bandage him, but he found a mans corset, lightly fitted, relieved it for some weeks until healed.  

https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=active&sxsrf=ALeKk02IJMnhX8JWMdmGkv0mjXp9AlPZeg:1625202392790&q=Male+corset+for+posture&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi-qb3azsPxAhWdQEEAHZSEDJAQ1QIwInoECBgQAQ

Sadly our GP aren't members of that scheme.  They won't even let the local pharmacy next door handle repeats - everything *has* to be submitted through their web portal or physically handed in to them.

1 hour ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

you may order a repeat prescription upto 10 working days before due date

this was what i had to work to when working for the pod*

*prescription ordering department

I've had that discussion with them...and they will put it through if you phone them (as if you can ever get through)/turn up at the door, but the web system just automatically rejects it.  "It's just the way the system works, there's nothing we can do about it..." apparently.

Nothing much to report today, not really doing anything practical as I'm still quite broken.

The replacement replacement oil pressure switch has finally turned up (ordered on June 6th... getting fed up with this theme now) so should be able to get that fitted soon.

IMG_20210630_113222.thumb.jpg.a1e9807688b1f08a2b60d26cc6614fee.jpg

New oil pressure switch fitted.

IMG_20210705_161748.thumb.jpg.137b719bde0b4ab4ff99fe0deecbfa4e.jpg

Sadly this hasn't fixed the oil leak (well, it's helped) as precisely as I expected it seems to be coming from the crankshaft oil seal.  It's not a major leak though so honestly I'm not worrying too much about it.

I had to run over to Northampton today to drop a couple of things off.  That's about 25 miles each way from here... obvious choice of transportation.

IMG_20210705_150309.thumb.jpg.600eb9d8614d8406c3b0faf34d3273c7.jpg

This little car never fails to make me smile.  Really does far better on the open road than she has any right to.

We did have the first failure of the year though - albeit a minor one.  This happened when I pulled the door closed.

IMG_20210705_161708.thumb.jpg.e766d4487413a8aed9bec0f3d9ad1d39.jpg

I think the solution to this is basically going to be to pull it out and smear a shedload of Sikaflex into the join between the inner and outer door skins where they overlap.  This issue dates back to the stinking great hole in the inner door skin above the latch.

That panel takes quite a beating as it's the only thing the door pull is attached to and this door takes quite a slam to close.

Not going to complain really, as failures go this is a minor inconvenience.  Held me up all of 30 seconds while I coerced the two bits of door back into their respective places.

There is definitely news on the fleet though... namely that someone has spoken up who wants the Jag.  My former flatmate back up north who has long had a Jag obsession.  Keeping the car "in the family" so to speak would make me exceedingly happy.  This won't be happening immediately as they need to move a car on first, but it's the start of a plan.

If I can make this work...we might have some changes soon.

• Zelandeth changed the title to Zel's Motoring Adventures...Jag, Citroens, Mercedes & AC Model 70 - 05/07 - Minor Niggles & Possible Fleet News...
11 hours ago, MT606 said:

any time you can get in n out of northampton in one piece or without wanting to kill any of the fuckers is a win......

To be honest the drivers there seemed downright polite and courteous compared the the local antics I'm used to around here!

11 hours ago, MT606 said:

you sure you went to NH? ;-)

Pretty sure!

Other than in London itself I don't think I've ever driven anywhere that has a greater concentration of impatient, aggressive and selectively blind drivers as Milton Keynes.  With the possible exception of Chicago in rush hour...Miami wasn't far off either.

It has been confirmed that there is a good home available locally for the Xantia...so I'm going to properly kick the ball rolling to see how the logistics of getting the car which will be taking its place will unfold. 

She's a good car and with a bit of time spent will be an excellent one.  Just got to that classic mid 90s car stage where there are quite a lot of little jobs that need doing and I'm really struggling to find the enthusiasm, especially using the car more or less daily.  Having twice had issues recently with dead NOS parts left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth too I guess.  Plus with the best will in the world to the designers, the Xantia is a fiddly car to work on...ten times better than the XM, but it's still annoying when you're trying to use it daily.

Taking a step backwards a few years for the next car.  I'm just far more comfortable with 80s cars where maintenance is concerned.  Plus it's allowing me to tick one of the big items off my list that I've always wanted to have a proper shot of.  Plus ticks a few additional practicality boxes which is a bonus.

14 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Taking a step backwards a few years for the next car.  I'm just far more comfortable with 80s cars where maintenance is concerned.  Plus it's allowing me to tick one of the big items off my list that I've always wanted to have a proper shot of.  Plus ticks a few additional practicality boxes which is a bonus.

will be sad to see the Jag and especially the Xantia go, given how long thats been around for relatively speaking

but I look forward to seeing what replaces them I know you always get something good :) 

im guessing the page number this thread is currently on is NOT a clue given how you say it will tick a few practicality boxes? LOL

If I am guessing, I wanna say something Volvo? :) 

1821114519_ImagefromiOS(20).thumb.jpg.43b62a97493cd4b9f5b046782295a052.jpg

20 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

will be sad to see the Jag and especially the Xantia go, given how long thats been around for relatively speaking

but I look forward to seeing what replaces them I know you always get something good :) 

im guessing the page number this thread is currently on is NOT a clue given how you say it will tick a few practicality boxes? LOL

If I am guessing, I wanna say something Volvo? :) 

1821114519_ImagefromiOS(20).thumb.jpg.43b62a97493cd4b9f5b046782295a052.jpg

Fun though a Fiat 126 would be, no!  If I were to get a Fiat going forward it would either be a Coupe, late classic Panda or Tempra.

Not a Volvo, though the models origins go back to about the same era as the roots of the one pictured above.

Just trying to wrangle some logistics so that the collection mission has as great a chance of going smoothly as possible.

Memories of the very Vice Grip Garage like antics when I picked up the Lada have made me somewhat more cautious than I used to be!

TPA was about again today.

IMG_20210709_150535.thumb.jpg.0fa02afa20fbb0de27f6be9435b72bde.jpg

Uneventful trip, though between running later than I'd planned and trying to outrun some very ominous looking weather I decided it was about time we tested something out - how would she handle the motorway?

Answer?  Absolutely bloody fine.  Thrums along quite happily at 60, and the smoother road surface makes it seem positively relaxed compared to the A45 on the way out.

Didn't find I got blown around too much, only vehicle which required any actual correction for was a coach which did shove me a bit to one side...but not badly so.

Being absolutely honest, she holds speed at 60 better than the van.  Doesn't feel intimidating at all which is nice.  While I'd done these speeds before this was by far the longest I'd ever held her at 60 so I was keeping a careful eye on the temperature - didn't budge from 155-165C, so absolutely no worries there - nice to see given that cruising at speed wasn't ever really on the requirements list when she was designed.

I'd always been quite hesitant to take her on the motorway and had taken twice as long to get a few places because of that, but honestly I've zero worry about using it again...only proviso is I wouldn't want to try it on a windy day...that would probably be terrifying.

If I do ever embark on my round country trip knowing that motorways aren't terrifying will definitely be a bonus as trying to avoid them entirely during that would be a real pain.

Regarding the new purchase I've come up with a plan of attack.  The one known mechanical issue it has currently is a brake caliper which - occasionally - sticks.  Probably be fine...but having quite a long drive home I'd rather keep Murphy's Law at bay.  I've decided that I'm going to order a new caliper (well probably two actually as if one is playing up the other will probably cause issues in the future), and depending on the type of fitting, possibly the flexible lines as well.  With that, a decent selection of fittings and some brake line so if we need to we can just change it.  Our first stopover point will be roughly an hour from the collection point so hopefully that will give us a decent bead on how the car is behaving.  I'd rather not change a caliper in a car park, but if we need to we will be equipped to do so!

Was very glad to hand the keys to this horrible modern mess back this morning.

IMG_20210712_084729.thumb.jpg.65d4c1564452d63eb6aed693c9f7b8ba.jpg

IMG_20210711_214030.thumb.jpg.dad46301ef8262d336cb986ce9c30347.jpg

Horrible, horrible thing to drive.  Though it has reminded me that I keep meaning to get a set of wide angle blind spot mirrors for my van as they are really nice to have.

Never driven a modern Transit I didn't hate.  Really would like to try an 80s one to see how it compares to my Merc one day.  Far prefer that to a modern Sprinter, but I'd take a Sprinter over this thing any day of the week.

Having been helping a friend move house all weekend I'm quite, quite broken just now and likely will be for a few days.

I was determined to do *something* though and got as far as ticking one item off TPA's 2000 mile service (we're within 150 miles, figure it doesn't all need to be done on the dot), checking the spark plugs.  Reading the plugs can tell you a lot about the health of an engine so I was curious to see what they looked like.  These have been in this engine since back when I revived it still fitted to KPL, and have since done just a smidge under 2000 miles.

Nearside:

IMG_20210712_162446.thumb.jpg.ed2c53d34ffc820bf3837613f058cb98.jpg

Offside:

IMG_20210712_163920.thumb.jpg.039cd035b42e46aee45ee0c69a81bc45.jpg

Nothing concerning there I feel.  Gap was still perfect so they were put straight back in - will have another look in another thousand miles.

Just waiting for some feedback from one of my housemates at the moment but hoping we'll have a date in the diary to make the trip to pick up the new car today.  Will be at a weekend - just need to confirm which ones we're available and figure out when that lines up with the diary of the seller.

• Zelandeth changed the title to Zel's Motoring Adventures...Jag, Citroens, Mercedes & AC Model 70 - 12/07 - Starting Invacar 2000 Mile Check over...
On 10/07/2021 at 00:13, Zelandeth said:

TPA was about again today.

IMG_20210709_150535.thumb.jpg.0fa02afa20fbb0de27f6be9435b72bde.jpg

Uneventful trip, though between running later than I'd planned and trying to outrun some very ominous looking weather I decided it was about time we tested something out - how would she handle the motorway?

Answer?  Absolutely bloody fine.  Thrums along quite happily at 60, and the smoother road surface makes it seem positively relaxed compared to the A45 on the way out.

Didn't find I got blown around too much, only vehicle which required any actual correction for was a coach which did shove me a bit to one side...but not badly so.

Being absolutely honest, she holds speed at 60 better than the van.  Doesn't feel intimidating at all which is nice.  While I'd done these speeds before this was by far the longest I'd ever held her at 60 so I was keeping a careful eye on the temperature - didn't budge from 155-165C, so absolutely no worries there - nice to see given that cruising at speed wasn't ever really on the requirements list when she was designed.

I'd always been quite hesitant to take her on the motorway and had taken twice as long to get a few places because of that, but honestly I've zero worry about using it again...only proviso is I wouldn't want to try it on a windy day...that would probably be terrifying.

If I do ever embark on my round country trip knowing that motorways aren't terrifying will definitely be a bonus as trying to avoid them entirely during that would be a real pain.

Regarding the new purchase I've come up with a plan of attack.  The one known mechanical issue it has currently is a brake caliper which - occasionally - sticks.  Probably be fine...but having quite a long drive home I'd rather keep Murphy's Law at bay.  I've decided that I'm going to order a new caliper (well probably two actually as if one is playing up the other will probably cause issues in the future), and depending on the type of fitting, possibly the flexible lines as well.  With that, a decent selection of fittings and some brake line so if we need to we can just change it.  Our first stopover point will be roughly an hour from the collection point so hopefully that will give us a decent bead on how the car is behaving.  I'd rather not change a caliper in a car park, but if we need to we will be equipped to do so!

lovely to hear how well TPA is handling these days :) (I hope REV goes as well TPA does!)

even tho no one quite believes me when I tell them I know of an Invacar that will quite happily buzz up to 70Mph! 

I think we need some video footage to put the "non believers" to rest LOL 

BTW I noticed in a post of yours elsewhere that you are still a little bit concerned about grumpy police officers deciding to think they know the laws that govern these vehicles better then we do

where you mentioned wanting to print off some paperwork to have to hand in TPA that cleared up the legality of these vehicles on motorways etc should anyone decide to question it

so I figured you will want to have this to hand https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200708/cmselect/cmtran/460/460we02.htm

specifically this section, which clearly defines what is and is not an invalid carriage for the Road traffic act etc

image.png

which as you said in the post elsewhere and as I have mentioned in my thread, is why the V5 for any sort of invalid carriage, invalid tricycle, or invalid car,

specifically says "invalid vehicle" on it and then lists an unladen weight

which as above is then what determines what the vehicle is with regards to road rules etc

its also mentioned in the governments know your traffic signs PDF amusingly

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519129/know-your-traffic-signs.pdf

image.png

11 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Good stuff. My biggest issue with Invacars on the motorway, other than the threat of wind, is blind spots. I've fitted a couple of small blind spot mirrors to TWC because the over-the-shoulder vision, so important for changing lanes, is absolutely non-existent.

Interesting, can't say I noticed that being too dire.  Not great but not too bad.  I wonder if the slight difference in driving position because of my seat has a part to play there.  Difficult to say without having them next to each other to compare.

I do have to admit that the wide angle mirrors on the Transit over the weekend were the one good thing I had to say about it - definitely something I'd like to add to my van.

It's looking like our collection mission will actually be out on Friday after/back on Saturday.  Just when my lift is available!

18 minutes ago, R1152 said:

Really? The last one of those I saw was in a scrapyard probably 15 years ago. 

Real taxman's special, that one. 

Have to admit not being a BMW guy I pretty much ignored it beyond looking at the badge, the lowered suspension, big exhaust and MSport alloys, looking back at the badge and sighing internally.  Should have looked to see if it had that really scratchy cloth interior they used on the low end models...

After a downright epic amount of faffing around because of people changing their minds about how they felt over the potential risk factors of travelling over the weekend we've come to a compromise and things are now actually organised.  Hotel is booked, and I've specifically gone for the non-refundable option because it eliminates the potential for any more moving of the goalposts.

Will be dropping the Xantia off at her new home tomorrow evening.  Really feel bad that I won't have the opportunity to give the car a proper valet beforehand as I always like to do.  Just know I won't have time.

We'll be leaving early Saturday morning, hopefully back by dinner time on Sunday.

A while ago I was kindly donated a set of stainless steel Mercedes wheel trims planned to go on the van, but as the wheels are too deeply dished they didn't fit.  So they got stuffed into the garage and got forgotten about.  Until someone asked me if I still had them...cue some properly precarious rummaging in the garage.  First three were fairly easily found and were more or less where I remembered them being.  Once I actually got *to* them extraction was easy enough.

IMG_20210715_150530.thumb.jpg.fee3348f5bd426884de7e57a8c9fa1ea.jpg

The fourth one eluded me for a good fifteen or twenty minutes until I spotted where it was hiding.

IMG_20210715_151126.thumb.jpg.e5484a2e54c5ce4a59d25113c5748a4b.jpg

What on *earth* was going through my tiny mind when I put that there?!?  Even more so, why the heck didn't I move it when I stuck that insulation panel there (which I then buried in acrylic lighting diffusers).

Thankfully I just managed to slip it out without too badly disturbing the structural integrity of the stack.  Success, all four trims extracted and ready to be passed on to actually be used by someone rather than gathering dust in my garage.

IMG_20210715_151239.thumb.jpg.98076bfe3f1fbe6b945b923288109c6d.jpg

Will need to get into that mountain of junk tomorrow anyway as I want to extract the various Xantia specific parts tomorrow so they can go with the car...no point in me holding on to them, though I'll keep hold of a stock of LHM and the flushing oil.

Be nice to actually get a bit of stuff out of the garage for a change!

• Zelandeth changed the title to Zel's Motoring Adventures...Jag, Citroens, Mercedes & AC Model 70 - 16/07 - Collection Mission Starts Saturday Morning...

That's the Activa dropped off at her new home.  She's staying within the forum and is in very good hands, the new custodians will make themselves known in due course.

I'll absolutely definitely miss that car and will without doubt regret in some ways selling it.  I think it's probably fair to say that she's the best car I've ever owned - the only other one which I would put in contention would be my last Saab.  She was also a cracking car all round too and is one I really miss to this day.

IMGP1875.thumb.jpg.e30b28637c7ccbde626647d8ac233b4a.jpg

I've said it before and will again.  If you ever get a chance to buy a classic Saab, do it.  They're a car that I think any classic car enthusiast should spend some time with.  Even if you don't mesh with the car and end up keeping it long term they're such interesting cars for it to be worthwhile.

So... tomorrow.

[] Hotel booking: check.

[] Insurance: Check.  After an almighty faff.  Turns out that a lot of the short term insurance companies have altered their conditions since last time I used them - and now have being in full time employment as one of their requirements.  Aviva thankfully haven't, but required buying a full week's worth.  Was too late in the day to switch it over from one car to the other, hence the short term solution.

[] Route planning: Done.  To be fair 95% of the journey is identical to a trip we can make with our eyes closed (metaphorically of course) so that's pretty minimal.

[] Tools & supplies: Packed.  Socket set, selection of spanners, cordless drill/impact driver, multimeter, reel of wire and a couple of screwdrivers.  Supplies wise we're taking brake fluid, ATF and will grab some oil and coolant en route.  Only thing I'm making a point of adding is my brake caliper piston retraction tool as we know the car has recently been having issues with a sticky caliper (though this has hopefully been resolved now).

This is all stuff I would have loved to have when I went to get the Lada back in 2016 and would have made my life way easier, but using public transport that time limited my capacity greatly.  Having a "support car" makes things a lot easier!  Trying not to go overboard but to also have most eventualities (that can reasonably be resolved at the roadside) covered.  Oh, yes there is duct tape in there too of course!

Hoping to be on the road as near as possible to 0800...First time I'll have been a passenger on a long run in forever... let's see if I can make any interesting spots along the way.

59 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

That's the Activa dropped off at her new home.  She's staying within the forum and is in very good hands, the new custodians will make themselves known in due course.

I'll absolutely definitely miss that car and will without doubt regret in some ways selling it.  I think it's probably fair to say that she's the best car I've ever owned - the only other one which I would put in contention would be my last Saab.  She was also a cracking car all round too and is one I really miss to this day.

IMGP1875.thumb.jpg.e30b28637c7ccbde626647d8ac233b4a.jpg

I've said it before and will again.  If you ever get a chance to buy a classic Saab, do it.  They're a car that I think any classic car enthusiast should spend some time with.  Even if you don't mesh with the car and end up keeping it long term they're such interesting cars for it to be worthwhile.

So... tomorrow.

[] Hotel booking: check.

[] Insurance: Check.  After an almighty faff.  Turns out that a lot of the short term insurance companies have altered their conditions since last time I used them - and now have being in full time employment as one of their requirements.  Aviva thankfully haven't, but required buying a full week's worth.  Was too late in the day to switch it over from one car to the other, hence the short term solution.

[] Route planning: Done.  To be fair 95% of the journey is identical to a trip we can make with our eyes closed (metaphorically of course) so that's pretty minimal.

[] Tools & supplies: Packed.  Socket set, selection of spanners, cordless drill/impact driver, multimeter, reel of wire and a couple of screwdrivers.  Supplies wise we're taking brake fluid, ATF and will grab some oil and coolant en route.  Only thing I'm making a point of adding is my brake caliper piston retraction tool as we know the car has recently been having issues with a sticky caliper (though this has hopefully been resolved now).

This is all stuff I would have loved to have when I went to get the Lada back in 2016 and would have made my life way easier, but using public transport that time limited my capacity greatly.  Having a "support car" makes things a lot easier!  Trying not to go overboard but to also have most eventualities (that can reasonably be resolved at the roadside) covered.  Oh, yes there is duct tape in there too of course!

Hoping to be on the road as near as possible to 0800...First time I'll have been a passenger on a long run in forever... let's see if I can make any interesting spots along the way.

once more am sad to see the Xantia go but glad to hear its staying in the fold :) 

and I am very much looking forward to seeing/reading about the collection caper for its replacement tomorrow! :) 

your not going through Yorkshire are you? would be amusing if you run into one of @adam1db's Model 70's out on a run or something :)  

Stuff...

IMG_20210717_073926.thumb.jpg.a645f6599e43ef6f2eb3d95f948e3256.jpg

IMG_20210717_074031.thumb.jpg.f44a5ef5cb8d7e68435bf959695706a0.jpg

All loaded up and we're underway.

IMG_20210717_080035.thumb.jpg.39263b76261261b2c59e0bbdb671ca5e.jpg

Suffice to say I'm looking forward to the transport for the return leg more than the outward... though this one does manage to be at least reasonable comfortable - though whether I'll still be saying that after an hour remains to be seen.

The cruise control is broken though - less than 500 miles into life.

• Zelandeth changed the title to Zel's Motoring Adventures...Jag, Citroens, Mercedes & AC Model 70 - 17/07 - Collection Mission Underway...