Zel's Motoring Adventures...Peugeot, Renault, Rover, Trabant, Invacar & A Sinclair C5 - 25/03 - Trabant back in action...

Zelandeth

Right... let's write that all again because the editor did that maddening thing where it decided that it would only overtype one bit of text nowhere near to where the cursor is thing following adding a quote.  I like this forum, but God I hate this editor.

8 hours ago, bobdisk said:

@LightBulbFunThere is a large relay somewhere to operate the starter side of the Dynastart. It could be the contacts in that. I did notice a voltage regulator in REV positioned on the chassis near the rear offside light. It looks like the Bosch one on the Daf. That has a conventional starter and dynamo, so they are probably different types, but in the same box.  Those are places to look for REVs charging problems.  @Zelandeth Has TPA got something similar?  It will have something like white paint as a sealer on top over the cover screw, covering the points. Before trying to adjust it, try cleaning the points and see if the voltage on load improves. It will have the Bosch type number on the cover. I had an awful job with the Dafs regulator but got it right in the end.  

All of the engine electrical kit in TPA lives down in this corner.  Single solenoid and a Bosch voltage regulator.  I can't remember if there are really any external extras for the Dynastart beyond what you'd have for a conventional generator and starter or if there are separate connections on the device itself you would hook up the same as though they were separate units.

IMG_20211123_142052.thumb.jpg.e0877be0dfe2dee267f1e2fbe542fb22.jpg

The black box under the regulator simply contains the ignition condenser and a remote engine start control.

4 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

ah the starter solenoid on REV is fine thankfully :) just her battery does not have enough charge to turn over the dynastart/engine hence the Clunk is all you get without a jump pack! since the solenoid engages but the voltage just drops off a cliff,

although I will say on a separate note id like to check her Dynastart brushes just for peace of mind since they have never been checked in my ownership I dont think

indeed its a Bosch 20A voltage regulator, you can still get em new even :) https://prokschi.at/bosch-regler-20a-14v.html

not cheap mind! one of the interesting things on that web page is it says its a solid state unit made to look like the old mechanical units, but question I wonder is how do you adjust it?

or is it being a solid state unit, able to provide charging/14V over a wider engine rev range without needing to adjust anything? 

I wouldn't expect to see any adjustment options on a solid state regulator.  The only reason the mechanical ones have it is to compensate for physical variations from the manufacturing process and to adjust for physical wear.  With fully closed loop electronic control that just becomes unnecessary.

You really want to get that battery charged as soon as possible.  There's absolutely nothing worse for a lead acid battery than sitting in a discharged state.  I know it's not exactly a pleasant prospect hauling it up the stairs to the flat, but it's going to need to be done sooner or later.

Without a diagram in front of me it's a bit tricky to make any judgement on what's going on.  That said, while step 1 is always to check for any obvious loose or damaged wires/connectors, step 2 on anything with points is always to clean them...so I'd do that and see where we are before delving too much deeper.

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

TWC also notably doesn't really charge until I'm over 40mph. I do find myself switching down to sidelights in queues...

Useful to know...may just be the way they are then as it sounds like you're experiencing exactly the same. 

I do think my voltmeter reads a little artificially low too.  It's tied into the main switched ignition circuit, and there's quite a lot of voltage drop there at the best of times.  I seriously doubt the voltage at the battery terminals is actually dropping to sub 10V every time I brake!  Getting some relays to take the heavy loads for things like the indicators and brake lights off the ignition switched circuit is something I'd like to do one day.  There's far more current passing through the ignition switch than I'd like.

I think Dynastarts are always going to be a bit of a compromise, given they do two different actions. But it's worth noting that my 2CV also doesn't charge at tickover and needs higher revs to put voltage back into the battery. Not as bad as the Invacar as it'll happily charge at say 30mph, but charging has come a long way.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

All of the engine electrical kit in TPA lives down in this corner.  Single solenoid and a Bosch voltage regulator.  I can't remember if there are really any external extras for the Dynastart beyond what you'd have for a conventional generator and starter or if there are separate connections on the device itself you would hook up the same as though they were separate units.

from what I can tell on the electrical side of things, to me it looks like the Starter and Dynamo functions of the Dynastart are treated as if they where separate units, the Bosch regulator is just there for Dynamo functions, and then theres a separate starter solenoid as on any other car with a starter motor, for engaging the starter motor functions of the dynastart (in-fact I believe the Dynastart itself has separate windings for starting vs charging)

heres a general wiring digram for those curious 

image.png

and theres detailed info on the regulator in the workshop manual :) 

DHSS Workshop Manual For The Model 70 Three Wheeler(OCR).pdf

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

I wouldn't expect to see any adjustment options on a solid state regulator.  The only reason the mechanical ones have it is to compensate for physical variations from the manufacturing process and to adjust for physical wear.  With fully closed loop electronic control that just becomes unnecessary.

You really want to get that battery charged as soon as possible.  There's absolutely nothing worse for a lead acid battery than sitting in a discharged state.  I know it's not exactly a pleasant prospect hauling it up the stairs to the flat, but it's going to need to be done sooner or later.

Without a diagram in front of me it's a bit tricky to make any judgement on what's going on.  That said, while step 1 is always to check for any obvious loose or damaged wires/connectors, step 2 on anything with points is always to clean them...so I'd do that and see where we are before delving too much deeper.

Yeah! I really must do something about the battery, but not only is it 15Kg I have to lug upstairs but I have to actually remove it from the car first ! REV actually does have all her factory battery clamps/mounting hardware :) so im a bit worried at how much of a faff it will be to remove and then refit! since for once its actually properly fitted in place with clamps nuts and bolts rather then just a ratchet strap or something such! and it took me about 1 and a half hours just to fit a battery earth strap!

I think tomorrow or the day after depending on im feeling etc I might have a go at it...

Out and about again today, and we went on the motorway again on the way home as I ran out of patience with the traffic on the A45.

This really drives home something - and that's how utterly and completely fscked the roads around here are.  It feels so, so smooth going up the M1. 

Got a 60mph limit around our area just now and on the way back from Northampton everyone seemed to be dawdling...so we ended up spending a good few minutes sailing past everyone in the overtaking lane.  Imagine that got a few puzzled looks.  About 60 does seem to be where she's happiest.

I've not noticed any real issues with over-the-shoulder visibility, so I think that must be down to having a different seat fitted.  I think I sit slightly higher up and a little further forward than I would with the factory seat. 

Definitely need to adjust the brakes again though, we've definitely got more free play than we should have.  Which isn't that surprising given how long ago it was last done and how hard the brakes get worked around here.

Time for another oil & filter change for the S123. 

IMG_20211125_135545.thumb.jpg.11b08a77ed8d60cfaf19f156e3d7be29.jpg

Had aimed for 500 miles but missed by a bit.

IMG_20211125_124957.thumb.jpg.babca3d137bcd8e05851b4cf4345d088.jpg

Still got some glitter in the drain pan sadly.

IMG_20211125_141442.thumb.jpg.f597241f2c761edc4602249e20fee985.jpg

Will continue to monitor, it'll take quite a while to flush it all out in its entirety after all and there definitely doesn't seem to be anywhere near as much as last time round.

This was meant to have been posted yesterday evening, but apparently it never got saved.  Not sure if my connection glitched or what.  I was wondering for the last hour if I'd accidently posted it in the wrong thread!

Jag is booked in for its MOT on Monday morning.

I've barely even looked at the car save for one service this year and just sorting the alternator...which was playing up when it was tested last year!

Things I've noticed over the last couple of days I need to sort:

[] Windscreen washers are MIA.  Can smell screenwash and hear the pump running so hopefully just a split hose. 

[] Nearside fog light is intermittent.  It came on when I thumped it, but you can bet it will play up during the test.

[] Nearside headlight appears to be pointing at the ground about a foot in front of the car.

That's without going looking for issues!  I've got a thousand things to do tomorrow as well, so trying to find time before it gets dark will be a challenge.

Once it's got a fresh test on it will just be a matter of waiting for the new owner to have a day free to collect it I think.

At least I know where its history file is.  I'm still missing a stack of paperwork the best part of 6" thick between the van and the Xantia somewhere...which is really hacking me off as I know where it was prior to having to do a massive tidy up earlier this year.  It's most likely in one corner of the loft - but inaccessible without clearing a huge pile of other things out the way.  It's really annoying me though.

• Zelandeth changed the title to Zel's Motoring Adventures...Jag, Citroen, Mercs, AC Model 70 & A Sinclair C5 - 27/11 - Jag MOT on Monday...
1 hour ago, 2cvspecial said:

where did xantia go 

That is now part of the Six-Cylinder fleet, so just moved a few miles up the road.

This took far more work than it should have.

IMG_20211128_134814.thumb.jpg.85c28033d5ece7450d926427c4896e46.jpg

We have working windscreen washers again.  Wound up having to blow everything out backwards with compressed air to get the gunge out of the lines.  Guess that's largely down to the car having not seen a huge amount of use this year.

The fog lights were just a case of classic dirty Lucas lamp holders.  Kind of expect this as the rear fogs very rarely see use aside from for the MOT.

IMG_20211128_143328.thumb.jpg.627c84024300ad495983354cb27d0ffd.jpg

Headlight aim was just the height adjuster having completely unscrewed itself, and I've sorted that and roughly adjusted it by matching to the other side on the fence over the road. 

Aside from a basic sanity check of tyres, stuff obviously hanging off etc that's it till the test tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed!

16 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

That is now part of the Six-Cylinder fleet, so just moved a few miles up the road.

This took far more work than it should have.

IMG_20211128_134814.thumb.jpg.85c28033d5ece7450d926427c4896e46.jpg

We have working windscreen washers again.  Wound up having to blow everything out backwards with compressed air to get the gunge out of the lines.  Guess that's largely down to the car having not seen a huge amount of use this year.

The fog lights were just a case of classic dirty Lucas lamp holders.  Kind of expect this as the rear fogs very rarely see use aside from for the MOT.

IMG_20211128_143328.thumb.jpg.627c84024300ad495983354cb27d0ffd.jpg

Headlight aim was just the height adjuster having completely unscrewed itself, and I've sorted that and roughly adjusted it by matching to the other side on the fence over the road. 

Aside from a basic sanity check of tyres, stuff obviously hanging off etc that's it till the test tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed!

xantia gone to another good home :)

1 hour ago, 2cvspecial said:

xantia gone to another good home :)

That was very much the thinking behind having offered it to them.  I'd have loved to keep it, but with the vagaries of PSA legacy parts supply and some of the complexities unique to the Activa it just wasn't going to continue to be viable as a daily.

Plus I had become very aware of the fact that while I loved driving it and wouldn't question any claim that it was one of the most all-round competent cars I've ever driven, I really didn't enjoy working on it.  As such I was just putting things off.  I've found this to be pretty universally true of virtually anything really made this side of around 1990, I just don't find it rewarding to do work on them. 

Would I say no to owning another Xantia one day?  Probably not.  Would probably be more like my first one though, a late XUD engined 1.9TD in mid range spec.  Dunno, just never really liked the HDi engine, for all I know on paper it's superior in every way.  They've just always felt very flat to drive to me, the XUD with the big slab of torque when it comes on boost just always feels more satisfying to me.

Well, assuming we're not told we're not allowed to own anything with a diesel engine around here before then anyway.

Well the day could have started better.

I generally try to keep the Jag clear of wet roads and especially salty ones... it's not much fun on a cold day either as the heater control logic is hopelessly senile so it's a lottery as to whether you get heat or not.  Not ideal conditions...

IMG_20211129_103214.thumb.jpg.fb8a0663ceb7d5561c90af91a5088807.jpg

The Jag agreed with me.  Turning the key produced naught but a click, starter didn't even try.  Battery flat again.  Fair enough, it's been weak for a while (demise probably hastened by having gone flat a couple of times during lockdown and when the alternator was failing).

Out with the jump leads, will jump it from the Merc.  Well I would if I could get in to it... however the driver's door lock was frozen and the passenger one doesn't work.  Cue me clambering in through the boot.  Which doesn't stay open so slammed shut on me when the stick I prop it open with fell out.

After far too much messing around we got hooked up.

IMG_20211129_103719.thumb.jpg.aa3bebedc885d5c8b3863d986c3cd7d3.jpg

Didn't even hesitate and span over about twice as fast as in my memory...which confirms to me that the battery is just past it. 

Also why I don't mess about with rubbish skinny jump leads.

IMG_20211129_104211.thumb.jpg.592eea8c9da3d25c9da6a1fb7d0f5494.jpg

The heater decided to play ball so at least I was able to demist and defrost the windows normally.

An hour later...

IMG_20211129_130426.thumb.jpg.0385cc9e43cabfe5483c7d03e76277c6.jpg

Given I'd barely even looked at the car prior to the test I'll take that result.

That could have been a lot of stress if I'd just given myself 15 minutes to get there (test station is less than a ten minute drive away), but because I gave myself half an hour and always do for anything time sensitive, was no bother to sort things out with time to spare.

Will make a run over to Costco later in the week and pick up a new battery.  Just ran out of time today.

Collection has now been arranged for the 10th/11th of December, so will be all change here around then!

• Zelandeth changed the title to Zel's Motoring Adventures...Jag, Citroen, Mercs, AC Model 70 & A Sinclair C5 - 29/11 - Jag MOT Results Are In...

Been having a bit of a ponder about the fleet as a whole today and also looking at commitments coming up both temporal and fiscal.

I am still unconvinced that the engine in the S123 has great long term health prospects.  I'm far from convinced that the rattle at higher revs isn't getting slowly worse.

I'm not doing an engine swap.  I don't have the space and am missing several bits of equipment, and would have to strip down the existing unit to transfer ancillary components and do a bunch of preventative service work in the middle of the front lawn.  1. Not fun in December, 2. My neighbours across the road (who we do get along with - only ones around us we do) already put up with enough of my nonsense.

Dropping the sump is about 80% as much work as pulling the engine, so we're not going down that road.  Plus just being completely honest, these are jobs that quite simply I do not want to do.

If someone wants to take it on as a project, two grand and it's probably yours.  Taking quite a substantial hit there, but I'm conscious that I'm selling it with a known engine problem and budgeting somewhere around a grand to sort that. 

Jag definitely needs a new battery, it's obvious having tried to charge it that we've lost a cell.  Been on charge overnight, however dim dash lights and nothing but a 1/2 second lazy churn of the starter before click-click-click.  Haven't had a chance to pick it up this week, but we'll be making a run to Costco this weekend anyway so will grab one then.

I've decided to see about getting a quote from Chevronics to sort the rear end hydraulics on the BX.  It's a fiddly job with a ramp but they know the car and the quick ways to do things.  Crawling around in my front garden trying to drop the subframe just doesn't sound like a barrel of laughs.  Plus I can get them to give the whole car a once over and provide me with a proper to do list. 

The first few web searches I found - and the checker on Tanya Batteries website all suggested that a type 096 battery is correct for the XJ-S. 

Screenshot_20211204_145439.thumb.jpg.cc0250dfd7b7ab8114b81910fb191d93.jpg

So that is what I went and picked up.

Was no point comparing to the one in the car as I knew it was well under sized - hence my "creative" solution to getting enough travel in the tie down frame to actually make it fit.

IMG_20211204_133102.thumb.jpg.756de7f83950092bdd6e93c7a1e205d8.jpg

Turns out they're speaking nonsense.  No way will a 096 fit in here, it's the best part of an inch wider than the battery tray.  D'oh!

Cue a bit of head scratching...before I nicked the battery I stuck in the BX about 8 months ago.  That's a 027 which while still a little smaller than what I imagine Jag intended (which I'm thinking now is probably a 075), is a far better fit.  It sits snugly in the tray and the tie down fits properly without needing to faff about with spacers.  Means I can actually get the lid fitted properly for the first time since I've had the car.

The battery tray in the BX is huge on account of the diesel variants so the 096 dropped in there just fine and looks like it was meant to be there - even if it's grossly overrated for a humble 1.4 petrol, but we're not going to complain.  Especially with the car not being used regularly.

I've put it on charge overnight on account of the BX sitting unused a lot, but even beforehand it span the engine over far faster than the one previously in the car ever did.  Also while out for a run the voltmeter stayed pretty much smack in the middle the whole time without sagging anywhere near as much at idle...so I think that was half our problem.  Dying battery took out a weak alternator regulator?  Or dying alternator killed the battery?  We will probably never know.

The battery that's come out definitely has a shorted cell.  Sitting rock steady on 10.8V off charge but using the calibrated battery testing spanner is still sourcing a decent chunk of current - which suggests it can also still sink a decent charge rate, which given that with a lot of kit running I can easily account for about 80% of our old 55A alternator's output in vehicle systems alone isn't going to help anything.

First thing I noticed driving out of our neighborhood...the heater was actually behaving in a sane manner.  It continued to do so for the remaining 25 mins or so I was out...and the cruise control worked first try.  Have we been fighting off odd gremlins because of a sickly battery for a while?  I know that's more of a modern car thing...but let's face it, the XJ-S in a lot of ways *is* a lot more modern than its year of production would suggest.

Need to find a thinner bit of tubing to hook up the battery vent tube (the vent on the new battery is slightly narrower than on the old one so my existing pipe doesn't fit), but should be able to call this job done tomorrow. 

Edit: Just noticed the one I took out the Jag looks to be labelled as a 027 as well... definitely isn't the same size as the one from the BX, which is at least an inch or so taller.  Hmm.

33 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

The first few web searches I found - and the checker on Tanya Batteries website all suggested that a type 096 battery is correct for the XJ-S. 

Screenshot_20211204_145439.thumb.jpg.cc0250dfd7b7ab8114b81910fb191d93.jpg

So that is what I went and picked up.

Was no point comparing to the one in the car as I knew it was well under sized - hence my "creative" solution to getting enough travel in the tie down frame to actually make it fit.

IMG_20211204_133102.thumb.jpg.756de7f83950092bdd6e93c7a1e205d8.jpg

Turns out they're speaking nonsense.  No way will a 096 fit in here, it's the best part of an inch wider than the battery tray.  D'oh!

Cue a bit of head scratching...before I nicked the battery I stuck in the BX about 8 months ago.  That's a 027 which while still a little smaller than what I imagine Jag intended (which I'm thinking now is probably a 075), is a far better fit.  It sits snugly in the tray and the tie down fits properly without needing to faff about with spacers.  Means I can actually get the lid fitted properly for the first time since I've had the car.

The battery tray in the BX is huge on account of the diesel variants so the 096 dropped in there just fine and looks like it was meant to be there - even if it's grossly overrated for a humble 1.4 petrol, but we're not going to complain.  Especially with the car not being used regularly.

Aya I wanged an 096 battery into my BX and I haven't had starting issues ever again, which was nice.

Well that's it.  Checked all the fluids, transferred all the spares into the boot and gave the Jag a quick interior clean.

IMG_20211210_145146.thumb.jpg.483fa062b974efcfc96de8f1cb032b1e.jpg

IMG_20211210_145123.thumb.jpg.13cab799b4783fc81e24e4ce3e2a4fde.jpg

I didn't bother with the outside given she'll be doing 400 miles plus tomorrow - so it would be pretty pointless. 

Definitely a car I will miss.  This is definitely one I'm selling because it's the sensible decision than because I want to.

Had the opportunity to actually take her out for a halfway decent run yesterday - calculated 21.7mpg.   That's not bad at all...and very much confirmation of my belief that MK is murder on economy...hence my average of 12mpg day to day round here.

• Zelandeth changed the title to Zel's Motoring Adventures...Jag, Citroen, Mercs, AC Model 70 & A Sinclair C5 - 10/12 - Jag off to a new home...

it will be sad to see the Jag go! but understandable why, I look forward to when you get her back :) 

you giving it a boot full will always be memorable that and the Xantia going round a bend, combine the sheer shove of a Jag V12 with the corning ability/grip of a Xantia Activa and im pretty sure you could do some actual bodily harm to the occupants in said hypothetical car LOL

On 20/11/2021 at 16:48, Zelandeth said:

So I actually timed a couple of 0-60 runs this afternoon when traffic was cooperatively absent so I could just boot it out of a layby.

still waiting for you to do that in TPA :)

I mean without any performance metrics how will I ever get the Model 70 added to Top Trumps! :mrgreen:

I've had confirmation now that the Jag has safely made without incident it to its new home in Aberdeenshire, achieving an average of 20.8MPG on the trip - which for a 5.3 litre V12 that's due a service ain't bad going I reckon.

Is now tucked up safely in the garage, and aside from getting a good clean over the next couple of days will likely be staying there until the spring when the roads are again free of salt.

This just looks wrong...

IMG_20211212_144425.thumb.jpg.e6c2ca97a0590e48d119e64aa4cf8380.jpg

No... it's actually a step in the right direction towards having everything actually fitting on the drive.

Short lived though as the gap will soon be filled...with a car about as close to roadworthy as the BX.  Why do I do this to myself?

Also, that Mercedes is a really long car.

In other news, I had an opportunity to let the BX have a bit of a run today.   Left it set to probably about 1700rpm while I was doing things in the vicinity.  Enough that we got everything hot enough to stop steam coming from the exhaust and hopefully help keep things happy.  Hopefully helped charge the new battery a bit as it's likely been on a shelf for a while.

IMG_20211212_145158.thumb.jpg.c242645491c440be1910d3647aa92bb4.jpg

The surprise of the day though was that the heater blower has sprung back to life... That's a huge bonus as it will really help me get the cabin dried out.  What I really need for that though is a new dessicant dehumidifier.

From what I recall the new arrival has some rust in the battery tray which is likely to have met water into the passenger footwell over the last few months...if I'm right there and I have *two* cars needing dried out, might be a good enough reason to buy a replacement for the one that died a couple of years ago.

• Zelandeth changed the title to Zel's Motoring Adventures...Citroen, Mercs, AC Model 70 & A Sinclair C5 - 10/12 - Jag Gone, new (Broken) Project Inbound Soon...

As it wasn't too windy today I decided that TPA could come out to play.

IMG_20211215_120540.thumb.jpg.26577e151ef7ab6935b0f2f54b9ad0b3.jpg

Didn't spot her tick over 14K miles during the run.

IMG_20211215_120011.thumb.jpg.d0db0475216f892e495d78ee0161b71a.jpg

Here's to many more to come.

Another 39.0 mpg fuel up today, seems to be holding pretty steady at just a hair under 40mpg, which given the age of the vehicle and the inherent losses in the CVT is perfectly reasonable I think.

30 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

As it wasn't too windy today I decided that TPA could come out to play.

IMG_20211215_120540.thumb.jpg.26577e151ef7ab6935b0f2f54b9ad0b3.jpg

Didn't spot her tick over 14K miles during the run.

IMG_20211215_120011.thumb.jpg.d0db0475216f892e495d78ee0161b71a.jpg

Here's to many more to come.

Another 39.0 mpg fuel up today, seems to be holding pretty steady at just a hair under 40mpg, which given the age of the vehicle and the inherent losses in the CVT is perfectly reasonable I think.

Awesome to see TPA out and about once more :) someone even managed to Pap you in motion at long last! :) 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/carsyoudontseeanymore/posts/3249242018730674/

image.thumb.png.1d371b93d8b8152d988ffdbf9c77bb09.png

tis a pretty cool photo and always makes me grin to see a Model 70 at speed :) 

I also noticed a few days ago you had renewed her tax for another year, the first Invacar taxed till 2023! :) 

screencapture-vehicleenquiry-service-gov-uk-VehicleFound-2021-12-16-01_19_44.thumb.png.988c12de3a4c8a4bf2d4c56723a983d2.png

Hah, nice to see a photo of her actually underway.  Wondered if that was on the motorway initially as we did come back down the M1 on the way home, but no was earlier on in the journey on the A5.

Really do hope one afternoon I can borrow Chris and Darren to follow along and get some more driving photos.  We had ideas for a few places to do that, but then 2020 happened instead!

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

We need to organise a gathering of Invacars too. Let's hope we can achieve that next year! I know Adam is still keen.

Yeah, we really do need to make that happen.  See how many different control variants we can get in one place too.

Will confuse the heck out of any passers by that's for sure.

7 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Hah, nice to see a photo of her actually underway.  Wondered if that was on the motorway initially as we did come back down the M1 on the way home, but no was earlier on in the journey on the A5.

Really do hope one afternoon I can borrow Chris and Darren to follow along and get some more driving photos.  We had ideas for a few places to do that, but then 2020 happened instead!

Its a shame you where not papped on the M1 Im pretty sure that would break the internet :) , given the amount of "these are banned from the motorways" comments let alone all the "these were banned outright" comments LOL

(especially if you where doing 70Mph+ overtaking someone!)

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

We need to organise a gathering of Invacars too. Let's hope we can achieve that next year! I know Adam is still keen.

1 minute ago, Zelandeth said:

Yeah, we really do need to make that happen.  See how many different control variants we can get in one place too.

Will confuse the heck out of any passers by that's for sure.

Yeah I think a Mass Invacar gathering would be awesome!

Well we can definitely say the SLS on the Mercedes works.  Tip run done yesterday afternoon.

Before the engine was started.

IMG_20211222_133552.thumb.jpg.66d79301d589f2fefd1394d74d11175c.jpg

Then 30 seconds later.

IMG_20211222_133710.thumb.jpg.d5b69ba3321b3b821587dccd8b98313c.jpg

Yep, that works then.

Don't want to know how much weight I had crammed in there...

I could have gone up further, but I knew if I had much more in there I'd never get everything out in the 15 minute slot they give you.  I barely managed as it was.

EDIT: Just been out to run a few errands, guess I know one job I'll be doing tomorrow.

IMG_20211223_171718.thumb.jpg.3f40f834e01b22a4429dd9398c0fed76.jpg

At least it's a 20 second job in this car.

• Zelandeth changed the title to Zel's Motoring Adventures...Citroen, Mercs, AC Model 70 & A Sinclair C5 - 23/12 - SLS Works Properly at Least...

Not much to report.

Replacing the blown headlight bulb in the Merc turned into slightly more of a headache than planned because this happened.

IMG_20211224_132122.thumb.jpg.924c7fd92f90f8443662aa2642825cef.jpg

IMG_20211224_132131.thumb.jpg.837bfe1d492238850e19260428812daf.jpg

Which required some patience and brute force to extract, got there in the end though.

IMG_20211224_132950.thumb.jpg.bea967121ec736488c2f8ad733c5042b.jpg

... However disturbing the lamp holder also killed the sidelight bulb...which I didn't have in stock.

IMG_20211224_133628.thumb.jpg.68c8eebb829a4fb05633c549e3c5da89.jpg

So had to go out to get those in.  Have now changed both headlight and sidelight bulbs so they should the fine for a while.

Had to go out today to pick up some dog food to see us through the new year - decided it was too long since the van had been out for a run so that was today's chariot.

IMG_20211229_123243.thumb.jpg.d7039f687ebc759ecab718293d07c176.jpg

Nothing else to report really... haven't been out much and haven't had time to get in the garage to do anything car related.

New car checklist:

[] Money transferred, check.

[] Insurance, sorted.  Bit more expensive than the Merc, but I expected that.

[] Address confirmed for collection.

[] Collection vehicle fuelled up, check.

...Would have had the actual owner transfer done if it weren't for the amazing automated computer system the DVLA has which only keeps office hours, so that and the tax will have to be done in the morning.

We aim to be on the road by 0900 tomorrow...updates will follow here as they happen.

• Zelandeth changed the title to Zel's Motoring Adventures...Citroen, Mercs, AC Model 70 & A Sinclair C5 - 02/01 - Collection Mission Imminent...
50 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

NOoOOOoooOOOOOoo.

Ok fair enough a major purchase.

More curious to thy new purchase, any clues?

It's something we'll likely reconsider in a year or two - we've got north of £30K worth or work needed on the garden, roof, soffit boards, heating system and floors I can think of off the top of my head... isn't home ownership fun?

Once that's sorted we'll probably seriously consider looking at a Model S, question will probably be whether it's before or after we move again...as this is all stuff needed to get the house into a sellable state.

New purchase?  Bought with head rather than heart this time...aside from my Pug 107 (which was new on an 09 plate) it's the most recent car I've ever owned.  Will hopefully be one of the useful vehicles I've ever owned.  Couldn't have wished for anything better for being able to carry the dogs around.

Largely considered to be painfully slow by many folks...but compared to the camper should be a rocket sled!

It's from a manufacturer which has only featured once in my vehicular history so far, back prior to my moving south.