Beige Bargain Bucket - £550 - Aberdeen

Supernaut

Is it not possible to swap the badge over?

The badge seems rather difficult to swap over, whereas the entire grille is held in with several clips. No tools required at all.

Today, I felt well enough to drive, so I went to the scrappy for a wander about. I found a 56 reg Mondeo Zetec with a perfect condition grille and badge. Thus:

post-19977-0-51877700-1507641375_thumb.jpg

It's subtly different to the Ghia X spec grille that came off. The 'mesh' in this grille is more open, as in fewer but larger holes.

This is also the first time I've driven it since I drilled extra holes in the air box. You wouldn't notice if you didn't know what it sounded like before, but it's just a tiny bit deeper on the induction noise without being silly. I like it. I am fully aware it probably doesn't release any extra ponies. I just wanted it to sound slightly better when I pressed the throttle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm.

post-19977-0-27276500-1508675651_thumb.jpg

Opened the driver's window earlier, when I tried to close it, it only went so far then made some crunchy noises. Wouldn't go back either.

I managed to open up the door and put the window back, but now the motor only runs a short distance in each direction then meets resistance and stops. The metal cables attached to the windows seem loose too. There are two vertical rails, one at the front of the door, one at the back. Initially the cable in the rear one was loose, but after faffing with the motor a bit, the rear one is tight and now the front one is loose. No movement from the window itself though.

Help!

It's fucked mate...

Without taking the whole lot out I can't offer any advice as I don't know these cars. Probably easier to replace the whole mech than try to fix it though.

Aye, I found this thread:

http://www.talkford.com/community/topic/156818-how-to-fix-front-electric-window/

and this part:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-FORD-MONDEO-MK-III-MK3-FRONT-RIGHT-SIDE-WINDOW-REGULATOR-/221584755370?hash=item33977b0aaa:g:MucAAOSwQJ5USi4U

Guess what I'll be doing next weekend.

Just put a full tank in the fucker, too.

Meh, it's still driveable, just can't open/close the driver's window. It's not the worst problem to have.

Well, the car is secured and weathertight for now, so my tactic is to not touch it until I'm ready to fix it.

Lucky that I walk to work!

My plan is to drive it out to the parents' farm next weekend and spend the day working on it in a barn. Hopefully it won't take all day (thread on TalkFord says a couple of hours) but I just hate working on cars outside in shitty weather.

From what I've seen inside the door and heard from the noises it's making, it seems like the cables have snapped. According to the TalkFord thread it's a fairly common thing on Mk3 Mondeos.

Fairly typical on any cable operated door tbh. I rebuilt the mech in my goona2, hence saying it's much easier to replace the lot.

Aye, seemed to be the consensus on TalkFord too. You can get a 'rebuild kit' for under £10, which is just the cables and some little plastic wheels, but a few folk said to just fork out for the whole regulator, as swapping out the whole unit is much easier and quicker.

It took me about 30mins to reassemble the mech in the goona, on the 2nd or 3rd go...

I'd stripped it down to remove the motor so I could get the window shut.

having recently looked at the same setup in my Focus cos the window had stuck , turned out the motor , cables , wheels , guides needed some lube and exercise  , I did consider going the whole new mech for the winder as opposed to a repair kit !!!

as you can see the red rust of doom was avin a go !!

post-21637-0-75789800-1508699924_thumb.jpg

Vw Golf MK5 Electric Window regulators regularly fuck up, same set up as the Mondeo by the sound of it, stupid cables & shitty disintegrating plastic parts...

What happened to good old fashioned metal/toothed window mechanisms?.....All modernz are shit etc....

Nice old Barge though...

having recently looked at the same setup in my Focus cos the window had stuck , turned out the motor , cables , wheels , guides needed some lube and exercise  , I did consider going the whole new mech for the winder as opposed to a repair kit !!!

as you can see the red rust of doom was avin a go !!

attachicon.gif20171015_163153.jpg

My one is well beyond just needing lube, going by the sounds it made and the sheer amount of loose cable there was floating around inside the door!

Nice old Barge though...

It is indeed. I've never been a big fan of Fords before this. In fact it's my first Ford. It feels very sturdy and is a very pleasant place to be. It does *ahem* mph in silence too. :D

Window regulator fitted. Easy enough to do. Spent a while afterwards faffing with it because it seemed to be struggling to close.

Turns out it works far better with that little bit more voltage available when the engine is running...

I also fitted my osram silver stars. I got H7s, which fit the dipped beams, the full beams use H1s, durr.

The headlights come out really easily though, just pull out two little metal bars and the whole unit slides out the front.

A squirt of furniture polish on the guides that the window runs in helps too,

reduces strain on the regulator.

During my "career" working in scrappies Mk1 Focus RH window regulators were in high demand,

but mostly knackered when I got my hands on them,but the LH ones rarely were,

So seeing as they are a mirror image of each other,and no demand for LH ,

I used to swap the cables over,quite easy to do.

turning two unsaleable items into a saleable one.

Did lots of them,started doing them exchange after that :mrgreen:

Turns out I drove all the way from Turriff to Aberdeen with no front right indicator.

I only make my first right turn about a mile from my house, and the indicators went mental, suggesting one wasn't working. When I got home I opened the bonnet and shoved the plug on the back of the driver's side headlight... it clicked. Full functionality restored.

DERP.

I've also just ordered a pair of H1 Osram Nightbreaker Unlimiteds because they were only £11 and I wanted to put the better bulbs in the full beams in the first place! Bloody GSF only listed H7 bulbs so I thought both full and dipped used them...

Loved my 2002 Tdci LX estate..everything is a piece of pee to work on, and typical ford swapability on parts....so I fitted full leather interior - uprated dash with trip computer etc, Full LED dash upgrade, led side lights, fookin bright bulbs in the headlamps, and even LED reverse bulbs :D

everything is a piece of pee to work on

True that!

I can take the grille and both headlights out without even going near any tools. Swapped the full beam bulbs today for Osram nightbreaker unlimiteds, and put a full set of aero wiper blades on it too.

This means it now has Silver Stars in the dipped beam and Nightbreaker Unlimiteds in the full beams. Should be able to see into next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Mondeo van!

post-19977-0-57848600-1511038488_thumb.jpg

It's now back on its original scabby 17" wheels, with some Vredestein winter tyres on them now instead of the almost-dead mixture of tyres that were on them before.

post-19977-0-21450000-1511038492_thumb.jpg

As a side note, I keep forgetting just how big this car is. I only noticed it when I saw the guy at the tyre place moving it about, and I stood nearby as it moved past. It's huge!