French frolics in the Hillman, 2017

seth

Its been three years since we went abroad on holiday and thought it was about time to reaquaint ourselves with the continent.  An 8:30am ferry from Dover means an early start from London but misses all the traffic and means a couple of hundred miles into France is achievable while still leaving time to set up camp.  This time the destination was Normandy about midway between Caen and Rouen.  We do like a good bridge and the Pont d'Normandie is pleasingly impressive with a rest area by the toll booths and a viewing gantry.

NormandyCarThread-001.jpg

Chateau d'Orange in full effect.  This photo was taken by the campsite owner without our knowledge who posted it on their facebook page with the question of what year it was taken?  The answer we liked best reckoned 1976 since the car looked about 8-9 years old...

NormandyCarThread-067.jpg

Had no issues to note on the way down but when I opened the bonnet the next morning the rad was missing about two litres of water and it was clear it had escaped from the front of the engine somewhere. 

NormandyCarThread-002.jpg

I chucked some more water in as we weren't driving too far that day, and then again before we headed back to the campsite from our bike ride. That evening I had a proper look and it was obviously the heater hose by the thermostat housing, split by the hose clip.  I cut the end off with a kitchen knife, fitted a new clip and that was the trip's only mechanical issue sorted.

NormandyCarThread-003.jpg

Next day saw perhaps the best photographed 'wild' spot, a super cool Simca,seen as we headed to the Juno beach museum.

NormandyCarThread-004.jpg

Later that day we were meeting up with my brother in law and his family in Deauville, a posh seaside resort. They'd already been away much further south for a couple of weeks and were on their way back to England.  Anyway, there were many smart cars cruising about the place.And some rubbish ones to see.

NormandyCarThread-005.jpg

NormandyCarThread-006.jpg

NormandyCarThread-007.jpg

NormandyCarThread-008.jpg

NormandyCarThread-009.jpg

I didn't get to photograph the Moke, the big Healey or the early '50s Caddy convertable.

The next day we were headed along the same road towards Caen and so made a stop at a garage we'd already seen but couldn't stop in time for. Seemed to be a restoration shop of sorts with a line of 2CVs and R4s out front and other decaying wrecks lying around with a few smart cars inside.

NormandyCarThread-011.jpg

NormandyCarThread-012.jpg

NormandyCarThread-013.jpg

NormandyCarThread-014.jpg

Panhard Dyna,  mmmmmm.

NormandyCarThread-015.jpg

NormandyCarThread-016.jpg

NormandyCarThread-017.jpg

Slight reflectivity issue.

NormandyCarThread-018.jpg

We'd pulled in just after a German couple in this outfit who were also having a look about!

NormandyCarThread-010.jpg

On the Sunday I'd found a listing for a local classic Gathering in Ouistrahem which worked well with the itinerary (which coincidentally I'd put together)

The dark car here is a Mathis which is what we saw a bunch of when we were in Alsace back in 2013 since they were made there.

NormandyCarThread-019.jpg

NormandyCarThread-021.jpg

NormandyCarThread-022.jpg

Here's a novelty.

NormandyCarThread-023.jpg

NormandyCarThread-024.jpg

NormandyCarThread-025.jpg

NormandyCarThread-026.jpg

NormandyCarThread-027.jpg

Chenard et Walcker

NormandyCarThread-028.jpg

A whole heap of SUAVE

NormandyCarThread-029.jpg

NormandyCarThread-030.jpg

NormandyCarThread-031.jpg

NormandyCarThread-032.jpg

NormandyCarThread-035.jpg

Super-cool Dart

NormandyCarThread-039.jpg

These guys turned up playing instruments and possibly looking for a revolution?  They deffo looked hot as it was high 20s Celsius.

NormandyCarThread-041.jpg

NormandyCarThread-042.jpg

Having parked by the Pegasus Bridge...

NormandyCarThread-045.jpg

...we cycled into Caen but this was the only spot there.

NormandyCarThread-044.jpg

When we got back to the car we then saw the bridge opening and this was stuck in the queue.  The chap got out and started polishing it while waiting.

NormandyCarThread-046.jpg

Tat-haulage en Francais.

NormandyCarThread-047.jpg

Teh next day we headed to Falaise for more Norman castle exporing and on the way I pulled over in a village to take off the jumper I was wearing as the day was warming up.  Got out the car to discover completely by chance (and it really was) I was outside a Hot Rod shop!  Shame it was closed.  Some Alfa restoration and a couple of American pick ups were visible inside but teh poster on the window was advertising a big show about 100 miles away so I suspect they were probably still up there or recovering from that weekend.

NormandyCarThread-048.jpg

NormandyCarThread-049.jpg

NormandyCarThread-050.jpg

Sorry, another gratuitous Hillman photo.  A tiny village made famous by cheese.

NormandyCarThread-051.jpg

And another one.

NormandyCarThread-052.jpg

And another one! 

NormandyCarThread-053.jpg

But this is cool. Because this is the hairpin on the Rouen-Les Essarts race circuit that was in use from the '50s up until the nineties. The original cobbles are showing through the tarmac there.

Further on the lap the version of the track that was used later disappears off, though I did drive a complete lap and a half of the original '50s layout.

NormandyCarThread-056.jpg

There were pit and spectator buildings along side the road just like at Reims but sadly all that was demolished about 20 years ago.  About the only sign was a bus stop which was marked as 'auto cicuit'

I was really impressed with Rouen itself.  Incredibly picturesque city centre. Main attraction for me was the Gros Horloge, a 14th century clock still in its original tower and in owrking order but sadly no longer being used to drive the hands on the large dials or strike the bells it was connected to.

Oh, and a Simca.

NormandyCarThread-057.jpg

NormandyCarThread-058.jpg

NormandyCarThread-059.jpg

We took a wrong exit on the way out of Rouen and ended up passing throught eh village of Les Essarts, where Mrs Seth shouted for me to stop and take a photo of this building!

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Holidays/2017/CarThread/NormandyCarThread-060.jpg

And so it was time to pack up and say goodbye to the campsite Chateau.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Holidays/2017/CarThread/NormandyCarThread-061.jpg

Calais had some good spots, I think these two were possible being recovered, as the Mustang had a smashed screen.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Holidays/2017/CarThread/NormandyCarThread-062.jpg

German registered DS and Merc, then a Mustang drove into shot.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Holidays/2017/CarThread/NormandyCarThread-063.jpg

Swedish Chevy had come a long way.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Holidays/2017/CarThread/NormandyCarThread-064.jpg

We lead the way back in to Dover.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Holidays/2017/CarThread/NormandyCarThread-065.jpg

I hadn't noted the mileage when we left home so I worked it all out on Google afterwards.  Came in at 1202 miles over 10 days, about 600 of that was fully laden and towing.  Was lovely to be reminded how pleasant driving in France is.

Grand stuff, lovely to see a Renault 14 at a Show as well. I'd love to drive around France one day, you are certainly selling it to me!

Iain, defintily do it. I know I was cautious before the first time we went and it always takes a day or so to start feeling at ease.  We've always used the motorways to get to the area we are staying because they are easy to navigate and makes it much easier when towing - no stop-start at roundabouts or negotiating towns etc.  But then once we've got there we stick to the smaller roads as you see so much more.  Day trips are planned and Mrs_Seth does all the navigating with a map rather than sat-nav too so we often, by choice, take a less obvious route. The only downside for us is the plethora of small towns and villages who have decided to install speed bumps which while not being particularly tall or sharp in shape and I didn't generally scrape on, do upset the smooth flow of driving.

I've just come back from Normandy too, and French tat garages seem to be a thing over there:

attachicon.gif206.JPG

(That one was closed so I couldn't get closer to the chod.)

John, that's got to be the same place. I wasn't expecting to be the only forumite to have spotted it since it was on a main route.

Simca (estate?) snapped from inside Hillman wagon! attachicon.gifPicture 11.png

What are the chances etc....

Pretty sure that was just a saloon.

I forgot to mention best spots not photographed were probbaly a Dodge Viper out in the countryside and a Panhard CT on the Sunday which was just motoring about. Obviously plenty of 2CVs and R4s also seen in the wild.  Only early shape R5 I saw was on a trailer on the motorway when we were heading back to Calais.

seth, on 04 Sept 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:seth, on 04 Sept 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:

John, that's got to be the same place. I wasn't expecting to be the only forumite to have spotted it since it was on a main route.

It was on the A12 between Pont l'Evêque and Dozulé, so yes, it's in the right area :-)

Great stuff Seth, glad you took the time and trouble to share them.

Didn't know about the old Rouen circuit, but we usually steer a little bit clear of Norwich's twin city as we always end up on the wrong road (just as you did, it seems).

I'm pretty sure some of your travels would have crossed our path to and from Dieppe. However, it would seem we have no 'shared' spots from the area apart from this remarkable coincidence:

4919334762_802fa372c0_o.jpg

1967-71 Ford Taunus 17M/20M P7.2 estate by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Seen in Dusseldorf back in 2010!

I'm about halfway through week two of my own holiday photos.....

Great read! Just love those French tat hoard garages. However I think my favourite photo is that faded old 305 on what must probably be its original plates, super memories of seeing France as a kid in the eighties.

I always like these threads. The weather looks absolutely glorious and the cars look absolutely rubbish. Thanks for sharing.

Weather was fantastic right up to the last day which meant a wet pack up and a garden full of wet canvas when we got home.

Didn't know about the old Rouen circuit, but we usually steer a little bit clear of Norwich's twin city as we always end up on the wrong road (just as you did, it seems).

I'm pretty sure some of your travels would have crossed our path to and from Dieppe. However, it would seem we have no 'shared' spots from the area apart from this remarkable coincidence:

1967-71 Ford Taunus 17M/20M P7.2 estate by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Seen in Dusseldorf back in 2010!

I'm about halfway through week two of my own holiday photos.....

A spotted match, SNAP! etc.  I think I'd be able to 'work' Rouen after another go. The drive out was the only time we used Sat Nav.  It was a bit further away that I took the wrong exit and ended up in Les Essarts as we were quite low on fuel and I was worried we were about to end up on the Peage motorway for miles. 

The race circuit is visible here hopefully:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/Les+Essarts,+Rouen/@49.3326108,0.9963927,3719m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

with info on the layouts here:

http://www.gdecarli.it/php/circuit.php?var1=309&var2=2

The ghost of the curvy circuit across the top is visible on the satellite google image and you can also see a section of the trees by the D938 opposite where the pits were that are clearly younger than the rest - where the grandstands were.  The wood yard area on the pits side fo the road is I think totally unrelated to the track.

Look forward to seeing your thread.

Hmmm, on the first shot of the garage near Caen, is that a Quintet or FSO in the middle of the Taunus wagon and R4s line-up? I would love to think it’s the Honda, but I reckon the latter is more likely.

Does this help? 

IMG_20170825_103934a.jpg

Deffo Quintet!

Stirling work Mr Seth - as usual, great photos and prose.

The reflection photo has to be a candidate for the calender Shirley? If there's a thread for it, I'll bung it on, if I can work out how to do it.

(And I'm still smitten by teh Hillman)  :-D

The next day we were headed along the same road towards Caen and so made a stop at a garage we'd already seen but couldn't stop in time for. Seemed to be a restoration shop of sorts with a line of 2CVs and R4s out front and other decaying wrecks lying around with a few smart cars inside.

But it was closed.

Got out the car to discover completely by chance (and it really was) I was outside a Hot Rod shop!  Shame it was closed.

We took a wrong exit on the way out of Rouen and ended up passing throught eh village of Les Essarts, where Mrs Seth shouted for me to stop and take a photo of this building!

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Holidays/2017/CarThread/NormandyCarThread-060.jpg

But it was closed.

(That one was closed so I couldn't get closer to the chod.)

I went to Caen in the late 80's the town seeemed to shut at 10.30pm

Yep. France.