HMS Never to be Finished - Posh content

Roobarb

You know how it goes, there's a space (sort of) in your garage, cash (maybe) in your pocket and that car turns up that isn't quite what you are looking for, but is just too good a deal to let go by...

Meet my latest subject...

post-20944-0-77447500-1503832567_thumb.jpg

It's a '75 911S 25th Anniversary Edition.

While you can't tell from the pics, not only does it have an undesirable 2.7 engine (real trouble) it also is not a 'long hood', so has HUGE impact bumpers, is pre galvanization and I got to put the transmission in the back of my other car as that along with some other minor parts (like engine) are out or missing!

On the plus side, it was one of six 911s from an estate sale of a deceased gentleman and was the least desirable and so the cheapest! It cost me 2x what the engine is worth as a core, so shouldn't be too hard to get my money back if (when) it all goes tits up!

Don't ask when it will be finished (it's more if) but it has a few other things going for it. It has been a California car for most of its life (until around 15 years ago, when it was brought up to Minneapolis and then taken apart). This means it's not as rusty as it could have been. Also being pre 1975 means there are no emission tests for it in many states, which means it's quite desirable for hot rodding.

post-20944-0-82871200-1503833190_thumb.jpg

No paperwork came with the car, so asked my son and heir to take some pics of us loading it onto the truck. This was the first photo...

post-20944-0-54857600-1503833815_thumb.jpg

Little darling(grrr!) Goofy grin and everything.

He did take a couple of it in the end - small boy with cell phone isn't always bad!

post-20944-0-88383400-1503833571_thumb.jpg

post-20944-0-48735700-1503833883_thumb.jpg

Obviously the autoshite way is to restore it to its impact bumpered original state but I've seen some "less desirable" 911s been restored into a 73 rs 2.7 replicas- and even a fake seems to be worth a mint; though presumably that's difficult to do and parts are eye wateringly expensive too.

Thanks everyone. I think it's going to be a bit like eating an elephant - one bite at a time (and chew well!)

Wife hasn't exploded yet, but I've spent the day putting in footings for a new deck today, so hopefully that buys me some time with her.

I think there's something about buying an old shitter like this.

1, it's pretty tough to ruin it any more than it is (though I'm sure I'm going to try).

2, there's the dream of what could be... if only I could afford that gold plated unobtanium oscillating foo foo valve, and the wife didn't catch me buying it.

3, it it all turns to hell in a hand basket, parting it out should see a god bit of cash back.

MInnesota has just started a new scheme for cars like this without paperwork. They give you and the seller a bunch of forms to fill in, you take a bunch of photos and thenhope to hell they approve you! Then they create fresh paperwork and your in business :)

I have reached the conclusion that if the people who frequent this site had a gun put to their heads they still could'nt buy a running, driving,complete car in good condition.

The only car I've managed to buy that was running, driving, complete and in good condition was a Ledbury Maestro, so I don't think that counts.

This is bloody awesome.

The only time I managed 911 ownership was when I gave one to myself as a 30th b'day gift.

To be precise, it was a D'Ieteren 993 3.8 RSR, which was built from an almost new crashed car using

a new shell from Stuttgart. Everything was upgraded and it had a manually controllable wastegate,

so it was good for short blasts of 1,100 OMGBHP. It had no sound deadening whatsoever

and the interior consisted of two Scheel seats and some FIA approved scaffolding.

The car could exceed the speed limit on Belgian motorways in first gear. Then there were five more.

I sold it two Months later simply on the grounds that I realised it'd kill me sooner than later

and back then I was still naive enough to want to live to the age of 40.

Had I known then what I know now, I'd have kept it.

I have reached the conclusion that if the people who frequent this site had a gun put to their heads they still could'nt buy a running, driving,complete car in good condition.

I've tried but I still gravitate towards broken stuff. The best cars I've had were bought broken.

My theory is that something cheap is probably broken in someway. However if a person/dealer is being open to the faults, they tend to be open most all of them. If they're being honest, you get it for less and have less surprises.

MGB admittedly was supposed to be all working, however I knew that it hadn't been moved in a while and so likely have issues... But that was different too, as I was buying it for the shell and engine+box in good condition. I.e. nothing major and expensive.

That's because this place is a rescue centre.

Porker looks like a worthy project, and I'm jealous of your garage space already!

Oh, and before I forget (which I do often at my age), should I ever be able to get another 911 (highly unlikely),

it'll be made a Rauh Welt Begriff without any culpable delay, airlifting Akira Nakai over and all.

Hairnet!!  Give Junkman his profile back, immediately! 

:D

I hope with this posh Beetle you just do the barest minimum required to make it work and run, perhaps not quite Roadkill levels of just-about.  There's something appealing about dog-eared desirable* classics.

This.  Volvo 240 bumpers are cheaper, and should* fit*.  If I can help further, do please let me know...  ;)

A friend of mine, successful small business man has bought a Guards Red 911 to help him relive his lost youth.

He had one years years ago and has wanted another one since.

We saw some at ACA but we were out bid.

A few days later he announced he had bought one but sent it straight to the bodyshop. The engine and box went off to be reconditioned.

He retrimmed the interior himself and an auto electrician went through it from one end to the other.

Last time I saw him, he gave me a guided tour of it, looked over his shoulder to see if his wife was in earshot and said quietly...

"Fuck Me I've spent a lot of money on it"

"Far far more than I meant to."

It is utterly mint though. :-)

If you need any impact bumpers for a Volvo, I might be able to help you out, and they should fit* :D

The car came with a bunch of girders that weigh more than all my Christmas presents from Santa EVER!!!

Needless to say, they probably won't be staying as a pound saved is a few more horses gained!

For once I'm looking forward to my weekend 'wife request' list as once I get the frame on the footings (a little too far from the house I'm afraid DeeJay - though I like your thinking) I can get on with scraping the tar off the floor pan.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what I should use once I've wire wheeled the floor pan after I've finished scraping all the tar off? (Awaits all the Viz jokes).

Nibblet, if you were in the US, I might just take you up on your offer. Assuming that dog calendar is full of great 'puppies' :)

How hard would it be to backdate this a year or two?

Is it just bumpers and a flat engine cover?

Or do you need new wings.

1.JPG

Not hard and that looks loverleeeee :)

I think that's where I'm going with it. Not sure on color but I'll be needing wings, hood, windows, trim, bumpers, working engine... you get the idea!

I just found out that the tea tray on the back is worth about 1/5th of what I paid for the car! That might help the coffers a little.