Renault 6 rescue (Aug 2020 - rehomed)

quicksilver

Can’t you buy a luxury under-car roller, have a couple of servings of Dutch courage, grit your teeth and crack on with it? You may even enjoy* welding again, and appreciate it’s bonus features such as quick nose and ear hair removal.

Just a thought.

Bugger indeed. I knew things were bad when he came in from the garage offering me bits of floor from a dustpan. Of course I didn't* suggest just leaving it until next year and putting it on the road as it is when it doesn't need an MOT anymore.

There's a metallic blue R6 that lives round here somewhere but I've never seen that beige one before.

Mine has gone on the driver's side floorpan at the front, albeit not quite as badly as that.  Been meaning to get it done for ages now but other stuff keeps pushing it back down the queue.  I think the MOT exemption thing will help - not because I'm going to drive it around with holes in it but because there will be no MOT tester to LOL at my pigeon-shite welding.

Can’t you buy a luxury under-car roller, have a couple of servings of Dutch courage, grit your teeth and crack on with it? You may even enjoy* welding again, and appreciate it’s bonus features such as quick nose and ear hair removal.

Just a thought.

A luxury* car roller might be OK for something like xtriple's Bentley but it would probably reject Bob as the absolute antithesis of luxury.

Maybe tipping him over onto a couple of straw bales would be more in keeping with his heritage.

My weldage is crap when I'm sober, so would be worse than useless if I took some Dutch (or French) courage beforehand.

I have very little hair left as it is and would prefer to keep what I have attached to my body.

I think I would prefer to earn some more pennies by sitting comfortably at a computer and give them to someone else, assuming I can find somebody masochistic enough or desperate enough to take the job on.

The MOT exemption does at least make it a lot easier to drive it to someone to get the work done at least...

I've had a couple of people recommend D&A Autos down by IKEA, and am planning to get the Lada's wings changed by them.  Sadly haven't got as far as doing it yet - but when I stopped by I got a good vibe from the folks I was talking to.  They were taking me seriously, asked all the right questions from me, and gave me a ballpark price right around what I expected.  There was an MG Maestro outside and an early Rolls Silver Shadow having an MOT...that alone made me pretty sure I was in the right place...they wanted to buy the Skoda too.

Don't know if they've got a mobile welder, but might be worth a phone call - if nothing else they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Can you hire car rollers?  Looks like with the car on its side as though that would be a pretty easy fix - just a swine when you're laying on your back with your nose an inch away from the panel you're trying to work on.

Don't really want to wait until next year for the MoT exemption to kick in, although at the rate I'm going it may take until then to get the rest of the car sorted.

I'm not sure I actually need a car roller. It is in a double-width garage and the car is fairly light, so I could probably tip it over onto a couple of straw bales or something.

I remember doing this with an autocross mini (in fact the one that used to be my profile picture) in the middle of a field to replace a broken gearchange extension many years ago. Just need to muster 3 or 4 people to assist.

I have found a local mobile welder who gives free estimates, so I may contact him and see what he can do.

If you do use D&A I would be interested to know the outcome.

I'll definitely be posting on here if/when it happens.  Just a matter of it getting to the top of the to do list.

Two Wrestlers Garage is the place I use for MOTs and most of the general stuff I don't want to faff about with myself.  It still seems to work like a "proper old garage" as far as I can see and they've never given me any bother.

Likewise if you have good luck with the mobile welder I'd be interested to get the details for future reference.

When’s this MoT Exemption coming? I thought it was 2018, which is only two months away. Is it not until the summer or something? Surely Bob is already an ‘historic’ vehicle so dosen’t need to wait for his 40th birthday?

Obviously I understand you don’t want to drive him around with a big hole in the floor...

When’s this MoT Exemption coming? I thought it was 2018, which is only two months away. Is it not until the summer or something? Surely Bob is already an ‘historic’ vehicle so dosen’t need to wait for his 40th birthday?

Obviously I understand you don’t want to drive him around with a big hole in the floor...

May 2018.

Hang on, doesn’t the 6 have a separate chassis and body like the 4, and this floor pans are completely non structural and thus none mot’able?

Not exactly. It does not have a separate chassis in the traditional sense of chassis rails running right along and across the car carrying all the mechanical components. It more accurately has a separate body and floorpan, similar to a Volkswagen Beetle. None of the upper body panels are structural, but the mechanical components are attached to reinforced areas of the floorpan, which has box sections for strength. This rot is in part of a large box section which runs right across the car directly behind the rear seat. Since it is a hatchback, this and the front bulkhead are what give it torsional rigidity. hence I think Mr. MoT could justifiably fail it.

Entirely btw, don't forget Skizzer's R16 TA and Lobster's R4F6.

We should be able to get quite a good pre 1986 Renault meet together, if we wanted to.

And who is it who is currently trying to sell a delightfully shabby chic powder blue phase 1 R5?

Does anyone here have an Alpine?

No Alpine but I do have a '66 R4, a 74 R5 and a 62 Estafette...Party!

post-3220-0-69170200-1509576869_thumb.jpg

Great snapshot into the bigger picture of the Renault. The Ford Pop and Moggie Minor still look damn fine to this day. I love the way the Renault still sports the dent in the back door and the same windscreen sticker all these years later. I know it's the polar opposite of what 99.9% of shiters want, but I'd love to see the car back looking resplendent in it's metallic Kermit again...

Me too, not a big fan of the "don't paint" mentality unless the paint is indeed in really good order.

A good paint job transforms older cars, but alas costs many ££££££

• 2 months later...

Time for an update - work stopped for a while as it was just too cold but I'm hosting a Model Bus Federation meeting this coming weekend and some of Bob's friends will be attending so we want to get the Renault back on its wheels and roll it outside where they can see it. We've hit another because French problem with the wheel bearings though. Seems there are two different types of bearing with the same part number that aren't interchangeable - we ordered a pair from the same supplier but they sent one of each and haven't responded to messages about the problem. Typically the one we need is the less common and much more expensive type but one is on its way from what we thought was a UK ebay seller who actually turned out to be in Germany. Aren't French cars fun?

Well the wheel bearing has been delivered...somewhere. The courier's website says it was signed for at about 5pm by someone called Francis. All fine and dandy except we were at home at that time and no courier came, and we don't know anyone called Francis so we haven't a clue where they delivered it to. What do we do now and how do we track down where it is?

Same here, only mine had been signed for by 'Outbuilding', of which there were none at the delivery address. The courier company told me they could only deal with the sender, but the sender would only respond by telling me it had been signed for so there was nothing they could do.

I wish you the best of luck!