Renault 6 rescue (Aug 2020 - rehomed)

quicksilver

• 1 month later...

Someone has requested some interior shots of Bob and I can't see any in this thread already.
So here they are:

20180512_144859.thumb.jpg.8c4e57dfec101356758c931f429d780e.jpg

20180512_144916.thumb.jpg.f368cc380f9c62fd5050026f4f1c77df.jpg

Rear seat in pretty good shape. Original black rubber floor mats also reasonable.
Nasty thin black plastic rear wheel arch liners worn through to the sound deadening at the front on both sides.

20180512_144933.thumb.jpg.64170adb1c53f0bf3ec36dd3f67b558f.jpg

20180512_144956.thumb.jpg.68bc86241cb80300e18425b09e56017e.jpg

Front seats also in really good condition for their age. Unfortunately as you can see they are black, so don't match the rear seat and the rest of the trim which is tan. I believe that this model was supplied as standard with a single bench front seat and two individual seats were a cost option. These do appear to be the correct seats so  I can only assume that this originally had a tan bench front seat which was subsequently changed for two individual black seats from another Renault 6.
Again the rubber floor mats look in good condition and would scrub up well.

20180512_145024.thumb.jpg.929ad17b42700f87f525d0b4e95ebb5d.jpg

The gloriously eccentric dashboard. Who else but the French would use GREEN wood on this. Are other Renault 6 dashboards made from green wood as well or is this colour-coded to the (originally dark metallic green) exterior?

20180512_145043.thumb.jpg.68a429296b4ee9563d8b20f5e6cbd844.jpg

Original rubber boot mat and parcel shelf also in good order. Front of parcel shelf  is hinged to top of rear seat and folds down behind it, which is much more user friendly than the Maxi one, which has to be removed completely and there is nowhere else in the car to store it.

On 4/13/2020 at 2:07 PM, bunglebus said:

Both C pillars have had some interesting repairs, do they rot there?

They are not repairs that you can see on the bottom of the C pillars. The wheel arches have very thin moulded black plastic covers over them which are lined with hairy sound-deadening material. These have both split at the front and lumps of the plastic have fallen off, exposing rough areas of the insulation, which is what can be seen in the photos. There are small rust holes in the front of both the rear arches but these are right at the bottom where they join the rear floorpan and are covered by the arch liners.

22 hours ago, Holytoledo! said:

Bet that would look great with bench seat in!

Yes, I'm sure it would.
The individual seats would also look OK if they were in the same tan colour as the rest, but look a bit out of place being black.
I guess the likelihood of getting hold of either a bench seat, or even a pair of individual seats, in the original colour is pretty slim.
The only other alternative I can think of would be to paint the rear seat and the rest of the trim black, as I doubt the black front seats could successfully be painted to the lighter tan colour, even if you could match it. That would be a shame though as I think the tan trim goes really well with the original dark metallic green interior paintwork.

• 3 months later...

Having been let down by someone else on here, this is now up for sale again.
Not looking to make a profit on it, just need to move it on. It owes me about £500 (excluding many hours of labour). See the whole thread for all the gory details. First person here with a trailer / transporter and £500 can take it away.
All complete. Dismantled engine and all other removed bits are in the back. Some new spares, workshop manuals and sundry other stuff included, as well as a period roof rack.  Rolls easily and footbrake and handbrake work. V5 in my name.
Please form an orderly queue.

20 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

Having been let down by someone else on here, this is now up for sale again.
Not looking to make a profit on it, just need to move it on. It owes me about £500 (excluding many hours of labour). See the whole thread for all the gory details. First person here with a trailer / transporter and £500 can take it away.
All complete. Dismantled engine and all other removed bits are in the back. Some new spares, workshop manuals and sundry other stuff included, as well as a period roof rack.  Rolls easily and footbrake and handbrake work. V5 in my name.
Please form an orderly queue.

clearly what you need to do is drag it to the FoD and challenge us to get it to the chippy and back :) 

On 4/13/2020 at 1:25 PM, Slowsilver said:

...much more user friendly than the Maxi one, which has to be removed completely and there is nowhere else in the car to store it.

Slightly off topic, but if you fold the rear seats in a Maxi completely, the parcel shelf will slip down into the gap between the front seat backs & the upturned rear squab.

I love your six & if I was to be thinking of buying it, I know a bloke who'd recover the front seats in matching tan vinyl.

On 7/18/2020 at 9:04 AM, barefoot said:

Slightly off topic, but if you fold the rear seats in a Maxi completely, the parcel shelf will slip down into the gap between the front seat backs & the upturned rear squab.

Thanks for the info. I have done this before when the rear seats have been folded down. The problem only manifests itself when you want to leave the shelf out with the rear seat still up so that you can carry passengers in the back. By coincidence our Zafira has exactly the same problem. Someone on here has suggested that on this the roller blind will fit in the tool storage compatment under the boot carpet. I haven't tried this as it is currently crammed full of tools, jump leads, etc.

18 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

Now claimed. Hopefully soon off to a good home with someone who has a Renault 4 850 engine to put in it. Glad it is going to be saved as I really couldn't bear to see it scrapped.

happy to see it has been claimed, and especially someone who has a new engine for it :) 

is it staying within the fold? :) 

The other day this happened.

IMG_20200729_192333.thumb.jpg.db1abffd86e9fb2d3ca451535f092521.jpg

Look, the waiting Saab is just over there, how hard can it be?

IMG_20200729_192336.thumb.jpg.c760275ee6f94313b3baa98d80d660c8.jpg

I took the engine back with me and managed to manhandle it out into my lockup. ALL the gearbox oil came out along the way. Thankfully Saab had the foresight to supply their cars with a nice rubber boot mat with edges, which serves very well as a catch pan.

The engine came out pretty easily all things considered. Drive shafts just pull out so - if I can get as far as fitting this in the 6 - that bit will be nice and easy.

However, all the rubber on the engine was horribly perished. Alternator - seized solid. Engine doesn't turn by hand but I haven't really tried properly yet. I couldn't resist taking the timing chain cover off properly once it was back in the lockup...

IMG_20200730_220747.thumb.jpg.1934d9ade2a0ab78e6d9023ac834eccb.jpg

It looks dry, but not too rusty. Top end looks about the same. I had no time so this is going to have to wait, but when I'm back from holiday I can start looking at it.

The driveshafts in Bob are the early type which attach to the output shafts using two concentric roll pins (picture somewhere in this thread), so you may need to change these for the ones on your 4. I think they are the same apart from the inner fixing.
Bob's engine has a dynamo rather than an alternator so you will either need to fit this instead or do a bit of rewiring for the alternator. Not too difficult though IIRC. Just a matter of removing the voltage regulator and connecting some of the wires from it together.
Good to see you are making progress with the engine and hope you can get it to turn over. If not you can still hopefully make one good engine out of the two.
Please continue to keep us updated on here.

Electrically shouldn't be a problem as a Lucas 17ACR has an internal regulator so only needs one heavy-duty cable to the battery and connection of the existing charge warning light wire. Mechanically, the Renault has a similar 3-point fixing but it depends if you can space it correctly for the drive pulley on it to line up with the existing drive pulley on the end of the camshaft.
On old BL stuff like Minis you could simply fit a piece of metal tube as a spacer to the long bolt on the top mount, as a Lucas alternator is shorter than the dynamo, connect the same two wires to the alternator as went to the dynamo, then remove the voltage regulator and connect the B and D terminal wires together, the F and WL terminal wires together and leave the E(arth) wire disconnected. No extra wiring or loom modifications needed. Or if you wanted to keep the voltage regulator for aesthetic reasons you could remove its innards and make the new connections internally.

If I could be said to have a plan here (which is probably putting it a bit grandly), I plan to keep the engine, box, shafts and everything on the engine from the donor 4. This is a later engine so it has the non-roll-pin driveshafts and having seen the fun* that @Slowsilver had with the other type, I have no desire to get involved in that sort of thing...

After all, there are a few other things about the car which aren't very original, so I think using later driveshafts and an alternator instead of a dynamo will probably go unnoticed ;)