Renault 6 rescue (Aug 2020 - rehomed)

quicksilver

Wow, I'm completely overwhelmed by the astonishing response to this little car - it makes all the effort worthwhile. Just a quick update to fill in what we know of its history so far. The first owner we know of was a Mrs Gusterson, who may have had it new. We don't know anything about her yet, except that she had the engine rebuilt by a Renault garage in Bournemouth in 1978. She sold it to Steve and Venice Edgar, the couple we bumped into on the way home, to replace a Spitfire when their daughter was born in 1980. They didn't keep it very long as they bought a caravan and a 'horrible' Austin 2200 to pull it, and we think they sold the Renault to Bob in 1981. He ran it until 1994 and then put it in the garage where we've just found it. Oddly we found a handful of invoices addressed to the previous owners but nothing from Bob's ownership so this is probably filed away somewhere and hasn't been discovered yet. Model buses seem to be a common thread with this car as Steve is a retired bus driver who also collects bus models. Bob used to sell them at the local toyfairs so it seems quite probable that Steve may have unknowingly bought from him.

Steve sent this photo taken in May 1980. There's no doubt it's the same car and this is what it looked like before Bob painted it. They're in the process of moving house so all their stuff is packed away but he's sure they have more photos so he'll send them through when they find them.

post-5267-0-98694300-1504032580_thumb.jpg

Wow, I'm completely overwhelmed by the astonishing response to this little car - it makes all the effort worthwhile.

I think it's because it's what a lot of us would dream of happening and be able to do. Stumble upon a once common, but now rare, car that has a lot of history against it. Then being able to save it and bring it back into the road and use. Something too that isn't a basket case of a vehicle.

What does it look like on the underside? Any horrors?

The pictures from the previous owner are an absolute dream come true, pretty sure anyone would love to have that sort of thing!

Absolutely, it is the icing on the cake.

Very well done to you Mr Quicksilver, I'm not going to try and tell you what to do with the paint or whatever, looking at your lovely Maxi you will do what feels right. Brilliant 

I love the innocence of that 1980 photo.

Junkman has a wonderful R16, there is an early R5 an R11, R18 and (maybe) a 30TX on this site, plus some period Fuego photos I still have etched on mind for some reason.

Now a Renault 6 with far more provenance that one of those hilarious simpering descriptions some classic car adverts go in for.

I have memories of my metalwork teacher driving about six of us somewhere in one of these.

He thrashed it to within an inch of its life, the terrifying angles of roll and the endless tyre squeal remain with me to this day.

It was eventually replaced with an R4 van.

I love the innocence of that 1980 photo.

Junkman has a wonderful R16, there is an early R5 an R11, R18 and (maybe) a 30TX on this site, plus some period Fuego photos I still have etched on mind for some reason.

Now a Renault 6 with far more provenance that one of those hilarious simpering descriptions some classic car adverts go in for.

There's a 14 owner somewhere in our midst too, posted quite frequently in the early days. Reassuringly I saw some photos of it quite recently, doesn't Nigel Buckle have at least one as well??

Think it was AlexG with the powder blue number and it's already sold.

I've been rubbish at digging out these parts I offered, been that much other stuff to do since I said I'd got them I've not even been in the garage :/  I'll try and do it this weekend at the very latest.