Lupo 20v turbo, sounds like a good idea

pauldoubleyou

So, sleeper look is the plan now.

I managed to shift the motorbike that was in the way so I can get in to fit the last driveshaft.

Moonwhile, I sourced the majority of the interior for £20 local. Managed to get ultimate poverty cloth too, and beneficially its a lot better condition than the original.

5f76b12ca9474d8258ab4cfe917c3c42.jpg

73cbd62241fcb6db305957495ef34dce.jpg

61b5c3ed7f9703f14c84f96e13e01c2f.jpg

Question to the floor.. carpet. Has anyone successfully fitted a non standard carpet? Shagpile or similar?

Maybe some Wilton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in 1984 i took all the off cuts from a mate whose parents were having the whole house recarpetted in beige axminster.

Over 2 days with a carpet needle and thick thread (more like string) i made it fit a spitfire.

It was erm mediocre. But free. The quality of the carpet over shadowed the naff installation. I also got high on carpet adhesive. Very high.

Can't you find a used carpet for not a lot? If you want to go down the minimalist lightweight route then you could use the really thin stretchy stuff that gets used in campers to trim exposed metalwork. You can just stick it down with spray glue and it'll conform to the shape of the floor. Not very hard wearing but I guess you won't be daily driving this with children and dogs in it?

• 2 weeks later...

Running and driving and stopping!

https://youtu.be/wUGmyD7SdP4

Only got a downpipe on at the moment but shit scared something is going to pop or set on fire. Got lots of jobs left before it’s roadworthy though.

Needs lowering a little, brakes sorted, boost gauge won’t work, oil light is on along with the bloody temp high alarm. Think it’s wiring as it’s flicking oil about properly and not too hot.

Interior half in too.

Massive motivation increase now. Boost gauge plumbed in, swapped the alternator as it wasn’t charging and found somewhere to stow the fuse box.

Probably going to pull and remove the starter switch on the dash as there’s no real need for it.

Just still looking for a sodding carpet

• 3 weeks later...

Back to it, still dragging on this but managed to get the downpipe welded up and sorted today. Never welded really before this and certainly not stainless so I thought fuck it, throw on some stainless mig wire and give it a go. It’s not laying dimes tig quality but for something that’s gonna be out of sight and heat wrapped, who cares??

So I got a reel of stainless wire off eBay and with some research it seems it works fine with co2 just not ‘as good’ as Trimix. Well, fuck it.

bdd721a33594a45ec782b18a77ff8928.jpg

3814d1ee9235363143abf6326cbab425.jpg

Stuck the trusty Clarke into settings for 2mm steel and spent two days mocking up whilst the car was on a jack stand (how does Arran Kaufman do it?) and managed to get my angles right and good clearance under the subframe. The top of the downpipe was originally off a polo conversion but was just to short.

17132f29517b0f96364a2871fc5b20e3.jpg

The fire extinguisher setup running a smooth 10lpm

d9a5c110816734c314cafe2680c61a86.jpg

So welded up it looked alright. Just alright, not so bad it looked like birdshit but not that good I wanted to not grind it down. And the finished product isn’t that bad. I’ve even took closeups!

105c38c6b9b7710765c3b49101f682c4.jpg

4694c08161631b6c7db700a0437c665a.jpg

51eb2a0f8f9b0f7245291cc911f71d54.jpg

So next is to fit the lambda and heat wrap it, then mate it up to the original system for now. The downpipe is 2.5” so I’d like to make it all the way through but I’m gonna have to fit a cat off something else to pass emissions.

That brand MIG wire is what my local welding supply shop (Wellington Welding) sold me when I bought some. Should be good quality, otherwise the pros buying from the shop wouldn't buy it.

I’ve only bought it, but then to be honest I’ve only ever bought two rolls!

It was the cheapest on eBay. I was worried that welding stainless would be difficult or different but to be honest it was identical to normal mig work.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update this afternoon, I’ll post my exhaust finish later too.

Finally got a bloody carpet that’s not knackered! One step closer to the granny Lupo look

Word to the wise, if you’re gonna strip a car for God’s sake keep all the bits for when you change your mind :/

3950700be5909734c0687913fdc31404.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Due to getting the van this hasn’t had much attention this month.

One thing that was annoying me was that when I stripped the interior originally there was a piece of cardboard masticked to the roof lining. Stupidly I removed this and ended up with a car that resembles a tin can noise when you shut doors.

I don’t have a head lining but got some thin small cell foam and sikaflexed it in its place. No more tinny noise when you shut the door and will do until I can get a headliner.

79e5ab6aeafc7a2caa150d7dd1c9b263.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well as is the way with the good old senior service my draft to Manama got turned off. So once I got Christmas out the way and my propane heater working I set out today to get enthusiastic about finishing the Lupo.

The main thing that was niggling me was that welded driveshaft. It’s really one of the only things I’m really not confident about so I did some research and found that a mk2 Golf Syncro rear right driveshaft is within 9mm of the size I need.

After some searching for an obviously rare part I found one yesterday and paid the man the money.

So today I pulled the welded shaft and got the car on the blocks in order to refit a solid one that ill be able to make fit by modifying one of the cv joints instead of the shaft.

I also got a slimline fan on the way so after The postman arrives I’ll be more confident for a test drive on the road.

Finally I removed and painted the front mount so it’s a bit more stealthy.

fa705500e18046204f77083b8ec1622d.jpg

fa2ac693eb414907d291bc7440ba58ac.jpg

959fd43df1757699708826235b896594.jpg

d20f454a09e6dfd301a9c0442822d0a6.jpg

ea7d2da7232e83eb7688f044f874a103.jpg

2c46b66b2c9cc0c6b9bc2f103b336273.jpg

cd201a3fc72933bbf459016386e00cd4.jpg

• 3 months later...

ca054f029374a72c44a7ae587cf52da5.jpg

It’s been a long time really over winter and I decided to have a tinker with this today. I’ve had some bits saved up and wanted to get them sorted but first was this sodding driveshaft.

I welded on up that was shortened and to be honest it was bugging me in case it snapped. So I bought a mk2 golf synchro right rear off a lad on Facebook for an obscene amount of money, made it fit by nudging about 2mm off the end and fitted it today.

Shitty thing is that as the lower arm was fully extended down, the cv was catching at such a funny angle and I couldn’t freely turn the wheel while it was up in the air. So really as soon as ETG moves this Golf I need to take it for a drive.. we should be there.

What’s left in the box of bits? Slimline fan and passenger seatbelts which I somehow binned in the strip / put back together.

I really want this out this year and tbh it’s looking a bit tired after gathering dust so long. Hopefully should be a few weeks.

Last problem is the bloody brake lights are constantly on. Hoping it’s the switch and not a wiring issue otherwise I’ll just rewire it. Also the accelerator pedal remains stupidly high but I need it out and turned round nose in so I can get to it in the garage. If I manage to turn it round it’ll be the first time out of the garden in about two years.

Weren't you after parting with this not so long back? Thank fuck you didn't after all the effort you've put into it

I have waves of loving it and wanting shot of it. If I got shot of it I’d only replace it with something that requires more work.

I just need to put my head down and get it finished!

• 1 month later...

Not been much going on with this so I tried to reinsert some interest. 

The throttle pedal was way too high as i basically knackered up fitting it, so I pulled it and straightened it to sit lower than the brake and throttle. 

Finally got round to buying a lambda and fitted it today, along with a new MAF. This last bit of sensor wiring meant I could close up the scuttle panel and tidy the last wires away. Whilst I was there I refitted the bonnet catch and the wipers after a paint up with some black gloss. 

The last bits I’ve got to do are pretty pissy but for it’s test I need to bolt a cat on it, probably off a rover or similar as the pipework will fit. I also need to reinstall the passenger seatbelt. 

Once this Corsa is running / got rid of I’ll take it for a spin and turn it round again so I can do the above, then off for its test. Determined to finish it this year. 

76EA3735-5569-494D-AB8D-5D560B049A6B.png

• 2 months later...

It’s been a while but now I’ve got shot of the Corsa I managed a few hours on the Lupo today.

Finally got round to fitting my slimline fan, which after a hunt on autodata for the pins from the radiator switch I should be able to get running quite easily.

7f9ebcade673a50a8130a9e814d9bd7c.jpg

a6f27dc4a792fd0c16f980c1184b7934.jpg

Fitted some new plugs I had bought, and gave it a wash

1daefe4171afe065d30145660a34130c.jpg

I then moved onto fitting the passenger side seatbelt for the test only to find I have somewhere binned the sliding mount for the b pillar. Urgh.

0aa97e31b27e21d7669caed79aa7800f.jpg

03d699a121594f0a52d334a058f3e808.jpg

It’s nice to have a go at it for the first time in ages. Even though it took me an hour to find the key. Drove it up and down the drive to turn it round and wash it - didn’t see anything untoward. Only thing that’s frustrating is a stiff gearstick but I think some 3in1 might sort that, along with use.

Hoping to Bang this in for a test by the end of August.