What's wrong with Cherokee?

mercrocker

Hang on, I thought the Grand was the WJ THEN ZJ. Bloody confusing. XJs have fulltime 4x4 as well - so what's with the diff knackering? The platforms used different differential manufacturers so is there a specific one that fails?

ZJ then WJ,confusing i know. Issues are a combination of abuse, not changing diff oil and a knackered viscous coupler accelerating wear on the UJ's

I had a ZJ GC Limited. It had zero rust and a great stereo. I bought it cheap (knackered diffs), used it for towing stuff and didn't do much to it. Replaced a couple of tyres, changed the oil, fed the rear diff Jeep Spec diff unicorn tear oil etc.

It racked up about 20k miles while I had it, just kept on going. It didn't get any worse while I had it, passed the MOT happily, and because it was on lpg it wasn't expensive to run.

Admittedly, my tame mechanic insisted it went on the ramp after borrowing it because 'something on that has to be fucked, it drives like it is pissed'. He spent an hour of his own time trying to discover why it drove pissed - even putting all the alignment gear on it and the thing was straight with nothing obviously wrong. It just drove like it was pissed.

Sold them new from the mid to late Eighties. Best seller was the 4.0 H.O. Limited by not a narrow margin.

From the onset they fascinated with bizarre defects during the warranty period, which a quarter century later is irrelevant.

E. g. the aforementioned weak exhaust manifolds should all have been replaced with the revised ones by now,

same as the alternator brackets and the engine breather system.

Contrary to what others wrote, I could never get accustomed to the IMO ill handling on anything but the driest of roads

and thus avoided having to drive them. The entire package always gave me the impression of having been devised by a

grossly underfunded company, thus lacking any refinement whatsoever, especially when considering that the same company

built the truly excellent Wagoneers, which were renamed Grand Wagoneer when the Cherokee was launched and built

alongside for many years.

This inchoateness is what's still most firmly fixed in my memory.

Hence I would go near one only for sophisticated Autoshite reasons.

However, the idea is nixed by cow free 4.0 Autos being practically non existant.