For sells: Another DAF 66 Kombi!

Fabergé Greggs

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Weird to think that the biggest throttle openings would cause the biggest upshift effect, but I guess that’s balanced with the natural shift down effect caused by load on the belts.

Fuck knows how they calculated all of this, but apparently when it works it works. Which this one doesn’t.

Just time for a quick tinker in the evening light after work- and I have a small reward for all my efforts at last!

The 4 way valve gives me some considerable vacuum if I press in the low hold switch, but I don’t think I’m getting any vacuum through the change up pipe... so... I switched the pipes over and used the low hold switch as a kind of overdrive and... woah!! At long long last you can go for a drive without a constant million RPM. It changes so nicely with load and inclines, and cruises beautifully at sensible revs at around 50mph.. it’s like a different car.

The weird thing is that I can hear the valve clicking when I open the throttle, which lead me to believe that it’s working, but further investigation is obviously needed.

I celebrated by going to Tesco and parking between some 4x4’s.

post-17997-0-38463800-1522780645_thumb.jpeg

Whilst waiting for parts to arrive I've started to ponder reversing lights. It doesn't have one but as this will be pressed into daily use it's kind of handy to have one. 

I can't really find much info about what would be required legally- something mega discreet would be perfect. 

Whilst waiting for parts to arrive I've started to ponder reversing lights. It doesn't have one but as this will be pressed into daily use it's kind of handy to have one. 

I can't really find much info about what would be required legally- something mega discreet would be perfect. 

If you're only fitting the one, I think you need to mount it on the left side. You can also have one rear fog light on the right side.

Would this do for an add-on reverse light?

If you're only fitting the one, I think you need to mount it on the left side.

Well that thought is bollocks for starters. ;)

Factory fit lower right:

3206823822_e7a6e805d1_z.jpg

042 by E Honda, on Flickr

A tell-tale warning light is needed for a manual switched one.

RVLR 1989 schedule 14: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/14/made

The switch on super luxes is on top of the primary and nudged by the arm on top of the power divider.

post-19900-0-25920500-1522849376_thumb.jpg

Well that thought is bollocks for starters. ;)

Factory fit lower right:

3206823822_e7a6e805d1_z.jpg

042 by E Honda, on Flickr

A tell-tale warning light is needed for a manual switched one.

RVLR 1989 schedule 14: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/14/made

The switch on super luxes is on top of the primary and nudged by the arm on top of the power divider.

attachicon.gifreverse light switch 66.jpg

Hmm that's good to see. I spied the wiring for the switch on the primaries when it was up on the ramp. I might pop a switch in there the next time it's up in the air. My feelings are spilt as it look so minimal without one but people seem to freak right out at me when reversing. I never seem to quite get the chance to extol the virtues of a BASE model before it all kicks off. 

If you're only fitting the one, I think you need to mount it on the left side. You can also have one rear fog light on the right side.

Nurp, but you aren't allowed more than two, and those two must be mounted symmetrically if you do have two. Also some nonsense about how far off the ground it is and all that usual jazz. As it was a factory option, is there fitment for a switch? Having to manually switch the thing on and off is a chore (though it can be fun at traffic lights).

Phil

Nurp, but you aren't allowed more than two, and those two must be mounted symmetrically if you do have two. Also some nonsense about how far off the ground it is and all that usual jazz. As it was a factory option, is there fitment for a switch? Having to manually switch the thing on and off is a chore (though it can be fun at traffic lights).

Phil

Yeah, there’s a switch location by the primaries as described above. I was thinking about fitting a suitable high level brake light that could perhaps double up as a reversing light, though that might be a confusing location for a reversing light.

I would mount it centrally like a MK1 Fiesta, would it be possible to use a square front spot lamp or would the MOT man think that was too bright?

MOT’s are of no concern any more. MOT expires on the 21st of May, a handy 3 days after it becomes exempt. :)

Fuck, that little Daf looks like a bloody Matchbox toy car between those two bloody bloaters. Sodding hell.

Imagine how fuel efficient and fun cars could be if they were similar in size and weight to old chod but with all the mechanical advances of modern vehicles. 

Instead everyone is driving about cocooned in these massive, bloated overcomplicated heaps of plastic shite. People more concerned with being able to listen to Spotify than actually having any awareness of the road around them. 

All of this on the first exorbitant PCP scheme they could find, tying them to a mobile two tonne fashion accessory that will be out of date half way through aforementioned agreement. Hello negative equity.

Imagine how fuel efficient and fun cars could be if they were similar in size and weight to old chod but with all the mechanical advances of modern vehicles.

This but without any mechanical advantages please, I’d just like them not to rust.

You may fit one but only if it is 'rally car stylee' a la small spotlight type one attached to the bumper.

That is the only one you can fit. 

Look at the regs Kenny, you can go for a pair of 24W monsters and put it on a manual switch with tell-tale and dazzle* tailgating cunts.

*yeah, I know they aren't meant to, but someone must have pushed it back on it's mounting pivot so it was aiming high.

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly there now, with some pleasant tinnkering in the sunshine. My rebuild kit arrived so I set to rebuilding the vacuum valve- I couldn't believe how small the mushrooms are!

There's the devil. 

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

And dissembled.. Not much to it is there? 

IMG_0917.jpg

You can see the offending mushroom (good name for a band), and the solenoid it should be attached to. 

IMG_0917.jpg

Also, this valve is perhaps from a Volvo 340 as it has a diode which isn't needed on a 66. See-ya!
IMG_0918.jpg

Now, the strange this is, all is now working as it should, and a test drive reveals that there is a change up effect, however this isn't nearly as strong as when I bodged it to the low hold side. 

The reason seems to be that there is much less vacuum present on the change up side than there is on the change down. This is confirmed by sucking on the inlet pipe of the body without any thing else attached- the change down side is free, however the change up side feels restricted. Is this correct?
IMG_0917.jpg