For sells: Another DAF 66 Kombi!

Fabergé Greggs

Sorry for the lack of updates..

I got caught up in a bit of blissful tinkering and servicing before setting off on the 8 mile journey home..

I've been having so much fun zooming about I totally forgot to do the usual updates..

Anyway...

post-17997-0-12384800-1502647791_thumb.jpg

post-17997-0-52786400-1502647850_thumb.jpg

Pre-driving off fettling actioned to finish off some bits and bobs.

The spark plugs from the beginning of time were removed without hassle and lovely new ones fitted, also without hassle.

Floppy fan belt adjusted, new one on the list eh Jack ;)

Bumper and lights reattached. Replacement door mirrors fitted (both sides).

Replacement front panel fitted, plastic grille refitted with aid of a couple of zip ties. and proper fasteners.

Tyre pressures checked.

Oh, replacement bonnet adjusted so that the locking mechanism functioned. It was a bit puzzling as to why it would not engage, that was until a mate found out that the bonnet brackets were too fat to go into the locking mechanism. The electric file roared in to action and then all was well. I was a bit stunned that Volvo would even think of fitting a different bit. Go figure.

To do by new owner:

Fit new fan belt.

Obtain a can of Kobina paint for the front panel.

Replace the rubber bits on the fuel line as air is getting in there. 

Fit the supplied replacement indicator stalk as the horn will only work when indicating. 

Drive and enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Have some more pics of this little sweetheart. 

I finished work early and had a cruise in the sun- it's so so charming to drive. 

Sadly it failed the diaphragm test (blowing down the vacuum tubes) so I'll need to look into how complex that is to fix. Right now it's insanely revvy, but once sorted it should settle down to a more sedate engine speed at partial throttle openings. It's pretty fun learning about the vacuum system on these- I love getting my head around a new system!

There's also a bit of a grumble coming from what I originally thought was a wheel bearing but, but I think it may be a propshaft bearing- it's a bit rumbly in neutral when stationary but with enough revs to engage the clutch. 

I can't wait to get it running like a watch.. 

IMG_7262.jpg
IMG_7260.jpg
IMG_7259.jpg
IMG_7258.jpg
IMG_7256.jpg
IMG_7250.jpg

Well there's no bearings holding up the prop ;)

There is a bearing in the bellhousing, there's also one in the flywheel. Those two hold up the clutch shaft.

At the other end, there is the primary unit input bearing.

I'll mibbie post something up later, but I've something else to write-up first.

That's good info, cheers! It must be the one in the bellhousing since since it seems to come from the front and only grumbles once the clutch engages. If it was the flywheel one then that would rumble all the time, no? 

well bought sir, well bought.

is this the ex Spondon, ex Wuvum and purplebargken one, or another completley different one?

one day i will own a Daft, along with an Allegro and a Reliant 3 wheeler, one day......

Yes, it's the ex stondon one.

Let me compound your want for one by saying it's an utter delight to drive. Totally bonkers and yet somehow makes perfect sense.

and there we have it. THE most definitive statement of ever regarding Daf driving and owning.

'Totally bonkers and yet somehow makes perfect sense.' 

​Bloody hell, your ears are obviously more sensitive (functional/working/much less shit) than mine.

I never actually did the blow test, mostly because I forgot and I thought it drove fine. Ummm, what the hell do I know. Bugger all seemingly :)

It is a really charming little car, drives just lovely. Happy little thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to a fellow Daf owner, I had this on some

ramps today.

The belts are very loose which can't be helping things, though they're in pretty good condition considering they're dated 1973.

The left diaphragm is knackered and the right is a bit leaky. Sadly they're out of stock everywhere for a month or so.

Oh, and I got a ride in this little honey. It really was sewing machine smooth, and so great to see how the transmission should work when perfect..

post-17997-0-02578100-1506022392_thumb.jpg