Forum member: 'oldford'

worldofceri

Sad to hear via FB that the long-standing AS member known as oldford has sadly passed away.

I didn't know him personally, so apologies if I'm speaking out of turn, but I couldn't see any mention on here.

He owned a Sierra and a Cortina that were both immaculate, and which, for me, epitomised the ethic of using older vehicles for the purpose they were built, utilising sensible upgrades and preserving them for the future, and for the benefit of other car enthusiasts.

Condolences to his family and friends.

If you read the grumpy old man thread I had posted about it on there, he was a good personal friend of mine and it was devastating seeing him go down hill so quickly, in the last couple of weeks after being told that his cancer had won and was in his bones he just nose dived in a matter of days having two strokes and being pretty much comatose. I went to say goodbye last week after being told he only had a few hours left to live and he was just a shadow of his former self.

I'm raising a collection for Macmillian at my car meet tomorrow night on behalf of him, the nurses who look after the suffers at the end of their days cover such a large area and really do a fantastic service at the most tragic time in people's lives that I just want to give something back.

This is very sad news, i didn't know he was ill. I met him at Essex shitemeet and he showed a keen interest in my (not Ford) car, and quickly diagnosed a couple of problems while they were still minor. A kind, knowledgeable and thoughtful bloke from what I could see, which makes the news all the more difficult to hear. I'll raise a glass to him this evening.

I can only echo the sentiments above. He was a lovely chap, a pleasure to spend time with at Shotley, Jaywick and various other local shows and meets, and his cars were always immaculate:

26926912571_1437c50740_c.jpg

1982 Ford Cortina 2.0 Crusader by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

6221952115_3ffc1c7819_o.jpg

1991 Ford Sierra 1.8LX by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

6208337121_365d92b1d0_b.jpg

Autoshite selection at Walton-on-the-Naze by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

It's a testament to his enthusiasm that even in fairly recent times he was still improving them despite his illness. The Cortina looked particularly good when it was at Shotley earlier this year.

I'm not exactly local at present so sadly can't make it tomorrow night. I'm sure he will be in everyone's thoughts there just as he is here for me. 

Very sorry to hear that news.  I can only echo the others in that on the couple of occasions I met him he was great company.

Here's his starring role in the AS Stondon photo.

Autoshitestondon0910_073.jpg

(Edit: Just seen that Trig had already posted this photo in the Grump thread but, well, it always deserves another look I think)