Why are these making a comeback?

RustyNuts

They were popular in the 80s, pretty much every van had one. Maybe even in the 70s.. I wasn't around then to know though..

Then at the end of the 80s and definitely in the 90s the humble van air vent that spins round on the roof seemed to completely vanish.

Recently round my way I'm seeing a lot more of them though on new vans. Even the (ex?) missus one day asked me what they were and how new were they!

So whats with them vanishing and now making a reappearance?

screenshot_511.jpg

My Sprinter work van has them, that's a 66 plate. So did the previous 60 plate one and the two Transits I had before that (52 plate, and R reg).

Mine has a little slider on the inside so you can close it completely or partially to change how much airflow you get. They do make a difference though, if I close mine it's amazing how much condensation you get inside the back of the van.

They are a lot more engineered than the first glance suggests.

They create a slightly lower air pressure inside of whatever they are mounted to, thus an - although mild - cooling effect is achieved.

This has to do with thermodynamics, so don't ask me.

They were invented by Anton Flettner, a German aerodynamics and aviation pioneer, who used the Magnus effect to propel all kinds

of things, including ships. He also designed helicopters during WWII.

After WWII he was paperclipped to America and started the company a descendant of which still makes those ventilators.

They are called Flettner ventilators and have been around since the early 1930s. Their advantage is that they ventilate the van even when it is stationary,

something an aircon can't do. And since they are powered by wind energy, they are Kyoto friendly, which should answer the question why they are back.

Lifetime Warranty as well! :D

That's what my Dad told me when I was about five, a few days later I saw the local butchers van with one which freaked me out a bit at the time.

I always thought they were only fitted to refrigerated vans and it was something to do with them being fridge vans and needing them for that, because thats the only time i ever saw them, and when i stopped seeing them I just assumed they had found a better way of doing it, like those metal box fan things you see on the roof of tesco and Asda delivery vans.

I always thought they were only fitted to refrigerated vans and it was something to do with them being fridge vans and needing them for that, because thats the only time i ever saw them, and when i stopped seeing them I just assumed they had found a better way of doing it, like those metal box fan things you see on the roof of tesco and Asda delivery vans.

That makes more sense and would explain the on the butchers van bit from the replies above it does seem they were also just vents.

Sorry... having trouble posting on my mobile. The point I was making is that I used to work for British gas metering and our vans had these vents fitted. As the vans carried used gas meters in the back, the residual gas would rise and would then be vented out. You can always spot energy supplier vans that are involved in metering as they have these vents fitted, whereas service and repair vans largely don't.

There were a few Metroriders on the local bus fleet when I was younger, these had prominent twin whirly vents on the back end of the roof.

attachicon.gif4797465724_0ff85f2fae.jpg

That's where I remember them from most. Hated travelling on them - dark, almost black carpeted walls, no opening windows, no airflow and dual purpose seating = stuffy and claustrophobic.