03 Land Rover Freelander 1.8 Maasai Mara Hard Top 3dr

babydriver

I have written off my lovely Renault Megane and I am now on the look out for something else, I fancy another Megane buy the cc one this time but I only have around £1000 in the coffers, I have also fancied a Freelander so may scratch that itch, I know the 1.8 engine is the same as the M.G. lump so I take it I need to keep an eye out for head gaskets and am I right in thinking these are the chariots of choice that rot out the rear floors?

Paste the topic title into ebay and have a butchers yourself.

Any FGS don't do it advice welcome please.

They're not as bad as other LR offerings for rot, possibly because most of them never venture beyond paved roads.

The 1800cc petrol version is indeed powered by the Rover K16, so make sure the cooling system is up to scratch and the cambelt has been replaced at the recommended intervals.

A notoriously common fault is the viscous coupling unit failing, which is often addressed* by the complete removal of the unit and propshaft, which makes the car front wheel drive only.

Being a LR product, various irritating electric faults are to be expected, but they're again nowhere as bad as the contemporary Discovery and Range Rover.

A notoriously common fault is the viscous coupling unit failing, which is often addressed* by the complete removal of the unit and propshaft, which makes the car front wheel drive only.

Only on the early ones which had a slightly different axle ratio front to back with the viscous coupling taking up the difference. From late 2001 on they have the same ratio front and back and don't seem to fail as often.

You were supposed to fit a new viscous coupling every 60000 miles but no one ever did.

Dieselnutjob is right about the axle ratios and later ones being better, but a massive problem is people not paying attention to the tyres - they must have the same make/model of tyre all round with a minimal difference in wear, with the least worn ones on the rear, otherwise the difference in rolling diameter will overwork the viscous coupling, it becomes too stiff, winds up the transmission and breaks the transfer box.

A quick look on ebay reveals probably 80% for sale have different tyre brands front and rear.....avoid.

Mine lived most its life  in the north of Scotland and required a fair bit of welding to each sill.