Skizzer’s Elite: Lotushite

Skizzer

It does, from teeny to London Underground spec (nearly), and the 70mm sq block I used should have been about right for about 9mm diameter. With hindsight 50mm sq would have been better - but now the terminal doesn’t want to go back on the cable to re-try it.

I meant to say, because the cross sectional area comprises many strands (with air gaps inbetween), 9mm diameter will correspond to something like 25 sq.mm, not the 70 sq.mm you would expect by calculating the area.

I meant to say, because the cross sectional area comprises many strands (with air gaps inbetween), 9mm diameter will correspond to something like 25 sq.mm, not the 70 sq.mm you would expect by calculating the area.

Not sure...70sq mm is the crimping tool insert that roughly fits over the terminal though - 25 would be way too small. I’ve ordered some new 70sq mm terminals, will see what turns up.

• 4 months later...

Bollocks, a puddle has appeared.

attachicon.gif0BF21FF0-02BE-4FFF-8AC0-0E92213184BB.jpeg

Source isn’t obvious - my first thought was brake fluid but the reservoir looks full, so I suspect it’s coolant.

Yes yes, I know - Usually Serious.

Hmm, well, clutch and brakes work, power steering works, no water obviously gushing out while it’s running...maybe I’d just driven through a puddle before I parked up and it’s been too cold this week for it to evaporate.

I’ve stuck a big sheet of cardboard underneath to see what transpires, if anything.

Doesn’t really smell of anything, and isn't oily. There’s no dry patch under where the tyre was, oddly. It certainl could just be rainwater drained off, except it was mainly dry last time we went out...but there are plenty of puddles on the farm roads. Fingers crossed.

This may have been asked already but what does 503 signify?

It’s the Lotus equivalent of ‘Elite GLS’.

50x = Elite (53x was Eclat, etc)

501 = buttery biscuit base

502 adds aircon

503 adds power steering and a Philips dictaphone

504 adds autobox...assuming you feel an auto is an addition to a Lotus.

Hope that is nothing serious on the leak,they have a habit of leaking,mostly oil....

Have you got the Philips turnolock and Dictaphone in yours?

Its 45 years since launch this year and I think theres going to be some sort of Elite/Eclat gathering.

Recently been doing a few things on mind but often I have to just walk away from it,sure you have been there?

Oh yes, I know that feeling.

Sadly mine doesn’t have the Turnolock or Dictaphone any more. They do come up for sale occasionally, but are awfy dear.

I’m not a great one for shows or owners’ clubs but I’d be interested in an Elite/Eclat gathering I think - if only to meet yours. Mine would definitely drag down the average, appearance-wise, but I’ve never let that stop me.

Thanks - I’ve spent a bit on it, so it’s mechanically pretty sorted. It also has a galvanised chassis, which is one of the main reasons for buying this particular one. It’s very scruffy outside though (inside is perfectly habitable).

It needs a new diff and some rewiring under the dash; otherwise I’ve really only had the sort of niggles you’d expect from any car that’s been off the road a long time.

They are such ace cars to drive and look at that you can forgive a lot, I think.

Forgive my ignorance of 1970s yuppie gewgaws; what is a turnolock?

It’s a posh radio, sorry wireless, that has a programmable button that remembers pre-set stations. I have no idea how, as it seems to be entirely mechanical: it’s a work of steampunk art.

For even more corduroy-suited executive flash points, the Elite 503 and 504 also came with a microphone mounted under the dash and a tape recorder so you could dictate a memo and give it to Sylvia in the typing pool when you got to the office. (Sylvia hated this because mostly what she could hear was exhaust noise and Emperor Rosko playing Parliament of Funk on the Turnolock.)

25v6turbo’s one still has all this kit. Mine has an 80s Panasonic unit. I am very jealous.

Could the damp patch be screenwash? Not familiar with at all, but my mini melted a washer jet hose in France on the way to Lemans, I almost fainted seeing water pouring from underneath a K Series :D

Good shout, but the screenwash bottle is over on the other side.

As an aside, the washer nozzles are just comedy bits of copper pipe that you bend to aim. Because they’re lighter.

I’m hoping Rob’s right and it’s just runoff that hasn’t dried.

For even more corduroy-suited executive flash points, the Elite 503 and 504 also came with a microphone mounted under the dash and a tape recorder so you could dictate a memo and give it to Sylvia in the typing pool when you got to the office. (Sylvia hated this because mostly what she could hear was exhaust noise and Emperor Rosko playing Parliament of Funk on the Turnolock.)

I wonder how many were used to build a record of niggling faults which was then passed to or thrown at the service agent.